Adding Files And Folders For Data Cd

MisterM

Question

To select files to add to a data CD/DVD you click on the "Add Data" tab. You then get two choices, either "Add files" or "Add folder". When selecting files the windows file box opens and you can select one or more files, but you cannot select folders, you must do that separately. Very annoying, especially since for some baffling reason you can only select one folder at a time!!

Is there any way to change this to the obvious common sense approach, where I can simply open up the "Add Data" window and select whatever files and folders I want?

8 answers to this question

You seem to really have a thing for "dumb programmers"… Have you ever written a single line of code in your life?

Things are always 'so simple' to those that don't have a clue what is involved…

While I don't have a background in writing code, I have been around and worked on computers since the mid-80s. I have installed and used hundreds of programs on many different computers. The quirks I am talking about don't require rocket science to implement, only common sense. And in the example mentioned, far simpler programs offer "common sense" file handling, it seems pretty obvious that even a first-year programmer would know that users of the program would not want to be limited to transferring one folder at a time, and then a separate action to load files. The best programmers write code so that their programs require the minimum amount of steps to implement its features and actions, and in a user-friendly way. I suspect that many program writers never actually use the programs they code, or they would realize these types of shortcomings. In many cases is just a matter of being lazy or perhaps they just don't care.

I spend many hours a day behind a computer, and I get easily frustrated when I run across programs that require unnecessary extra effort to navigate. For example, take something that I use hundreds of times per week - the "Print" window. With most of the HP printers I have and have had, I open up the main window. From there I can select the number of copies to print, 1-page or all pages, and the number of copies. So far so good. But I want to print in Draft mode, so now I have to open a second box. When I open that box I have to select another tab, "Printing Shortcuts", then open up a drop-down box to change print quality to Draft. Next, I have to select the "Features" tab to select Portrait/Landscape.

When I run across moronic programming like this I have to shake my head in disbelief, as even a third-grader could figure out to put all of the most common functions in the FIRST window (doh!!). "Number of copies", "Portrait/Landscape", "Draft/quality" mode obviously belong in the opening window and should not require step after step to access and set. THIS type of programming requires no extra effort or complicated programming - the code is already there and arranging it differently should be able to be accomplished by anyone writing code - if not they are in the wrong field, no pun intended.

And while we are on the subject of "dumb" programming, I'll offer another classic example- windows boxes that you open and cannot re-size. Especially windows that have several columns of information that you cannot fully read until you stretch the column width. In many cases, you only have enough room to stretch and see one column at a time, you must go through each and every column, widen it, and then scroll across to view the information. This kind of idiocy I cannot fathom. Here you have tons of information and someone is not smart enough to make a large enough window to display it all. Unbelievable. And even when the programmer is smart enough to add a stretch function to enlarge a box, they don't think of adding a check-box option that says "Remember window settings". Don't get me started on programs that don't remember settings, that would take a whole book to write about.

It's only in little one-horse software shops that programmers get to design how applications work or how the user interface will work. In the bigger places software designers decide all this, and only the final job of writing the code to make that happen is given to the programmers.

I suspect you should blame the software designers, instead of upsetting people on the boards who are programmers. :)

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention - in some companies the software is designed by Management and Sales people, and you can tell!! :(

Is that the only workaround? It's just baffling to me that Roxio programmers lack so much common sense when it comes to the design and layout of their programs.

Contact Roxio, directly, then. :huh: After all, it does say Files OR Folders, so it looks like the program is working properly.

Creator Classic is the best choice for burning your data. It isn't a workaround.

Is that the only workaround? It's just baffling to me that Roxio programmers lack so much common sense when it comes to the design and layout of their programs.

That particular program is actually a Sonic one. The Roxio one is Creator Classic, and it offers you much better utility.

That particular program is actually a Sonic one. The Roxio one is Creator Classic, and it offers you much better utility.

Ahh, didn't realize that, I will blame the folks at Sonic then. Still can't believe a programmer was dumb enough to design such a ridiculous and tedious method to load files into the recording cue.

Ahh, didn't realize that, I will blame the folks at Sonic then. Still can't believe a programmer was dumb enough to design such a ridiculous and tedious method to load files into the recording cue.

You seem to really have a thing for "dumb programmers"… Have you ever written a single line of code in your life?

Things are always 'so simple' to those that don't have a clue what is involved…

Archived