• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Iso9660 And Invalid Character Question

CharlesEF

Hi All,

I am slipstreaming my W2k CD with SP4 and hotfixes (monthly updates). Now I want to add extra content to run after the OS gets installed. This is where I have a problem.

I need to create a folder called $OEM$ in order for me to add my content. No problems while working on my hard disk. The problem is that when I burn the CD using the ISO9660 format the $ sign characters get changed to an underscore (_). It seems that the $ sign is an invalid character. I tried the joliet format and it does retain the $ signs but the disk does not work because of an NTDETECT error message.

I have seen other Windows install CD's with the $OEM$ folder (Dell, for example). How do I get the $ signs to stay as is?

Thanks for any help,

Charles

I only used W2K when forced to…

Try using the UDF File System w/No Bridge. Make sure you set the disc to Read Only when burning.

ISO9660 is the most restrictive File System and the $ is not going to work.

Joliet is less restrictive and I really see no reason why it wouldn't work. It still has character restrictions.

UDF is the least restrictive optical media File System and if it doesn't work, you need to talk to MS to find out why!

Hi,

I tried your suggestion but the CD is unreadable after the burn (I get some function error message when I tried to browse the CD). I also tried UDF with ISO9660 bridge and it did retain the $ but I get a 'NTDETECT failure' message right after the CD boots. I then tried UDF with Joliet bridge and it also retained the $ but the CD does not boot. At least during my 10 or so tests the boot did not work but the CD is readable. It would stop at the boot CD prompt and I should get a 2nd prompt to press a key within 5 seconds to boot the CD. This 2nd prompt never shows up. The CD grinds away for a while then just boots to the HD. Thanks for your suggestions.

Any other help is welcome,

Charles

Hi Charles,

try this tool called nlite, i use it all the time in my PC service shop.

it lets you do everything and more with your service packs, patchs and updates in your windows 2000 cd's

have a read here:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=sh...;showarticle=49

im sure it will sort your issue

(PS: sorry to but in here Jim)

Hi,

Well, I got my boot CD working but not with Roxio Deluxe 9. I download a program called 'MagicISO' and it did the job. Why did it work? I have no idea. I used ISO9660 and I also checked off 'Joliet Secondary Volume Descriptor and Directories using Unicode'. It kept the $OEM$ without changing the $ sign to the _ character.

Maybe Roxio needs to look into adding ISO9660 with a Joliet bridge (or whatever they might call it). I thought UDF was not readable until after Windows is installed but I could be wrong.

BTW, I had already seen nLite and the other program HSLIP (or something like that) and did not use them because my slipstreaming was done. I just needed to burn it to CD. If I understood correctly what those 2 programs do then maybe I will try one when I start work on my WinXP CD.

Thanks for all the help,

Charles

Archived