Trouble With "write Session"

Zews

Question

A few weeks ago I had burned a CD with data, as a "Write Session" CD, because I knew I would want to add more data later on.

Yesterday I tried to add data. I placed the CD in question in my drive, and opened Toast. On the Menu bar, I went to Recorder/ Disc Info...

I read: Session 1 TAO Size 0 1.6 MB, and under it an icon and Track1 0 1.6 MB

Below that I read "Session 2 (open) followed by a number, followed by "open"

I closed the info panel.

I then added the data I wanted to burn into Toast, and burned the CD. When I mounted the CD, the name had changed, to the name of the folder in which my added data were. And I could no longer see, and/or access my old data. They seemed to have disappeared.

So I accessed Disc Info... again. This time it read:

Session 1 TAO 0 1.6 MB

Track 1 0 1.6 MB

ISO Hebrew Fonts

ISRC: 000000000000

Session 2 TAO 12233 904 KB

Track 2 12233 904 KB

ISO

Session 3 (open) a number open.

So it would seem, that the original data are still on the disc. But I can't read them.

I consulted the manual. If I understood the manual correctly, I can only write a session CD for Mac computers only. So I tried to add some additional data to the disk, and marked that data as "Mac Only". I burned the CD, and now I could not see the original data, nor the last added data. The disc still has the same name and data, as when I tried to add data in the second session.

At Disc Info... I now read:

Medium

Medium Type: CD-R

Space Available: 649.3 MB

Space Used: 40 MB

Content

Title: Hebrew Fonts

Content Type: Data

File System: ISO

Tracks: 3

Sessions: 3

Details

Session 1 TAO 0 1.6 MB

Track 1 0 1.6 MB

ISO Hebrew Fonts

Session 2 TAO 12233 904 KB

Track 2 12233 904 KB

ISO

Session 3 TAO 19585 1.8 MB

Track 3 19585 1.8 MB

Session 4 (open) 22742 open.

Can anyone please explain what I did wrong, and how I should proceed in the future to properly burn a session disc, so I can access my original data.

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure what happened. There are reported instances where burning multi-session CD-Rs with different Macs or different OS versions can make earlier sessions unreadable. That doesn't seem to be what's happened here.

I suggest testing with another disc. Be sure to click New Disc and give each session a distinctive name before adding content to the Data window.

I'm also not aware of any restriction to burning multisession discs in Mac & PC format. In fact, burning in the ISO 9660 format is another way to do multi-session CDs.

Lastly I'll suggest an alternative to burning multi-session CDs. Get a USB flash drive or use the flash card reader you're using for your digital camera memory card to copy data in increments to those media. When they get full enough for copying to a CD, burn a single-session CD-R.

I just tried to burn a 4th session (with a different name). It won't mount. Only the second session mounts. Supposedly, every session mounts separately on the desktop.

Since I no longer trust this software, and I do not want to keep waisting disks, I burned two sessions on a CD-RW. The first session is was fine. After writing the second session, Disc Info reports two sessions. But only the first one is accessible. The second one is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't mount.

This is contrary to what happened with my first disk, where only the second session is now visible, and mounts, after writing four sessions.

Writing data to a flash drive is not an acceptable solution. That is what I got Toast for! Besides, I would then need to get multiple flash drives, because the data I wrote to the CD in question is data of a particular kind, I do not want other non related data on the same disk.

I just tried to burn a 4th session (with a different name). It won't mount. Only the second session mounts. Supposedly, every session mounts separately on the desktop.

Since I no longer trust this software, and I do not want to keep waisting disks, I burned two sessions on a CD-RW. The first session is was fine. After writing the second session, Disc Info reports two sessions. But only the first one is accessible. The second one is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't mount.

This is contrary to what happened with my first disk, where only the second session is now visible, and mounts, after writing four sessions.

Writing data to a flash drive is not an acceptable solution. That is what I got Toast for! Besides, I would then need to get multiple flash drives, because the data I wrote to the CD in question is data of a particular kind, I do not want other non related data on the same disk.

Sorry Toast isn't working as it should. I don't recall anyone else reporting this difficulty in the forums. It should be working and I don't have any contrary precedent to work from in advising you.

I do suggest giving the ISO 9660 format a try because it burns sessions as appending to the first session and you only see one icon. This is from Toast Help:

"ISO 9660 is a standard for cross-platform use on Macintosh, Windows, Unix, Linux, or DOS operating systems. ISO 9660 also supports appendable sessions, where all sessions appear as a single disc, in contrast to the Mac Only multi-session, where each session appears as a separate icon. However, ISO 9660 does not support custom features of the Mac file system, such as long file names and view or icon options, so it is not the best choice if you intend to access this disc only on a Macintosh computer."

If that interests you be sure to read "Making an ISO 9660 Disc" in Toast Help.

Archived