Bad Picture With Higher Or Lower Speed Video

Sol Rosenberg

Question

In Videowave, I have sped up and slowed down several of my video clips in the video editor. They look fine when I play them in the videowave preview. I burned the movie to disc using my dvd (the movie is 48 minutes total length) and the sped up and slowed down clips look like crap, but only when the camera is moving. So in other words, if I was panning with my camcorder, that part of the video is all lines and distortion. When it is being held steady and not panning, it looks fine. All the videos that were not messed with in video editor (i.e. they are playing at regular speed) look great.

Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

I have seen this suggestion in a number of cases..........what is the difference between the hardware setting and the software setting. AND, if there is so much trouble with it, why is the default not software............

thanks

I believe you will lose any 3D transitions you might have in your production if you use Software rendering. Also, for some I believe the encoding is quicker in hardware vs. software, though for me I use software setting, which is quicker for me personally.

I don't really care if SW is the default..........as long as ALL the options available with HDW are also with SW, like

the 3D transitions...............

They are not.

It will not be fixed in V10 and I would even doubt it in V11.

Actually it is only applicable to certain video cards and you and I just happen to have one.

This thread is complete.

I believe you will lose any 3D transitions you might have in your production if you use Software rendering. Also, for some I believe the encoding is quicker in hardware vs. software, though for me I use software setting, which is quicker for me personally.

I also noticed that this suggestion was suppose to be an answer to poor quality video once burned to a DVD...........

How would this correct those problems?

This will be my next try at fixing my problem...............

It only started with Roxio 10, R7 was just fine and to be honest, I got really comfortable with it.

If all I lose is some 3D transitions, no big deal, I have to assume that in later releases, they will fix the problem

I am having.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=39184

I hope the above goes to my initial question.

As I mentioned in the above thread, it was suggested I go to Nero which is suppose to be easier and better.........no idea on that.

I also noticed that this suggestion was suppose to be an answer to poor quality video once burned to a DVD...........

How would this correct those problems?

This will be my next try at fixing my problem...............

It only started with Roxio 10, R7 was just fine and to be honest, I got really comfortable with it.

If all I lose is some 3D transitions, no big deal, I have to assume that in later releases, they will fix the problem

I am having.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=39184

I hope the above goes to my initial question.

As I mentioned in the above thread, it was suggested I go to Nero which is suppose to be easier and better.........no idea on that.

"I also noticed that this suggestion was suppose to be an answer to poor quality video once burned to a DVD..........."

What do you mean by this statement? Once a DVD is burned, there is nothing you can do to change the quality :rolleyes:

Nero is not mentioned in this thread or the thread you link to, so I don't know where you get your information that "Nero is supposed to be easier and better".

"I also noticed that this suggestion was suppose to be an answer to poor quality video once burned to a DVD..........."

What do you mean by this statement? Once a DVD is burned, there is nothing you can do to change the quality :rolleyes:

Nero is not mentioned in this thread or the thread you link to, so I don't know where you get your information that "Nero is supposed to be easier and better".

I must have mentioned Nero in another thread.

The place I bought my PC from suggested I go with Nero, I was using Roxio 7 before that and had no problems with it,

so I wanted to stick with something I already knew (old guys don't like change). Except Roxio 10 turned out to be way different.

When I burn the DVD with rendering as hardware, the video is garbage, very hard to watch.

Software seemed to solve the problem. Only in Roxio 10 have I had this problem.

Anyway, the rendering to software solved my problem.

I hope Roxio is paying attention and fixes this bug in their next release............

Anyway, the rendering to software solved my problem.

I hope Roxio is paying attention and fixes this bug in their next release............

The hardware rendering was not an option in version 7.

But I agree that it needs to be fixed so that the Software Render is the default.

Something you can't avoid because all video camcorders use interlaced video. Unless you are shooting sports, avoid panning the camcorder really fast.

Hi Gary,

The problem was much more than the usual poorer quality with panning - it was all lines and distortion. It's been fixed now. Thanks.

In MyDVD, setting, Tools – Options – Rending to Software should remove that.

Burn an RW that way and see how it looks.

This was the solution - I actually figured it out reading another one of your posts before I read this reply (the iso is burning to 44 disks as I write this!). Thanks so much!

The hardware rendering was not an option in version 7.

But I agree that it needs to be fixed so that the Software Render is the default.

I don't really care if SW is the default..........as long as ALL the options available with HDW are also with SW, like

the 3D transitions...............

In MyDVD, setting, Tools – Options – Rending to Software should remove that.

Burn an RW that way and see how it looks.

I have seen this suggestion in a number of cases..........what is the difference between the hardware setting and the software setting. AND, if there is so much trouble with it, why is the default not software............

thanks

Archived