• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

10 Most Annoying Programs On The Internet

gi7omy

Windows Updates can be - and are - turned OFF. I pay attention to when updates come out, and load them at MY convenience.

However, Java is required by a number of sites, and updates "as needed" - which is to say, it times out many, many times before it gets it's oversized bulk down the 56k line.

I will be meeting either Norton 2007 or Norton 2008 shortly, and don't look forward to it, but 2005 expired prior to the WinXP crashing out, and needs to be replaced as part of the reinstall. (I have ashampoo AV and FW on the Win2000 ... actually, on the Win2000 I prefer AV and FW that work on Win2000, rather than only on WinXP.)

Lynn

The writer of the article seems to be unaware that one can easily disable most, if not all the features he complains about: automatic update can be (is on my system) turned off for Adobe reader, Java, quicktime, real player, NAV 2008, and of course Windows XP. Real's message centre can similarly be easily turned off. I have no problems with any of those, they are completely docile.

Can't comment on Yahoo toolbar, I've never used it (nor Google toolbar). I do find it irritating that so many software packages include one or the other. Always take care to uncheck the box during install.

The only one I agree with fully is the bundling of 'extras' on new PCs. Dell adds quite a few.

Update -

The "Norton" box in the task bar the reviewer is so upset about can be clicked on and turned back into a small circle in the tray. Norton can also be strong-armed into not doing auto-update. Norton 2007 is just as much a self-willed, resource-hogging PITA as reviewers have said, tho - however, the WinXP is NOT the main computer. I've downloaded 15MB of update (this is dialup, after all), and 35MB to go.

As to Real - it changed my setting from "Never dial a connection" to "Always dial a connection". I reset it to Never, and unstalled Real. I do have RealPlayer G2 on the Win2000 - downloaded it from their legacy products area, and it behaves itself.

Lynn

Archived