No Files Or Folders On Dvd

Pete in a Muddle

Question

Ok so I would be the first to admit I am new to the idea of using DVD to create music discs. Up to now I have always just created CDR images of my MP3 collection

Now that I have retired and live in Spain, no I am not that old I took early reitrement, I thought I would look into my creative side...begining to wish I had not bothered

I bought EMC 10 as it got good write ups and appeared to be able to do all the things I want and a little more.

It doesn't...at least I can't get it to

I have now tried 5 times to create a DVD music disk with verying results that bear little resemblance to my intentions

1st attempt....no image on the DVD, although DVD reports used space of 2.3GB. No DVD player that I have ( and I have a few ) will play this disc

2nd attempt.... Same project ( to ensure like for like comparison ) created a folder Video_ts...nothing in it....same output and play results.

3rd attempt decided to create image to hard drive then use the copy convert method....disk plays in PC but not in any set top DVD player

4th attempt again using image and copy convert, had different results. Loads up in all my DVD players, then whizzes through all the menus at a very high speed, starts to play the first track but none of the on screen icons are valid, thus rendering any control over this disk null and void..

So you clever lot out there.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for saving me from going to the bar.....again...

Oh yes I said 5 attempts......"*"^$(*&$("*$*()"$(_ As 5th attempt is now a place mat.

16 answers to this question

Ok I see what you are saying but tried the simplest of lists as I too thought that I maybe asking too much of the programme ( which in itself would be disappointing )

Basic list of 50 tracks.

MP3, not limited and have all previously been burnt to CD/CDR/CDRW and DVD as MP3 files

All have played in my DVD drive on laptop, PC , set to DVD player and a DVD/VHS Combo, so I think it is safe to assume my drive is working both in read and write modes.

There are no "imported" images in the project, as this is new product and process to me I tend to keep things simple until I know it works and I have the basics taken care of.

I have just completed yet another simple project.

I saved this time to the hard disk as image and then saved again as project, thus protecting the original format.

This was saved to a Video_TS folder on my hard drive and within this folder there are

6 Files

2 VOB. 2 BUP, 2 IFO

one of the IFO files is VTS _1_0 clicking this did nothing, if I left click this file and ask it to open in Windows Media player it launches the image I expected to see on my DVD complete with interactive menus.

Will it work in WIN DVD, Cineplayer NO

did the resulting DVD now with the same files on, work in any of my other DVD players.

NO

Beats the hell out of me, but I can see this software being consigned to the dark dusty corners of my den

Ok I see what you are saying but tried the simplest of lists as I too thought that I maybe asking too much of the programme ( which in itself would be disappointing )

Basic list of 50 tracks.

MP3, not limited and have all previously been burnt to CD/CDR/CDRW and DVD as MP3 files

All have played in my DVD drive on laptop, PC , set to DVD player and a DVD/VHS Combo, so I think it is safe to assume my drive is working both in read and write modes.

There are no "imported" images in the project, as this is new product and process to me I tend to keep things simple until I know it works and I have the basics taken care of.

I have just completed yet another simple project.

I saved this time to the hard disk as image and then saved again as project, thus protecting the original format.

This was saved to a Video_TS folder on my hard drive and within this folder there are

6 Files

2 VOB. 2 BUP, 2 IFO

one of the IFO files is VTS _1_0 clicking this did nothing, if I left click this file and ask it to open in Windows Media player it launches the image I expected to see on my DVD complete with interactive menus.

Will it work in WIN DVD, Cineplayer NO

did the resulting DVD now with the same files on, work in any of my other DVD players.

NO

Beats the hell out of me, but I can see this software being consigned to the dark dusty corners of my den

What program in EMC 10 are you using to burn the Video_TS folder to the DVD?

Ok so I would be the first to admit I am new to the idea of using DVD to create music discs. Up to now I have always just created CDR images of my MP3 collection

Now that I have retired and live in Spain, no I am not that old I took early reitrement, I thought I would look into my creative side...begining to wish I had not bothered

I bought EMC 10 as it got good write ups and appeared to be able to do all the things I want and a little more.

It doesn't...at least I can't get it to

I have now tried 5 times to create a DVD music disk with verying results that bear little resemblance to my intentions

1st attempt....no image on the DVD, although DVD reports used space of 2.3GB. No DVD player that I have ( and I have a few ) will play this disc

2nd attempt.... Same project ( to ensure like for like comparison ) created a folder Video_ts...nothing in it....same output and play results.

3rd attempt decided to create image to hard drive then use the copy convert method....disk plays in PC but not in any set top DVD player

4th attempt again using image and copy convert, had different results. Loads up in all my DVD players, then whizzes through all the menus at a very high speed, starts to play the first track but none of the on screen icons are valid, thus rendering any control over this disk null and void..

So you clever lot out there.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for saving me from going to the bar.....again...

Oh yes I said 5 attempts......"*"^$(*&$("*$*()"$(_ As 5th attempt is now a place mat.

It would help if you were to describe exactly what you are doing! In none of your 5 attempts have you given any explanation how you are going about creating your project, what program in EMC 10 you are using.

To all of you who have offered help many thanks and here is the latest position

No matter what I try it "WILL NOT" compile and write disk directly.

The "getaround fix" is to write image to folder on HD then burn the subsequent image to DVD, which works as one would expect in any of my DVD playback devices.

So it sort of works.....my suggestion for Roxio's next media campaign

" Not Quite So Easy Media Creator 11, almost does what it says on the packet"

Thanks Guys.

To all of you who have offered help many thanks and here is the latest position

No matter what I try it "WILL NOT" compile and write disk directly.

The "getaround fix" is to write image to folder on HD then burn the subsequent image to DVD, which works as one would expect in any of my DVD playback devices.

So it sort of works.....my suggestion for Roxio's next media campaign

" Not Quite So Easy Media Creator 11, almost does what it says on the packet"

Thanks Guys.

What you call "getaround fix" is almost standard operating procedure for me as well as others. It seems to be the more reliable then burning directly to disc.

I am still unclear on exactly what you are doing but as long as you can get it to work that is all that matters.

It works for everyone else…

It does what it says but it is not a repair utility that will fix your PC :lol:

I once had a program called Easy CAD. I can assure CAD is not easy, nor is Video! If you see a program called Easy Rocket Science don't think you can install it and drive your Honda to the Moon...

It works for everyone else…

It does what it says but it is not a repair utility that will fix your PC :lol:

I once had a program called Easy CAD. I can assure CAD is not easy, nor is Video! If you see a program called Easy Rocket Science don't think you can install it and drive your Honda to the Moon...

I wouldnt mind it not fixing my PC if my PC needed fixing...

There seems to be little point in building "point and click" wizards into any programme ( music CAD or any other ) if that fails to work.

Other comments allude to "my work around ( for want of another term ) " being standard procedure, ergo the wizard seems superflous....

Call me old fashioned but I did expect to get what I paid for.

Oh yes, to date ROXIO, tech support have failed to come up with solution also, despite being practically given my PC bit by bit on line...

Yes it works now, but only by almost doing the same job twice.

As a belts and braces exercise, I have today completed projects in all of the other modules ( wizards included ) and output to CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD-/+R/

All work except the pesky Music DVD creator....

Now back to tuning up my Jeep and putting on the space tyres................. :P

It would help if you were to describe exactly what you are doing! In none of your 5 attempts have you given any explanation how you are going about creating your project, what program in EMC 10 you are using.

Well I have tried using the in built applications Quick Music DVD Creator to burn directly and create an image file for copy and convert to burn these attempts ( which is mentioned in first posting )

Firmware for DVD is up to date, did that before even installing EMC 10.

Have successfully compiled and written CD's from EMC10, Picture Disks, DVD Data files ( backup image ) and a small test movie file,

The problem only seems to manifest itself within the Musc DVD application, so I am guessing that all is not well within this app.

What seems really odd is the spurious nature of the finished ( and I use that term loosely ) DVD, the errors are not consistent.

SYSTEM Info/

Drive D:

Description CD-ROM Drive

Media Loaded No

Media Type CD-ROM

Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D

Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Status OK

Transfer Rate Not Available

SCSI Target ID 1

PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CD/DVDW_TS-L632D_______________HH16____\5&EF8520A&0&0.1.0

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name PEDROLAPTOP

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model HP 510 Notebook PC (RU964AA#ABU)

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~2261 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68DTV Ver. F.05, 31/10/2006

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"

User Name PEDROLAPTOP\Peter Pipkin

Time Zone Romance Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 112.23 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.20 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Any help is appreciated

The solution even more so.......

Would be nice if Roxio EMC10 did exactly what it says on the box.....

I too am not really clear on what you are doing???

It does seem that everything is right because it does play on a PC. It looks like you have a media/Player compatibility issue.

RW media is great to experiment with since you can reuse it. Try a different type, 'plus' if you were using 'dash' or the other way around.

[snip]

I wouldnt mind it not fixing my PC if my PC needed fixing...

There seems to be little point in building "point and click" wizards into any programme ( music CAD or any other ) if that fails to work.

You've got the right. They should drop all of that bloat and concetrate on making the other programs, within the suite, work better.

Instead of using Quick Music DVD from the Home application try using the full Music Disc Creator.

Get there from Start,Roxio EMC10 and then find it in the list.

Some people have had more luck using the app from the Start menu than the Quick way.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you use Music Disc Creator you have 3 choices for the format that will give you varying amounts of tracks depending on which you choose and the compression that it uses.

I have a five year old JVC settop DVD Player that won't play any DVD Music Disc created in Roxio EMC 9 or 10. A two year old Sony plays them fine.

Jim, the JVC won't play any DVD or CD 'RW' media. It does play DVD Audio tho (DVD-Audio is was in a format war with Super Audio CD (SACD)!

cd

I have tried

Maxell, TDK, Sony and Verbatim this morning since reading all of your replies and some other "similar" postings from the Video DVD threads.

Unfortunately the same seems to apply, various "finished" articles, which in itself of course has nothing to do with Media/Player compatability...

So all in all thus far from my perspective I would have to say EMC 10 is not "Easy" in any shape or form

Interestingly enough, Roxio have not deemed to answer my questions on this issue, but I don;t know if that is a normal response from Customer Services or not.....although I have my own preliminary thoughts on that one

Anyone else out there with any ideas I could certainly do with the help

Thanks to those who have already tried to help me save what little hair I have left.

I'm not sure what's going on Pete.I just made one of these discs using Music Disc Creator and it works just as I would expect.

If you make the disc using MDC try at first keeping the Smart Objects and Smart Menu options to a minimum to see what happens.

After you choose all the options and get the format set (File,Project Settings) add your tracks.

Remember you can only add 99 tracks per list.If you go over create another list.

After you hit burn watch the progress box.You should see it say "Encoding menus" and then "Encoding Clips".The clip part should take a while as the program converts the audio to whatever format you chose.After that it should say "Creating Music Disc" and then "Finalizing".Watch to see if all are successful.

If all those go ok then the disc should be good.Try playing it in Cineplayer on your computer.If it plays then the disc should be good.

Keep in mind that what you're creating is basically a DVD movie with just menus and a soundtrack.

Where did the music come from? Did you buy it from an on-line store? If it plays on your computer but not on a DVD player, it is possible that the DRM protection is giving you a problem although it is not likely. I don't remember anyone asking about a audio DVD using music directly from something like ITunes.

Since you are essentially making a video with few images and lots of music, you may be using some of the Video Wave / My DVD processing. Video Wave will not accept DRM protected music directly from the ITunes library. It may be similar for this application.

Have you tried burning just a audio CD or a mp3 CD? Do those work OK in the DVD player? Many will play both the audio and the mp3 cd's although some will not. You should not have any trouble burning either of those because your license to use the music probably allows you to make the CD a limited number of times.

Archived