• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 9 Hangs At 1% Encoding After Updating To 10.5.3

drkmstr

Question

Anyone else experiencing problems after updating to 10.5.3??

I am trying to make a DVD from Eyetv. Previous to 10.5.3 I had no issues. Now Toast freezes/hangs at 1% encoding. I have to force quit.

Curious if anyone is experiencing problems. I am on the latest (most current) edition of Toast and Eyetv software. Running Leopard 10.5.3 on a intel mac mini

13 answers to this question

I can't get the eyetv to burn on DVD either . It hangs up at about 13-15% of encoding. Also running Leopard 10.5.3 on a mac pro.

What are the specs for the EyeTV recording? I just checked with an EyeTV recording from a standard definition digital channel and Toast went straight to multiplexing as it should and there was no problem. You say that Toast is encoding which suggests to me that the source is an HD program. Let me know its specs so I can test with a similar video source.

Thanks for the help. I used the never re-encode choice in Toast 9 and was able to burn the standard dvd and high def- blue ray format on std dvd. I haven't tried the blue ray format yet but it didn't crash at encoding.

I am trying to make a DVD from Eyetv. Previous to 10.5.3 I had no issues. Now Toast freezes/hangs at 1% encoding. I have to force quit.

Curious if anyone is experiencing problems. I am on the latest (most current) edition of Toast and Eyetv software. Running Leopard 10.5.3 on a intel mac mini

I just set up my new iMAC using Toast 9 to download from Series 3 TiVo and burn DVD's. I succeeded downloading both SD and HD shows. I could burn a DVD of the SD however Toast hangs at 16% while making a DVD of the HD show. Also, when I try to play the HD show using Toast player, all motion scenes are so pixeled I cannot watch them. I know this is not Eyetv, but the same problem seems to be occuring for TiVo content.

What are the specs for the EyeTV recording? I just checked with an EyeTV recording from a standard definition digital channel and Toast went straight to multiplexing as it should and there was no problem. You say that Toast is encoding which suggests to me that the source is an HD program. Let me know its specs so I can test with a similar video source.

It is HD content from an eyetv 250 plus recorded from OTA. The default settings (in toast) is for two pass encoding. The first pass goes through, I am hanging/freezing at 1% on the second pass. I have to force quit to get out of toast. I have also tried the setting of "never" for "reencoding" and I hang at 0%.

Currently I am trying "save as disc image" to see if I finish encoding.

I am only having this problem from eyetv. I am able to encode other files like m4v and burn to disc with no issue.

Fell spec:

Video: MPEG-2, 1280 x 720, 59.94 fps

Audio: DD 5.1, 48000 hz

It is HD content from an eyetv 250 plus recorded from OTA. The default settings (in toast) is for two pass encoding. The first pass goes through, I am hanging/freezing at 1% on the second pass. I have to force quit to get out of toast. I have also tried the setting of "never" for "reencoding" and I hang at 0%.

Currently I am trying "save as disc image" to see if I finish encoding.

I am only having this problem from eyetv. I am able to encode other files like m4v and burn to disc with no issue.

Fell spec:

Video: MPEG-2, 1280 x 720, 59.94 fps

Audio: DD 5.1, 48000 hz

The only way I can burn an eyetv recording (in HD) through toast is to export a file in eyetv using the "for toast" setting. This creates an mpg file. toast will then encode and burn that file to disc.

The only way I can burn an eyetv recording (in HD) through toast is to export a file in eyetv using the "for toast" setting. This creates an mpg file. toast will then encode and burn that file to disc.

drkmstr, just checking but are you trying to create a standard video DVD with Toast or a Blu-Ray HD disc?

Found a setting sequence that works from eyetv...

Choose automatic "best" video setting

Then I clicked on manual and turned off reencode

Settings are 4 for constant bit rate, max 8

If I chose the highest video settings for auto or manual the eyetv recordings will not encode...

I've just tested with some 1280x720 59.94 fps and 1920x1080 29.97 fps EyeTV captured videos which I had Toast author as a Blu-Ray disc image and encode as a DVD-video disc image. In all cases the process worked as it was supposed to on both my G5 iMac running 10.4.11 and my Intel MacBook Pro running 10.5.3. I selected the videos in EyeTV 3.0.2 and clicked the Toast icon to send them to Toast. I also can choose EyeTV with the Toast media browser to add the videos to the Toast window. Either way works.

In my first tests I chose Automatic as the encoding setting. The Blu-Ray disc image was created after multiplexing the video while the DVD video of course had to be re-encoded to standard definition. I did another test in which I chose MPEG-4/AVC as the format for the Blu-Ray disc and chose Always re-encode. In this case the encoded stalled at 1%. So I went back to EyeTV and exported one of the videos as an MPEG elementary stream. I dragged the resulting .m2v file to Toast and the re-encoding proceeded all the way to the end.

standard video dvd

Further update. The above setting will make the standard DVD, but Toast is not creating 5.1 audio on the disc. I am rather disappointed. I guess I need to go the long way for now and create my own files and then burn...

Further update. The above setting will make the standard DVD, but Toast is not creating 5.1 audio on the disc. I am rather disappointed. I guess I need to go the long way for now and create my own files and then burn...

Toast doesn't change the audio at all from an EyeTV source. If it is 5.1 AC3 going in it is the same after Toast multiplexes or re-encodes the video. I'm unclear what steps you are following. My steps for making a standard definition video DVD in Toast from an EyeTV video (whether standard definition or high definition) is to select the title(s) in EyeTV and click the Toast button or choose EyeTV with the top button of the Toast Media Browser and drag the title from the browser window to the Toast Video window. Choose Automatic or choose Never Re-encode in the Custom Encoder window. Toast should just multiplex your video – no re-encoding is done – and burn your video DVD (or create your disc image).

I can't get the eyetv to burn on DVD either . It hangs up at about 13-15% of encoding. Also running Leopard 10.5.3 on a mac pro.

Archived