Time vs Size

Syrallas

Question

I still think the problem was roxio could not handle the size because the 6th movie is NOT corrupt.

Thanks for your input.

Well, if each file is only 14 mb, and you had 6 files, for a total of 84 mb, Roxio can handle way more than that. I've burned discs w/ data coming close to the 4.7 gb capacity. Anyway, glad you are getting there. Do you have a DVD-RW you could use as a "test" disc?

6 answers to this question

Well, if each file is only 14 mb, and you had 6 files, for a total of 84 mb, Roxio can handle way more than that. I've burned discs w/ data coming close to the 4.7 gb capacity. Anyway, glad you are getting there. Do you have a DVD-RW you could use as a "test" disc?

Syrallas: As I said, file size cannot be used for any measure of how big a DVD Movie will be…

You "logic" is badly flawed.

Syrallas: As I said, file size cannot be used for any measure of how big a DVD Movie will be…

You "logic" is badly flawed.

Jim:

Not quite sure how my logic was badly flawed -- my response was addressing his comment that seemed to suggest Roxio could not handle a 14 mb file size (or perhaps 6 of them, each @ 14 mb). I merely noted that Roxio can handle much bigger file sizes. I never addressed your (correct) comments that the time the program takes to encode and then burn is a function of the PC, overall length of the project and the format of the source material. I'd be interested in finding out how it worked out for Mamat.

Jim:

Not quite sure how my logic was badly flawed -- my response was addressing his comment that seemed to suggest Roxio could not handle a 14 mb file size (or perhaps 6 of them, each @ 14 mb). I merely noted that Roxio can handle much bigger file sizes. I never addressed your (correct) comments that the time the program takes to encode and then burn is a function of the PC, overall length of the project and the format of the source material. I'd be interested in finding out how it worked out for Mamat.

Your statement "Well, if each file is only 14 mb, and you had 6 files, for a total of 84 mb, Roxio can handle way more than that. I've burned discs w/ data coming close to the 4.7 gb capacity." is only true if creating data DVDs and is totally irrelevant for a video DVD

Your statement "Well, if each file is only 14 mb, and you had 6 files, for a total of 84 mb, Roxio can handle way more than that. I've burned discs w/ data coming close to the 4.7 gb capacity." is only true if creating data DVDs and is totally irrelevant for a video DVD

Fair enough. I do a lot of both and did not appreciate the difference.

Is there a reason why (or is an answer to my query taking it to far from the OP's issue)?

Depending on the compression used in the input file and the bitrate selected in the output file the final file size can change tremendously!

Souce files:

• xxxx.avi = 13Gb
  • xxxx.avi = 3Gb
  • xxxx.mpg = 1.2Gb
  • xxxx.mpg = 25Mb

But all of the above only contain 1 hour of video.

So Time is really the deciding factor. Take a 1 hour video clip into VideoWave and try various formats using Output As and see what happens.

And remember, a 4.7Gb DVD will only hold about 1 hour long DVD Movie at best quality. There is nothing that can change that!

Depending on the compression used in the input file and the bitrate selected in the output file the final file size can change tremendously!

Souce files:

• xxxx.avi = 13Gb
  • xxxx.avi = 3Gb
  • xxxx.mpg = 1.2Gb
  • xxxx.mpg = 25Mb

But all of the above only contain 1 hour of video.

So Time is really the deciding factor. Take a 1 hour video clip into VideoWave and try various formats using Output As and see what happens.

And remember, a 4.7Gb DVD will only hold about 1 hour long DVD Movie at best quality. There is nothing that can change that!

Thanks for the info. Haven't tried it yet but hope to try and if I do I will get back.

I never realized that you could have such significantly different file sizes but all = 1 hour of video. That's important to keep in mind, thanks.

Archived