Videowave Wont Take Video Files

mike76

Question

I tried to email support but it wont take my login even though it sent me a link with new password reset and everything i still cant log in.

We have been unable to use the videowave portion of the product since we purchased it. I have a new Dell XPS system, which came with EMC9, it worked a few times and then quit with this error in videowave "the current production is empty or contains invalid files" when any video type is added to the production. I tried removing 9 and installing 10 with the clean install method, still didnt work. I have since wiped the pc clean, reinstalled Windows Media Center clean, updated media player to 11, installed packs of 3rd party codecs prior to installing EMC10 thinking it was a codec issue. I still get this same error in videowave even after a fresh install of windows and EMC10. There is nothing in the details box, in fact a few times when the program errors, i get no text inside the error window at all.

Yes, ive tried avi (both divx and xvid) mpg, mpg2, wmv, etc..... all codecs are installed and run fine outside of program

Yes ive done the clean install

Yes ive updated direct x

18 answers to this question

Final (?) solution for me was to re-install Windows (!) and all my software (!!!). It's back to working now. And I have no idea why it stopped. AND, I hope I don't have to do thata again.

Is there a way to re-load systems/programs (registers) back in time before programs were added/modified?

Gary

At times, I've waited ten minutes or longer (just walked away & came back). Most of the time, just 2-3 minutes. System always lists program as "Not Reponding".

Biggest issue is that it worked fine for my last project (always works that way), and now doesn't. Clearly something happened to cause the issue, but clean install doesn't appear to fix it. I think there's a file, or register that I'm missing in the clean install.

Dell Vostro 200, C2D, MT, E4500 (2.2 GHz)

2GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz

128MB Nvidia GeForce 8300GS

160GB SATA, 7200rpm, 8MB cache

48X Combo CD/DVD

16X DVD +/-RW

19" Dell wide E198WFP LCD Monitor

XP Pro

I tried to email support but it wont take my login even though it sent me a link with new password reset and everything i still cant log in.

We have been unable to use the videowave portion of the product since we purchased it. I have a new Dell XPS system, which came with EMC9, it worked a few times and then quit with this error in videowave "the current production is empty or contains invalid files" when any video type is added to the production. I tried removing 9 and installing 10 with the clean install method, still didnt work. I have since wiped the pc clean, reinstalled Windows Media Center clean, updated media player to 11, installed packs of 3rd party codecs prior to installing EMC10 thinking it was a codec issue. I still get this same error in videowave even after a fresh install of windows and EMC10. There is nothing in the details box, in fact a few times when the program errors, i get no text inside the error window at all.

Yes, ive tried avi (both divx and xvid) mpg, mpg2, wmv, etc..... all codecs are installed and run fine outside of program

Yes ive done the clean install

Yes ive updated direct x

Look at Post #3, in the following link. It may help you.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=36719

Is there any error message generated or does your screen just freeze?

No message of any kind. Just freezes.

Follow the steps in the Clean Install.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=24606

Did 4 clean installs. After each, Videowave seems like it's going to work (recognizes the video files of all type) but when it tries to load, locks up. After forcing the program to end and restarting, VW won't even recognize the video files. And, sometimes won't recognize photo files. Cinemagic still works. Moving from CM to VW to edit opens VW, but after loading the file, VW freezes.

Thanks for the help.

No message of any kind. Just freezes.

Did 4 clean installs. After each, Videowave seems like it's going to work (recognizes the video files of all type) but when it tries to load, locks up. After forcing the program to end and restarting, VW won't even recognize the video files. And, sometimes won't recognize photo files. Cinemagic still works. Moving from CM to VW to edit opens VW, but after loading the file, VW freezes.

Thanks for the help.

Define "freezes". How long do you wait before you decide the program is frozen?

Could you list your system specs especially video card?

Define "freezes". How long do you wait before you decide the program is frozen?

Could you list your system specs especially video card?

At times, I've waited ten minutes or longer (just walked away & came back). Most of the time, just 2-3 minutes. System always lists program as "Not Reponding".

Biggest issue is that it worked fine for my last project (always works that way), and now doesn't. Clearly something happened to cause the issue, but clean install doesn't appear to fix it. I think there's a file, or register that I'm missing in the clean install.

Dell Vostro 200, C2D, MT, E4500 (2.2 GHz)

2GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz

128MB Nvidia GeForce 8300GS

160GB SATA, 7200rpm, 8MB cache

48X Combo CD/DVD

16X DVD +/-RW

19" Dell wide E198WFP LCD Monitor

XP Pro

Like John said, something is going on with your computer, between the time EMC works, and when it stops working again. YOU need to find out what that is.

No way dude, this is the 3rd computer we have done it on, all different. This computer was purchased specifically from Dell to do video editing, in fact it came with Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, which also didnt work, preloaded onto it. Its not the machine(s)

Its not a rights issue as each domain account has been granted administrator rights to the local machine itself, in fact it doesnt' even work under the local administrator login.

Try again.

The Dell version of EMC differs from the retail one - I'm afraid no-one here has a copy so we'd be hard pressed to tell you what the problem might be

If, as you say, it was pre-installed on a Dell machine and has never worked correctly, you would have to bring that up with Dell tech support (they'll no doubt try to shift it back here but as it's their installation on their OS, it's their baby)

Final (?) solution for me was to re-install Windows (!) and all my software (!!!). It's back to working now. And I have no idea why it stopped. AND, I hope I don't have to do thata again.

Is there a way to re-load systems/programs (registers) back in time before programs were added/modified?

Gary

The Format C:\ is the best way to go… Restore and all these other band aids are just that, band-aids!

Failures are most often not the result of ONE THING but rather an accumulation of several things. Restore etc. just go back to an earlier level of accumulation.

I was able to chat with an online support agent back on 5/20/08 regarding this issue. His solution was to try it with a different user name. It did work fine under any user account other than the one with the issue. So the solution was something (never defined what something was) was wrong with that user account. I needed to delete it and recreate it. This did work. The user was then able to add files for 1 project that week. She tried it again 3 days ago and the error is back.

Re-creating user accounts is an unacceptable temp fix for this error. The time has passed for a refund on the product so im still waiting on an agent once again in chat to find an acceptable solution or refund for the product.

Sony Vegas works flawless by the way, prehaps people should spend the same amount of money elsewhere for video editing. I have to compare Roxio products to AOL products from my years of experience and was very hesitant to even purchase it. I only purchased it because the user that was going to be doing the editing used it at home and liked it. I should have known better for business,my mistake.

The clean install option is [expletive deleted], it doesnt solve anything. Its the typical phone tech response to any common error. Ive done a clean install. Ive wiped the pc and reinstalled os, the issue lies somewhere in the program.

what was your last step before you receive "the current production is empty or contains invalid files" error message?

open program, click add files, choose video file, error

yes that does work , not every time though. That is still yet another unacceptable temp fix for an obvious known issue.

Have you experimented with various video files of various types? It could be that the video files that you are trying to use have a problem and the easiest way to find that out is to try several different types of video from several different sources.

John, Thanks for the reply.

Videowave does not recognize any video format. If you select a file and try to load it, that's when Videowave locks up. MyDVD does recognize and open these same video files. Are both programs using the same codecs?

John, Thanks for the reply.

Videowave does not recognize any video format. If you select a file and try to load it, that's when Videowave locks up. MyDVD does recognize and open these same video files. Are both programs using the same codecs?

Follow the steps in the Clean Install.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=24606

I also am having a similar problem. EMC 10 worked fine on the last project (~3 weeks ago). But now locks up everytime I try to add a video file (photos are OK). I also did a clean install, but no luck. Tried loading Videowave from the start menu and still have the same issue. I like the program, but this has me stumped.

Have you experimented with various video files of various types? It could be that the video files that you are trying to use have a problem and the easiest way to find that out is to try several different types of video from several different sources.

open program, click add files, choose video file, error

yes that does work , not every time though. That is still yet another unacceptable temp fix for an obvious known issue.

Like John said, something is going on with your computer, between the time EMC works, and when it stops working again. YOU need to find out what that is.

I also am having a similar problem. EMC 10 worked fine on the last project (~3 weeks ago). But now locks up everytime I try to add a video file (photos are OK). I also did a clean install, but no luck. Tried loading Videowave from the start menu and still have the same issue. I like the program, but this has me stumped.

Archived