• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Flac Format?

Jauchart

Question

I'd like to burn my CD collection to a hard drive. I've done this in the past in WAV format, but would like to try FLAC and MP3 to compare file size and sound quality.

1. Any opinions on the relative benefits of FLAC and WAV?

2. how do I do this using Roxio Media 9?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Wav would be the best way to go if you have the disc space for it.It's the music with no compression or loss.

FLAC would probably be next best as it offers compression without loss.They say no loss of quality with about 40-50% file size savings.

Any other format (MP3,WMA,etc..) all use high compression rates that lead to loss of information from the original.Depending on the bitrate you will get various size files.

Using v9 you can rip the tracks from the CD using a couple different ways but the easiest is probably from the Home app.You'll find the ripper under Audio.

OK, I selected Audio/Recordnow/ConvertCDs. The default setting here is MP3, and I can't find where to select a different format. How do I tell it to convert to Flac or Wav?

Thanks.

You want to use Music Disc Creator or Sound Editor to convert audio files. In Music Disc Creator, add your files to the window then you can right click on them and export to flac (use the Custom setting). You might actually like working in Sound Editor better. You have more choices but there's a small learning curve.

If you want to do it the way you have been go to the bottom right corner where the Burn button is and click on Options.

Look under Audio,Conversion and you can change the format and possibly the bitrate (depending on format).

I'd like to burn my CD collection to a hard drive. I've done this in the past in WAV format, but would like to try FLAC and MP3 to compare file size and sound quality.

1. Any opinions on the relative benefits of FLAC and WAV?

2. how do I do this using Roxio Media 9?

Thanks

I have a number of flac files on my hard drive and to my ears, can't tell the difference. I've never closely monitored file sizes to see how they match up but wav files are more universal and will likely be less trouble converting to other formats than flac which, although popular, not as accessible as flac. That's simply only my opinion though.

Archived