• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Crap Disks = Memorex

Sol Rosenberg

Question

Hey,

I've made many DVD's with videowave and mydvd over the last few years. This year I was using EMC 10 for the first time - worked better in the videowave than previous versions for me - however, when it came to rendering I had a couple problems I asked about in other posts, now resolved.

One thing that wasted a lot of my time was burning to Memorex dvd's. After I thought I had finally fixed my rendering problems, I burned my first 47 minute movie to ISO then to disk. Pixelation, skipping, hanging, on two set tops a desktop and a laptop. What the %^&*? Tried it on several more memorex disks from two different bundles I have.

Saw a post on here about memorex disks by accident, bought some fujifilm disks, burned the same ISO to disk - beautiful picture, no skipping, no hanging.

Don't waste your time with Memorex disks- they work for short term data storage. That's it.

12 answers to this question

Guest RCD74

I prefer Taiyo Yudens - Never a bad burn and NEVER had any skipping or pixelation. In addition, I have burned tons of dvds for other people with various dvd players and they have NEVER complained with TY's! Verbatims are great too!! I can't say the same for the TDK's I have.

Rachel

A saintly person once sent me some TYs [TYG02 and YUDEN000]from 8,000 miles away so I could try them. They were superb, and produced some of the best burns I've ever done.

I was also very impressed by some Mitsubishi Kagaku 8x +R discs [MCC003] I managed to get one time, but like TYs they're very expensive. Verbatim are a very good, affordable disc usually despite being from various manufacturers [CMC MAG E01, MCC003, MCC004, MKM 01RW, and MKMA02 that I've seen]

Regards,

Brendon

edited to add MIDs before Dad slaps my ear :)

I prefer Taiyo Yudens - Never a bad burn and NEVER had any skipping or pixelation. In addition, I have burned tons of dvds for other people with various dvd players and they have NEVER complained with TY's! Verbatims are great too!! I can't say the same for the TDK's I have.

Rachel

Rachel, would you post the manufacturer and media ID (MID), from your TDK DVD branded media?

cd

I'm getting the TY locally (and they will export them) at 16 sterling for a 100 spindle. Export price will be less as we have to pay 17.5% sales tax but the postage could work out the same

http://www.mplex.com/shop/index.php?app=cc...ow&ref=1175

Price conversion is abt $US31 or $NZ40 (just for you Brendon :lol: )

Guest RCD74
Rachel, would you post the manufacturer and media ID (MID), from your TDK DVD branded media?

cd

Sure - Once my 2 year old takes a nap!! :rolleyes:

Rachel

I was just curiously reading this thread and just couldn't resist adding my two cents...

Depending on how valuable my data is...TY is best, Verbatims (cheaper) rock and I even use TDK without incident.

I used Ridata/Riteks in the past and wouldn't put one in my burner if they were free and the price of Verbatims trebled. I don't know how many I've burned and then, months later put into a player only to find the dang thing degraded to the point it won't play, just from sitting on a shelf! I've had RW media (Verbatims) perform better than this and we know how much some people here like the letters RW. It makes a difference though when you add the Verbatim name to it.

Guest RCD74

Just to add, I will use my TDK to store data and have NEVER had a problem when retrieving my files (not yet at least). I HAVE had some compatibility issues with the TDK when I have burned homemade movies and played them on set top players.

Rachel

Hey,

I've made many DVD's with videowave and mydvd over the last few years. This year I was using EMC 10 for the first time - worked better in the videowave than previous versions for me - however, when it came to rendering I had a couple problems I asked about in other posts, now resolved.

One thing that wasted a lot of my time was burning to Memorex dvd's. After I thought I had finally fixed my rendering problems, I burned my first 47 minute movie to ISO then to disk. Pixelation, skipping, hanging, on two set tops a desktop and a laptop. What the %^&*? Tried it on several more memorex disks from two different bundles I have.

Saw a post on here about memorex disks by accident, bought some fujifilm disks, burned the same ISO to disk - beautiful picture, no skipping, no hanging.

Don't waste your time with Memorex disks- they work for short term data storage. That's it.

Verbatim are even better, IMHO :rolleyes:

Don't waste your time with Memorex disks-

bought some fujifilm disks

Sol Rosenberg,

Memorex and FujiFilm don't make DVD media! They job it out and put there label/name on it. The Memorex I have seen, in a disc identifier tool are Ritek. FujiFilm about four years back at my local Best Buy were Taiyo Yuden, one will never no untill you look at the media ID (MID).

Three DVD Identifiers I use are DVDInfo Pro, DVD Identifier, and CDDVDSpeed renamed Disc Speed.

cd

Sol Rosenberg,

Memorex and FujiFilm don't make DVD media! They job it out and put there label/name on it. The Memorex I have seen, in a disc identifier tool are Ritek. FujiFilm about four years back at my local Best Buy were Taiyo Yuden, one will never no untill you look at the media ID (MID).

Three DVD Identifiers I use are DVDInfo Pro, DVD Identifier, and CDDVDSpeed renamed Disc Speed.

cd

For what its worth, I've had good luck w/ Sony DVD-R, made by Ritek, which I found out w/ CD's help....

Hey,

FYI

Dvd brands: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Guest RCD74

Here is the information cd wanted in regards to the TDKs I was using.

TDK Branded Media in DVDInfo Pro

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO

Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG M01

Media Product Revision Number 00h

Format Capacity Blank Disc

Free Blocks 405405696

Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)

Book Type DVD+R

Media Type DVD+R

Manufacturer Rated Speed 16.0x 22160KBp

Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 22160KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 16620KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Data area starting sector 30000h

Linear Density 0.267um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F .............&.?

00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 4D .......CMC MAG.M

00000020 30 31 00 38 23 54 37 18 00 3E 6E 00 70 62 15 15 01.8#T7..>n.pb..

00000030 0B 0B 08 08 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 ................

Rachel

Archived