Creating A Dvd

Samc

Question

I recently purchased EMC10 and am trying to use it. I need to admit, I am loss.

What I am trying to do is to create a DVD disc that can be used on a DVD player.

Let me explain what I have and what I did. I have 20 directories that have ".jpg" files in each one. I used Create Slide Show on each directory to create a ".dmss" file. So now I have 20 ".dmss" files. (.dmss" files are produced when you create a Slide Show)

I would like to put them on a DVD so that they can be viewed. I tried using MYDVD and these are some of the problems I am running into:

I used "Add New Movie" and added the ".dmss" file. It allowed me to enter the first 4 and then it went into a Sub Menu environment. I continued adding all ".dmss" files creating additional Submenus. When I put the DVD in the player, It showed the 1ST 4 ".dmss" and would not go any further.

Can I have ALL of the ".dmss" files on the same level of menu. (no sub menus). If so please explain in detail how I do that. My purpose in doing this is so that I can go to any menu and view the slide show starting at that point.

Another question: How do you turn off sound for any Slideshow?

I appreciate your help.

Thank You,

Sam

10 answers to this question

ggrussell: Thank you for that explanation.

In doing this project I have one more problem. How do you get rid of that Default Menu sound? I don't my dad to have to it a "speaker mute" button. I do have this question posted under another thread but have not received any replies.

Thanks,

Sam

The menu sound question was answered yesterday in post #4 in your other thread

What I am trying to do is to create a DVD disc that can be used on a DVD player.

Let me explain what I have and what I did. I have 20 directories that have ".jpg" files in each one. I used Create Slide Show on each directory to create a ".dmss" file. So now I have 20 ".dmss" files. (.dmss" files are produced when you create a Slide Show)

I would like to put them on a DVD so that they can be viewed. I tried using MYDVD and these are some of the problems I am running into:

I used "Add New Movie" and added the ".dmss" file. It allowed me to enter the first 4 and then it went into a Sub Menu environment. I continued adding all ".dmss" files creating additional Submenus. When I put the DVD in the player, It showed the 1ST 4 ".dmss" and would not go any further.

Can I have ALL of the ".dmss" files on the same level of menu. (no sub menus). If so please explain in detail how I do that. My purpose in doing this is so that I can go to any menu and view the slide show starting at that point.

I appreciate your help.

Thank You,

Sam

Since you have chosen a menu style that can have 4 menu items on each menu page, you should have created 5 menu pages with 4 menu items (slideshows) on each menu page and the menu page 6 should have 2 items . The menu pages 2 to 5 should also have some icon to go to the <next> or <previous> page. The 1st page should have a <next> icon and the last page a <previous> icon. Each of the menu page are actually at the same (or main) menu level. To reach a sub-menu level you would have to have created chapters for a slideshow. Since you did not, there are no sub-menus in your project. If you do not have this structure then please go into more detail on how you setup your slideshow.

As is suggested in another post, using Videowave is a much better way to create slideshows, it offers much more flexibility.

Are you referring to the sound of the menu? Just select mute from the volume icon or use the mute button on your remote.

As I indicated, I am learning this product.

I did use Videowave and created the ".dmsm" files. AFter burning them to a DVD and putting the DVD into the player, I got that annoying default music that sounds to be as if you are going into a battle. How can I get rid of any and all sound?

Thank you,

Sam

As I indicated, I am learning this product.

I did use Videowave and created the ".dmsm" files. AFter burning them to a DVD and putting the DVD into the player, I got that annoying default music that sounds to be as if you are going into a battle. How can I get rid of any and all sound?

Thank you,

Sam

I'm sure that this post will help you to either mute the audio or create a new custom menu.

The menu sound question was answered yesterday in post #4 in your other thread

You have to be using MyDVD.

If you're using MyDVD Express, click on the icon on the left that says 'Edit in MyDVD' to remove the menu audio.

Why not use VideoWave, the program of choice, in the suite? How many files are in each of those directories? Is there any reason why you don't combine them all into one production?

To do that, open VideoWave, click on Add Photo/Video, then go to each of those directories, and add all of the .jpegs.

GrandPaBruce: To answer your question - why I do not combine them into one production, I'll try to explain in detail.

I am doing a project for my 91 year old dad who during his life took many 35mm slides of different events. I am using my scanner to convert the slides to ".jpg's" and then putting them on a DVD using your suggestion VideoWave. One event might be labeled "Trip to Italy", another event "Sam's Wedding", another "Sarah's 1st Birthday", etc.

My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, by having multiple productions, I can go to any event(production) and see only the pictures associated with that event. If everything was in one production, I would need to view ALL the pictures in sequential order. I want the capability to look at particular events.

I don't know anything about this but I keep hearing the word "Chapters" . I am presuming by having multiple events(productions) on one DVD, that's what I am doing--creating Chapters.

Thanks,

Sam

I am presuming by having multiple events(productions) on one DVD, that's what I am doing--creating Chapters.
No, you are just creating individual 'titles' which is fine and just anohter way of achieving what you want.

'Chapters' is when you mark scenes within a single video or 'title'. For example, most commercial DVDs you purchase will have a Main Menu with a button to Play Movie, Select Scenes, Outakes or Director's Comments, etc. Each one of these would be considered an individual 'video or movie' on the disc. When you choose 'Select Scenes', it usually takes you to a sub-menu where you can choose a particular scene to watch. This would be the same thing as 'Chapters' in MyDVD.

In your project, you could combine all the slideshows into one long video. Then place two buttons on the main menu: Play ALL and then a Select Individual Slideshow. The 'Play All' would play the entire video from beginning to end. The second button woud take the viewer to a sub-menu where they could choose an individual slideshow like "Sam's Wedding".

Just another way to do it with slightly different navigation for the viewer.

I appreciate your help.

Thank You,

Sam

Why not use VideoWave, the program of choice, in the suite? How many files are in each of those directories? Is there any reason why you don't combine them all into one production?

To do that, open VideoWave, click on Add Photo/Video, then go to each of those directories, and add all of the .jpegs.

No, you are just creating individual 'titles' which is fine and just anohter way of achieving what you want.

'Chapters' is when you mark scenes within a single video or 'title'. For example, most commercial DVDs you purchase will have a Main Menu with a button to Play Movie, Select Scenes, Outakes or Director's Comments, etc. Each one of these would be considered an individual 'video or movie' on the disc. When you choose 'Select Scenes', it usually takes you to a sub-menu where you can choose a particular scene to watch. This would be the same thing as 'Chapters' in MyDVD.

In your project, you could combine all the slideshows into one long video. Then place two buttons on the main menu: Play ALL and then a Select Individual Slideshow. The 'Play All' would play the entire video from beginning to end. The second button woud take the viewer to a sub-menu where they could choose an individual slideshow like "Sam's Wedding".

Just another way to do it with slightly different navigation for the viewer.

ggrussell: Thank you for that explanation.

In doing this project I have one more problem. How do you get rid of that Default Menu sound? I don't my dad to have to it a "speaker mute" button. I do have this question posted under another thread but have not received any replies.

Thanks,

Sam

Archived