• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

AndreasvHaren

How Can I Burn A Combined Audio/date Cd?

Question

Hi!

I am trying to make an image file of a game cd. The problem is that the music is separated on this cd from the data as audio tracks and when I make an image file of the whole cd, only the date is included.

I am not doing anything illegal here. I bought this games many years ago (Alone in the Dark 1) and want to play it again. However, it doesn't work on my windows pc and so I try to run it with a dos simulator on my mac. It works, but without music. The maker of the dos simulator (Boxer) told me that it is not possible to have music because it cannot be found on the cd, and he advised me to make an image file instead and mount it. So far the game works, but there is no music. How do I make a complete image of my game cd that includes everything?

André

9 answers to this question

when you put the disc on your mac, 2 different discs show up? If this is so have you tried making 2 different images separately and then mounting both with toast on your desktop.

I have never seen a game this way. I do know some linux cd come this way. I made a copy of my zeta (which has 2 partitions), the only software that worked for me at that time was alcohol 120 (making and then burning image). I honestly dont know if there is a mac software that can do this. maybe someone can help here

You'll probably have to copy the audio and the data to your computer and then manually re-create the disc image.

But I don't think the audio and data should be n the same directory on the image file. How do I know where to put it?

when you put the disc on your mac, 2 different discs show up? If this is so have you tried making 2 different images separately and then mounting both with toast on your desktop.

I have never seen a game this way. I do know some linux cd come this way. I made a copy of my zeta (which has 2 partitions), the only software that worked for me at that time was alcohol 120 (making and then burning image). I honestly dont know if there is a mac software that can do this. maybe someone can help here

I tried this but it doesn't work, there is still no music when I start the game.

To be honest with you, it has been so long I dont quite remember how to make a mixed mode CD. I think you have to simply add the audio to an audio layout and the data to the ISO layout and then choose save as disc image. Is that what you did?

I found in the help of Toast info on how to make a mixed mode cd. I did exactly what they said but it doesn't work; the original cd is about 280 mb or so, the cd image only 50 mb. And when using the image by mounting it, the game still has no music. Isn't their a way to just copy the complete cd and write it a s image?

André

Not really, because traditional CD images store data and audio in separate sessions, so they are usually split into several different files. There may not be a simple way to produce a disc image like you need.

Not really, because traditional CD images store data and audio in separate sessions, so they are usually split into several different files. There may not be a simple way to produce a disc image like you need.

Then what is the point of the mixed mode in Toast?

Then what is the point of the mixed mode in Toast?

The point seems to be that it allows you to record data and audio on the same CD. That is, IF you figure out the steps that are missing in Toast 8's User Manual and Help. Here's how to make the CD:

1. Click on "Audio," then "Mixed Mode CD" in the formats panel. (If "Mixed Mode CD" isn't listed, open Toast's Preferences and in the General pane, check "Show legacy formats & settings.")

2. Drag the desired audio files to the Content Area.

3. Click on "Data," then "Mac & PC" in the formats panel.

4. Drag the desired data files to the Content Area.

5. Insert a blank recordable CD (for test purposes, try this on a CD-RW first).

6. Click the red Record button

7. Click the "Basic" tab, then choose your desired settings.

7. Click the "Advanced" tab, then in "Write Mode" choose "TAO" for Audio & "Write Session" for Data.

8. Now click the blue Record button.

I don't know why Roxio skips the "Write Mode" steps in their instructions. Probably a proofreading error nobody noticed because nobody tested the current instructions! Sorry, I haven't tried making a disc image from the CD yet.

The point seems to be that it allows you to record data and audio on the same CD. That is, IF you figure out the steps that are missing in Toast 8's User Manual and Help. Here's how to make the CD:

1. Click on "Audio," then "Mixed Mode CD" in the formats panel. (If "Mixed Mode CD" isn't listed, open Toast's Preferences and in the General pane, check "Show legacy formats & settings.")

2. Drag the desired audio files to the Content Area.

3. Click on "Data," then "Mac & PC" in the formats panel.

4. Drag the desired data files to the Content Area.

5. Insert a blank recordable CD (for test purposes, try this on a CD-RW first).

6. Click the red Record button

7. Click the "Basic" tab, then choose your desired settings.

7. Click the "Advanced" tab, then in "Write Mode" choose "TAO" for Audio & "Write Session" for Data.

8. Now click the blue Record button.

I don't know why Roxio skips the "Write Mode" steps in their instructions. Probably a proofreading error nobody noticed because nobody tested the current instructions! Sorry, I haven't tried making a disc image from the CD yet.

Thanks for the help. I did twice a rw-dvd the way you described it, but the result is still a data dvd only, no music. I start to believe that it is not possible at all. And for my game to work, I do need an image file that includes everything. Do you have other suggestions that could help?

André

Edited by AndreasvanHaren