• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Speed

dkearns2

Question

Need a reality check. Why do files of the same size take wildly different times to burn? I’m primarily burning 1 hour TV shows captured with a TV tuner card as an mpg file. Does editing the file in Videowave increase burning time? I try to set up the same for all burning projects (make certain there’s plenty of hard disk available, defrag, and then reboot), but it seems that simply burning a 1 hour mpg file directly to iso without editing always goes faster (10 to 15 minutes) than burning a 1 hour show where I edited out portions in Videowave and then burned to iso in DVD Builder (1 to 2 hours).

2 answers to this question

Need a reality check. Why do files of the same size take wildly different times to burn? I'm primarily burning 1 hour TV shows captured with a TV tuner card as an mpg file. Does editing the file in Videowave increase burning time? I try to set up the same for all burning projects (make certain there's plenty of hard disk available, defrag, and then reboot), but it seems that simply burning a 1 hour mpg file directly to iso without editing always goes faster (10 to 15 minutes) than burning a 1 hour show where I edited out portions in Videowave and then burned to iso in DVD Builder (1 to 2 hours).

This sounds normal to me.

The 'un-edited' mpeg files are likely already dvd compliant, based on the times you noted. This would mean that they can be used 'as is' in your project. So thay are just being compiled into the finished image file in a dvd structure. That's why it goes quickly.

The edited ones on the other hand are re-encoded during the burn process. It is normal for this to take the time you noted. A 1 hour edited video will typically take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours depending on your hardware and other processes that are running at the time.

This sounds normal to me.

The 'un-edited' mpeg files are likely already dvd compliant, based on the times you noted. This would mean that they can be used 'as is' in your project. So thay are just being compiled into the finished image file in a dvd structure. That's why it goes quickly.

The edited ones on the other hand are re-encoded during the burn process. It is normal for this to take the time you noted. A 1 hour edited video will typically take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours depending on your hardware and other processes that are running at the time.

Thanks

Archived