• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Import

amyshat

Question

I have two Sony video cameras. One uses an IEEE cable to connect to my computer and the other uses a 5-pin Mini B USB cable. Why is it that I can use the Capture Video module of Easy Media Creator 10 with the IEEE cable camera just fine, but when I try to capture video with the USB cable camera, it says "There are no devices available for this media type"? By the way, this is also true when I use Windows Movie Maker.

Thank you,

Amy

8 answers to this question

Amy: A DV Tape is 1 hour long… If you are putting 2 hours on them you are degrading quality to do so… Same would apply to your HD recording.

This is considered poor practice in video work as your final output will never be better than the source. Since you are starting with a less than ideal source, it will all be going downhill from there.

Might as well point out that 4.7Gb DVD's only hold 1 hour of DVD Movie at Best Quality. Anything longer is done by degrading video quality…

Roxio does not capture DV via USB. Can't say for WMM as that is a MicroSoft product.

IF it is possible to get a decent video capture via USB then I think Roxio should offer that.

For the interim, if your camera can transfer over USB, then it also will come with software that will enable you to use that.

optional:

If the IEEE camcorder camera has a pass through feature, you can try connecting the USB camcorder to the IEEE camcorder and capture that way.

There are also several A/D converters that will take the USB from the camcorder to your computer. EMC 10 Deluxe came with the Dazzle 100; EMC 9 Deluxe came with the DVC 90.

the other uses a 5-pin Mini B USB cable.
You didn't mention what brand or type of camcorder that uses the USB. Newer hard drive and miniDVD camcorders that use USB show up differently in Windows. Technically, they are not 'camcorders' in Windows , but rather external devices. For example a JVC hard drive model will show up in Windows Explorer as an external hard drive (not a camcorder). You wouldn't need Media Import to transfer the files. Just use Windows Explorer!

Similar for miniDVD models. They should show up as a external DVD player or burner.

I agree that you can only get 1 hour of Best quality on a DV tape and the same amount onto a 4.7 GB DVD.

I've been looking at the information on some of these Hard disk camcorders because a friend bought one and I'm amazed.

Sony has a 60 GB HiDef HDD that will record over 7 HOURS of Hi Def video and 14 hours of High Quality video, SP 17 hours, and LP 22 hours.

On an 8 GB Memory stick, you can record up to 55 minutes of Hi Def, and 115 minutes of HQ.

So even if Amy has an new camcorder with less GB, she can probably get 7 hours of HQ video onto that hard disk.

I find her comment that editing 7 hours of video is more tedious than importing scenes from the DV tape. That's something I hadn't thought of.

Amy, if you'd share your experiences in working with the video from that camcorder, it might help other people who are working with that type of video. I don't think any of the gurus have a hard disk camcorder and it's going to be some time til I'm ready to purchase one of them.

Thanks in advance.

Sony has a 60 GB HiDef HDD that will record over 7 HOURS of Hi Def video and 14 hours of High Quality video, SP 17 hours, and LP 22 hours.
Sounds like a AVCHD camcorder which uses MPEG 4 which uses higher compression techniques than MPEG 2. I shutter to think what they consider 'high quality'. LOL

I've used files from JVC (MPEG 2) HDD models and those are fairly easy to edit in Videowave. I don't know anyone with a AVCHD camcorder.

Jim, I went back to the camcorder box to look for a software DVD again and found it this time. That worked fine. Thanks!

Gary, I hooked up the camera to my computer, hit F5 in Windows Explorer, and holy cow! An E:\ drive called "Removal Disk" appeared. So, yes, I can just drag the files to my harddrive. Cool. The only annoyance now is having to use VideoWave to cut away the parts I don't want. It was much easier to use the camera that records on DVC tape and only download the parts of the tape I DO want. But a tape is only 2 hours and I wanted to record for 6 hours so I got the HDD camera. Oh well - that's life.

Thanks everyone,

Amy

Archived