Converting My Vinyl To Mp3

vid2man97

Question

Sorry I'm lame somtimes when it comes to searching for stuff. This has probably been discussed already but here goes.

I recently put in emc10 suite and am mostly concerned with video and slideshows. I thought though, that I'd give a shot at converting my lps to a 'modern' format. I've got everything I need but have a question. I notice in the tips online from Roxio that there is an amp between the player and the computer. Is this needed or is the signal strength from the lp alone strong enough. I doubt it or they wouldn't show it but I thought I'd ask in case anyone out there tried it. Yes, I could just try it myself but I like to get opinions.

By the way, my amp uses bare wire connectors to the speakers, not rca type. So...I'll have to use an adapter to put the sound into the tower from the headphone jack.

thanks

6 answers to this question

Ahhh but there's the beauty of it all. I have an 'old fashioned' stereo amp/tuner that takes input from tape and lp.

But regardless, I take it that what you're telling me that I need to use this amp and not simply plug in directly from the turntable.

thanks cd, you seem to know pretty much everything...

Now you've gone and done it! We'll have to have a bigger hat made just to fit his head. :P

I sometimes use a AM/FM/Cassette/Stereo as a pass thru and it works just fine as an amp. On my old turntable, if I connect it direct, I can't hear anything. On a friends turntable, I can hear slightly. You'll likely need something like what cd suggested to get you where you need to be.

Ahhh but there's the beauty of it all. I have an 'old fashioned' stereo amp/tuner that takes input from tape and lp.

But regardless, I take it that what you're telling me that I need to use this amp and not simply plug in directly from the turntable.

Does that amplifier have output jacks for recording from the turntable to a tape deck? I have my turntable, plugged into the back of my really old amplifier, and I have a set of RCA cords going from the Tape A Record, L&R channel jacks, to the inputs on my sound card. The sound card takes the place of a tape deck.

Have a look at this http://www.the-predator.com/dell/sec7-9.html

Thanks all.

GrandpaBruce is right that the back of this old tuner/amp has external tape player in and out rca jacks and that's what I'll be using. Hopefully I'll get a chance today to connect it up and capture some music from some not-so-compact discs.

Archived