• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Pre-gap For Jukebox Cd's?

jangell2

Question

I have Roxio Creator Premier 9.1.573 which came with my Dell XPS. I've got an audio book with more than 99 tracks, and the Audio CD section of the software says I'm limited to 99 max, so I'm using the Jukebox Disc section. However in the Jukebox disc section I cannot find a way to edit the pre-gap information. I'd like to set it to zero, but am unable to find a way to do it.

I want each track to play with no pause between them and I think the pre-gap parameter controls this. How can I do this?

14 answers to this question

EMC 9 Sound Editor.
Well, I don't think that is free. I do have Roxio Creator Premior, v9. The only place I see pause detection is the section to convert LP's and cassettes to digital. It appears the program insists on an imput from one of these going into your sound card and it doesn't convert to mp3 during this process, from what I saw. Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to be a solution.

I don't believe you can do this in a Jukebox CD, because of what a Jukebox CD is rather than because the software is limited.

In an audio CD you can control transitions between tracks to the extent you can even overlap the audio.

A jukebox CD is merely a data CD with your original audio files burned on it, which is played by your player. The burning software does add an .M3U playlist file which lists the files in the order you want them played and an autolauncher which should start the disc playing, but the gap between the playing of the files depends on your player. If the player doesn't accept and obey .M3U files then it won't even play the files in the order you hoped for.

You might be better going after some sort of audio editor which will allow you to stitch together some or all of your audio book tracks so you only have one track, or less than 99. Then you could write it or them to an audio CD.

Regards,

Brendon

Well, I don't think that is free. I do have Roxio Creator Premior, v9. The only place I see pause detection is the section to convert LP's and cassettes to digital. It appears the program insists on an imput from one of these going into your sound card and it doesn't convert to mp3 during this process, from what I saw. Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to be a solution.

Do you have the Sound Editor application? I don't know what applications came with that OEM. Once you have the audio file on your computer, load it into Sound Editor and the detect as you see. After you have fine tuned where the tracks are, you export them to separate wav or mp3 files (your choice). Burn your audio CD or mp3 data disc.

post-58-1211835417.jpg

Although it is not free, Gold Wave has a very liberal trail period. It is a powerful audio editing program and inexpensive if you decide to buy it.

Do you have the Sound Editor application? I don't know what applications came with that OEM. Once you have the audio file on your computer, load it into Sound Editor and the detect as you see. After you have fine tuned where the tracks are, you export them to separate wav or mp3 files (your choice). Burn your audio CD or mp3 data disc.
I did see that section in Roxio. I forget now why I thought it wasn't right for me. The bullet item marked in your example would just create tracks per every 60 seconds or whatever was specified. Maybe the detect tracks would work for me. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering where I saw that Track Detection parameter, because I don't have Sound Editor. I will have to try out Goldwave and see how big a pain-in-the-patoot it is to create tracks manually.

I don't believe you can do this in a Jukebox CD, because of what a Jukebox CD is rather than because the software is limited.
Thank you for your reply. I started out with one big file and used Goldwave to split it into tracks of 5 minutes each. Therefor some sentences or even words are interrupted and then continued in the next track. That's why I want a 0 pre-gap. If I play the tracks on WinMediaPlayer, they sound fine, there is no interruption. I want individual tracks so that if I remove the cd from the car player, I can get back to where I was without having to fast forward through one large file.

Why the limit of 99 tracks for an audio CD? Is this a limit by roxio or an inherent limit in an audio cd?

Why the limit of 99 tracks for an audio CD? Is this a limit by roxio or an inherent limit in an audio cd?

It's part of the Red Book standard, which pre-dates Roxio by many years. Average track duration would be way less than a minute if you were trying to make 99 tracks.

Regards,

Brendon

It's part of the Red Book standard, which pre-dates Roxio by many years. Average track duration would be way less than a minute if you were trying to make 99 tracks.
I guess they weren't thinking of mp3's when they came up with that standard. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I think tomorrow I'll try burning an audio cd with mp3's and 0 pre-gap and see how it plays in my jeep mp3 player.

I don't know if MP3s had been thought of then, but the Red Book standard doesn't affect MP3s. You can only have 99 CD-Audio tracks on an audio disc, but you can have as many MP3 files as you can fit on an MP3 data disc.

Regards,

Brendon

I don't know if MP3s had been thought of then, but the Red Book standard doesn't affect MP3s. You can only have 99 CD-Audio tracks on an audio disc, but you can have as many MP3 files as you can fit on an MP3 data disc.
As I understand it, and audio CD can contain mp3's. Since it's an audio CD, I can control the pre-gap parameter, correct? At any rate, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Too sleepy to do it now.

What a great landing for the Phoenix mission.

You can call and disc with any sort of audio on it an "audio disc" I guess, but if it has files stored on it [.MP3, .OGG, .WAV etc, etc] then it's really a data disc and you can't control track transitions.

A proper "audio CD" is recorded in CD-Audio according to the Red Book standard [see here]. It is the original CD that music CD players were built to play. There are no files on it, just encoded audio in tracks. It has different sector lengths and error correction from data discs. You can control track transitions when making this type of disc.

You can make CD-Audio discs from music files. In these, your software converts the MP3, WAV, or whatever, into CD-Audio just before writing it to disc. The final disc is then a standard CD-Audio disc, regardless of the source of the audio signal.

To add to what Brendon said,an Audio cd should be thought about in time and an mp3 disc in space.

That same Redbook standard calls for a maximum of 78 minutes on a disc.When you make an audio cd you can put as many tracks on as will fit in that time limit,up to 99.

When you make an mp3 disc it's like any other data disc and you can put as many files on it as you wish until you run out of space.

I have found a couple of free ware splitters that use silence detection and have tried the first one. It is a very basic program, no install required, and it works. I haven't tried the second.

AudioBook Cutter

Slice

I compared the results of using audiobook cutter with my manual cues I had setup using gw and was happy with the results.

I just tried creating an audio cd with mp3's and as expected it showed the selected tracks would be 7 hours over the alloted space. Obviously, Roxio was going to convert the mp3's to wav files. I think the best solution for my problem is to find program that will split one large mp3 into multiple tracks based on pause detection. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that does this?

I just tried creating an audio cd with mp3's and as expected it showed the selected tracks would be 7 hours over the alloted space. Obviously, Roxio was going to convert the mp3's to wav files. I think the best solution for my problem is to find program that will split one large mp3 into multiple tracks based on pause detection. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that does this?

EMC 9 Sound Editor.

Archived