Frame Rate Bug In Toast 9.0.2?

Jeffms

Question

I have an HDV movie (1440 x 1080) recorded at 25 fps (PAL standard). When I import it into Toast for a 'Blu-Ray' project (actually I am using a DVD-DL) it comes up in the main window as Video: Text, 1440 x 1080, 30 fps. I hadn't spotted that the first time and wondered why, just before it started encoding, it warned me that I was trying to put NTSC content into a PAL project (Toast preferences are correctly set to PAL as default). It offered to 'reencode' it as PAL. The first time I let it do what it appeared to want, and create an NTSC disc - result: jittery video. The second time I used the 'reencode to PAL' option and it has come out just fine. So why is the video's correct frame rate (as for example reported in QuickTime movie inspector) not actually recognised by Toast?

1 answer to this question

The misreported frame rate may be a Toast bug. What confuses me is why Toast would present anything about PAL or NTSC when using the Blu-Ray video setting. PAL and NTSC are standard-definition only. I haven't done any experimenting with Toast 9's HD features because I don't have either a Blu-Ray player or burner. But I'll do some checking into this to see if I can get a PAL or NTSC message.

By the way, I checked some Blu-Ray specs and the 1440x1080 resolution requires use of an AVC or VC1 codec. So make sure you've chosen the MPEG4/AVC codec in Toast's Custom encoder window.

Archived