Cannot Import Copied Video Into Videowave

seryat

Question

I'm having a problem using video made on a DVD camcorder. I tried putting the original DVD-R made with the camera (after finalizing) into my DVD drive and accessing the DVD-R directly from Roxio, but some files are not accessable.

Since some of the files on this original DVD-R made with the camera are corrupted, I've had to use IsoBuster to copy all the files off the original DVD-R in order to be able to use as much video as possible from those corrupted files. Since I'm still using the free version of IsoBuster, the files are extracted from the ISO file system it found on the DVD.

When I play all the extracted DVD-R files by selecting both the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.VOB in Media Player Classic, the video plays - in the correct aspect ratio, without pausing between scenes, etc.).

I try to add (Add Photo/Video) all the extracted files in VideoWave; I select the files in the directory, then Open. The 'Import Movies from VOB' window is displayed, and I check the movies listed to import. When I click OK, a message pops up that reads "One or more of the files you are trying to add cannot be edited, and have not been added." Nothing is done.

What can I do to import these files? Thanks.

5 answers to this question

I've tried using Video capture to import clips from a good DVD-R, and Roxio recognizes the disk as in 16:9, but still previews and imports the clip in 4:3. The resulting file (MPG) produced also plays in 4:3, no matter what program is used to view it.

I've come to the conclusion, after installing the software twice, and still receiving error messages from modules like CinePlayer, etc., after installing on a new computer and having the computer mysteriously lock up (with the only other software being Norton 360), after not being able to import clips that are 16:9 in the correct aspect ratio (instead of tall and squished), etc., etc. ,etc., that it's time to move on.

I wish I had the time to work out the problems, but I just wanted to edit the movie a little.

Thanks for your help.

It looks to me as if Roxio doesn't (or can't) import the information in the .IFO files, only the data in the .VOB files. I may be wrong but it looks as though .IFO files contain information that indicates the aspect ratio. Renaming the .VOB files to .MPG may get the data in Roxio for editing, but Roxio then doesn't recognize the correct aspect ratio.

Am I wrong about this?

Sorry we haven't helped, but I don't think we know the answer to your problem.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer or the DVD camcorder to see if they have any suggestions? Perhaps they have a solution to the corrupted files problem.

I understand. I appreciate your reply, as this seems like a great place.

As much as I like Roxio for its features and easy to use interface, I've had to download a trial of Nero 8 and it has done everything I need, without requiring reinstalling a second time or asking for help w/error messages, etc. It doesn't have all the features I would like, but it works without any problems. I haven't had to ask for any help at all.

I'm keeping my copy of Roxio, not because I can't return it, but because I hope they'll work out some of the problems, so I can use it.

I tried moving all the VOB files to another folder and renaming these to MPG files. I can now import them into VideoWave as MPGs. However, I saw this message" "One or more of the files you are trying to add is unseekable, and have not been added."

I can edit all the files selected (so far). but the aspect ratio is now 4:3, even though I set it to 16:9 in the production settings. The MPG files also display in 4:3 when played in Media Player Classic, instead of 16:9. When played with all the .ifo, .bup. and .vob files in the folder, the aspect ratio is 16:9 in Media Player Classic.

Is there a way to edit (and save) the video in VideoWave in the aspect ratio it was recorded in (16:9)?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Archived