• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Rip Easy Archive Dvd To Hard Drive In Mp3

deleaton

Question

I ripped thousands of songs from vinyl to my hard drive in .wav format. I renamed each of the "Line In Track 001" track file names with one word tags that identify artist, title, album and genre, for example: "stangetz-girlfromipanema-album001-jazz." I used Roxio Easy Archive to make DVDs of these vinyl songs, and the DVDs will display their new tags properly on my PC and the songs play properly on Widows Media Player.

Is there any software out there that will allow me to rip these .wav DVDs back onto my hard drive in MP3/192 format? This would allow me to keep the songs archived in .wav on the new DVDs. Then I can delete all the .wav songs from my hard drive and replace them with the same songs in MP3/192. Once back on the hard drive in MP3, I can divide up the one-word tags using Tag & Rename, move them to iTunes Libary, and have "Stan Getz" appear in the Artist column, "Girl From Ipanema" in the Title column, etc. This works with vinyl tracks I've ripped to my hard drive in MP3, but I can't rip my .way DVDs back onto the hard drive in MP3/192.

Any suggestions?

6 answers to this question

Use Sound Editor.

Open Sound Editor,Hit Add Audio File.

Find the DVD drive and start adding the tracks.

When you get them added on the left where the Export box is hit Export Tracks/Clips.

When the box comes up make sure the line for Use Clips from Project is selected.

Set your output format and the location on your hard drive where you want them saved and then hit Export.

You may want to do a few tracks at a time as it takes a few to convert and export each clip.Plus the chances for error are less the fewer clips at a time.

I made a disc the way you did and this worked.

OOOPS! I told you wrong. What I described worked once and I couldn't get it to work again. To get an artist-title-album-genre Track File Name to stick with the song, you have to do it in Step 1, not Step 2 Tags, and click Advanced Options and type it in File Name Prefix.

This is quite a lot of clicking.

Del

Thanks, Terry. Your help and tbrewst's help got my going again. I found I hadn't scrolled down far enough in Sound Editor. I selected the track when I got to My Music, and it wouldn't work. I had to scroll on down way past My Music to find the new DVD title displayed on Drive E. Those .wav tracks would move to Sound Editor OK and I could send them back to hard drive in MP3 format.

I wish I'd have known a lot more before I started ripping those thousands of vinyls to hard drive with Roxio LP and Tape Assistant. That software allows you, in Step 2, to click "Tags" and to type a permanent Track File Name on each song which stays with it on the hard drive forever, no matter how many times you Rename. Rename only adds a tag that can find the TFN when you look for the song. You can burn a new DVD with Easy Achive or Music Disc Creator and the tags will stay on the new DVD when you display it, but if you try to rip the new DVD back to harddrive in a different format, you lose all the tags and go back to displaying "Line In Track 1" etc. Or, if you use Roxio Manage Media Import, all the tags are lost and you get "Movie 1, Scene 1," etc. and have to rename all over again. And even then the new renames don't replace the TFNS, they only attach to them and can be lost burning, ripping, etc.

Once back on the hard drive in MP3, Tag and Rename will accept the hyphenated TFNs as though they were tags and you can then Drag and Drop from Tag and Rename to iTunes, or any other library, and the vinyl songs display exactly like the songs you ripped in from CDs with factory tags and TFNs.

In Step 2, I should have typed "artist-title-album-genre" in as a permanent TFN for each track. This hyphenated TFN would have stayed with the track forever to rip, burn, edit, whatever.

Maybe this will help some of your other correspondents. Thanks again, Del Eaton

OOOPS! I told you wrong. I tried it again and couldn't get it to work. You have to go to LP and Tape Assistant Step 1, not Step 2, click Advanced Options and type it in File Name Prefix. This requires a lot of clicking, but the artist-title-album-genre enters as a Track File Name and stays with the song after you burn it and re-rip the new DVD back to hard drive in a compressed format. Del

Use Sound Editor.

When you get them added on the left where the Export box is hit Export Tracks/Clips.

When the box comes up make sure the line for Use Clips from Project is selected.

Set your output format and the location on your hard drive where you want them saved and then hit Export.

You may want to do a few tracks at a time as it takes a few to convert and export each clip.Plus the chances for error are less the fewer clips at a time.

Any suggestions?

Terry's suggestion is what you asked for.

If I had the files on the HD as wav, I would use Sound Editor and add the wav files, then export tracks and clips. One option is Mp3 Lame Encoder 192kbps CBR. Click the edit button and have custom output options up to 320kbps, VBR, and Joint Stero.

Converting time would be much faster with no wear and tear on your optical drives.

cd

Use Sound Editor.

Thanks Brew,

Your help was the breakthrough I needed to finish the project. Following your instructions, I found that, before, I'd only been scrolling down to the tracks in My Music, and I needed to scroll on down way past My Music to find the tracks on my E Drive, where the new DVD was stored. That got the .wav tracks off the new DVD and back to Sound Editor where I could get them back on the hard drive in MP3, rename them and get them into my libraries and iTunes via Tag and Rename. The new DVD tracks then display exactly the same as CDs ripped to the libraries.

I wish I'd known a lot more before I started ripping those thousands of vinyls to hard drive with Roxio LP and Tape Assistant. Step 2 of that software lets you click Tag, and here you have your only chance to assign a Track File Name to the tune. If you don't assign a TFN in artist-title-album-genre format, the software automatically assigns a TFN consisting of the name you typed in for the first track followed by "Line In Track 001," These TFNs stick with the track on your harddrive forever. You can Rename the track with carefully typed tags that will stay with the track when you burn a DVD with Roxio Easy Archive, but when you try to burn that new DVD back to harddrive in a different format, you loose all your tags and get only "Line In Track 001."

Step 2 is the only time to type in artist-title-album-genre, with hyphens, (so they work with Tag and Rename) and will stay with the song during subsequent Renaming, burning, ripping, editing, etc.

Terry's suggestion is what you asked for.

If I had the files on the HD as wav, I would use Sound Editor and add the wav files, then export tracks and clips. One option is Mp3 Lame Encoder 192kbps CBR. Click the edit button and have custom output options up to 320kbps, VBR, and Joint Stero.

Converting time would be much faster with no wear and tear on your optical drives.

cd

Thanks, Terry. Your help and tbrewst's help got my going again. I found I hadn't scrolled down far enough in Sound Editor. I selected the track when I got to My Music, and it wouldn't work. I had to scroll on down way past My Music to find the new DVD title displayed on Drive E. Those .wav tracks would move to Sound Editor OK and I could send them back to hard drive in MP3 format.

I wish I'd have known a lot more before I started ripping those thousands of vinyls to hard drive with Roxio LP and Tape Assistant. That software allows you, in Step 2, to click "Tags" and to type a permanent Track File Name on each song which stays with it on the hard drive forever, no matter how many times you Rename. Rename only adds a tag that can find the TFN when you look for the song. You can burn a new DVD with Easy Achive or Music Disc Creator and the tags will stay on the new DVD when you display it, but if you try to rip the new DVD back to harddrive in a different format, you lose all the tags and go back to displaying "Line In Track 1" etc. Or, if you use Roxio Manage Media Import, all the tags are lost and you get "Movie 1, Scene 1," etc. and have to rename all over again. And even then the new renames don't replace the TFNS, they only attach to them and can be lost burning, ripping, etc.

Once back on the hard drive in MP3, Tag and Rename will accept the hyphenated TFNs as though they were tags and you can then Drag and Drop from Tag and Rename to iTunes, or any other library, and the vinyl songs display exactly like the songs you ripped in from CDs with factory tags and TFNs.

In Step 2, I should have typed "artist-title-album-genre" in as a permanent TFN for each track. This hyphenated TFN would have stayed with the track forever to rip, burn, edit, whatever.

Glad it works the way you were hoping now.

The only thing I would do different is in the future instead of using Easy Archive is to use Creator Classic.It's good for making data discs ,which is all you're really doing.

Archived