• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Idvd Versus Toast

palenjo

Question

Hi!

This question might have been answered a long time ago, somewhere. I'm burning iMovie HD 6-files (originally super 8-movies) to dvd, and would like to know if there is a difference in image quality on burned dvd:s between iDVD and Toast8. I have compared on my tv but cannot see any important difference, but I know that many others have much sharper eyes than me for such purposes. It's important to know for me, since iDVD lets you design the chapter menus and actually create a button with the text "1969" visible, something which Toast doesn't allow.

Palenjo

1 answer to this question

As long as you keep your iDVD-authored DVD to less than 1-1/2 hours in total length you probably won't see much if any picture quality difference in using Toast to encode and author the DVD. iDVD uses more of a disc's space for the menus and uncompressed audio which means that the video needs greater compression to fit the disc. This greater compression (by means of a lower bit rate) begins at about one hour.

I recommend keeping your iDVD discs at no more than about 1-1/2 hours of video even though iDVD will allow up to 2 hours on a single-layer disc.

Archived