• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can I Capture Hd And Burn It On A Dvd?

Blackbeagle

Question

OK....2nd question here. This may seem dumb but I'll ask anyways.

I have a Canon HV10 HD camcorder. Let's say I record 5 minutes of HD footage. Would I be able to use Roxio 10 and put that HD footage on a regular DVD and then play it on my Toshiba HD A3 HD DVD player? Would it come out in HD or would I have to burn it with a HD-DVD recorder?

I thought that the difference between a HD-DVD disc and a standard DVD disc is storage capacity. Therefore, if I only capture 5-15 minutes of HD footage, I should be able to burn it on a regular DVD and play it on my HD DVD player.

Am I mistaken in thinking that this could happen?

Thx again.

3 answers to this question

I have a Canon HV10 HD camcorder. Let's say I record 5 minutes of HD footage. Would I be able to use Roxio 10 and put that HD footage on a regular DVD and then play it on my Toshiba HD A3 HD DVD player? Would it come out in HD or would I have to burn it with a HD-DVD recorder?

I thought that the difference between a HD-DVD disc and a standard DVD disc is storage capacity. Therefore, if I only capture 5-15 minutes of HD footage, I should be able to burn it on a regular DVD and play it on my HD DVD player.

Thx again.

Sorry, the formats are totally different. There are a few packages like Sonic's DVDit Pro HD that will burn the BlueRay format to a standard DVD and those can ONLY be played on a BlueRay player. I don't know of ANY Software that supports HD DVD.

EMC 10 does support the HV10 (HDV recording). You should be able to capture using firewire and then burn the video as standard definition on a regular DVD.

Just FYI, the biggest difference between standard definition and HiDef DVDs is the codec used. Regular DVDs use MPEG 2 and hidef uses MPEG 4. I'm not sure how different the menuing system is , but I know that Blueray also supports interactive menus using JAVA, too. Unfortunately, Toshiba lost the format war and sold off the HD DVD technology to a Chinese company. I haven't read anything about the format lately.

Thx again.

I know this answer will probably be unpopular here, but our Macintosh software, Toast 9, can do that. However it's a slightly non-standard disc and some players may have a problem with it. Toast isn't a full media suite like EMC is, so the changes needed to get Toast to do this were not as many as would be needed in EMC. As for whether or not a future version of EMC can do this, I cant comment on future releases. If I had to give an educated guess, I would say yes, but I honestly don't know one way or the other.

Archived