Emc 8

momoney747

Question

OK, I admit, I've had this for over a year and haven't used it. I decided to try it today to transfer a vacation from Sony DV tape to a DVD.

I captured the tape only to discover it created a file 15 gigs big (about an hour and a half).

How the devil do I shrink it so it will fit on a 4.7 gig DVD? :blink:

4 answers to this question

OK, I admit, I've had this for over a year and haven't used it. I decided to try it today to transfer a vacation from Sony DV tape to a DVD.

I captured the tape only to discover it created a file 15 gigs big (about an hour and a half).

Actually the file should even be bigger if you captured to DV avi :rolleyes:

File size means nothing when creating a video DVD, its the time length of the video that matters. A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of best quality video. Anything longer and the video has to be compressed. If your video is longer than 60 minutes, using mtDVD burn to an iso (image) file and then use DiscCopier to burn that iso file to a DVD. The DVD will be transcoded to fit on the DVD

Are you using EMC 8 or EMC 9? You subject line says EMC 8 but you are posting in EMC 9 :unsure:

Don't worry about the size. What is important is that you can put up to one hours of video on a single sides disc at best quality. You can put up to 2 hours at a somewhat reduced quality (bitrate). When you finish your editing in Video Wave, save the project and open my DVD. Make you menu (or not) and encode (burn ) to an ISO file at best quality. Do not burn to a disc at the same time. Once the encoding is finished, copy the ISO file to your blank DVD. For more details, read this (link)

File size means nothing when creating a video DVD, its the time length of the video that matters. A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of best quality video. Anything longer and the video has to be compressed. If your video is longer than 60 minutes, using mtDVD burn to an iso (image) file and then use DiscCopier to burn that iso file to a DVD. The DVD will be transcoded to fit on the DVD

Are you using EMC 8 or EMC 9? You subject line says EMC 8 but you are posting in EMC 9 :unsure:

I guess I am not familiar with these forums.......................I could not find one for EMC 8.

Anyway, you mentioned mtDVD.........?

I hate to be a bother, however where can I find step by step instructions to do this?

Don't worry about the size. What is important is that you can put up to one hours of video on a single sides disc at best quality. You can put up to 2 hours at a somewhat reduced quality (bitrate). When you finish your editing in Video Wave, save the project and open my DVD. Make you menu (or not) and encode (burn ) to an ISO file at best quality. Do not burn to a disc at the same time. Once the encoding is finished, copy the ISO file to your blank DVD. For more details, read this (link)

Sknis, thanks for your quick reply.

All I want to do is transfer from tape to DVD, no editing......I can use fast forward on the DVD player. I am adhering to the KISS principal as I have about 10 tapes to transfer.

Again, thanks to you and myguggi.

I guess I am not familiar with these forums.......................I could not find one for EMC 8.

Anyway, you mentioned mtDVD.........?

I hate to be a bother, however where can I find step by step instructions to do this?

Sknis, thanks for your quick reply.

All I want to do is transfer from tape to DVD, no editing......I can use fast forward on the DVD player. I am adhering to the KISS principal as I have about 10 tapes to transfer.

Again, thanks to you and myguggi.

Read the manual or use the Help system. They give a basic description of what you want to do.

Archived