Basic Cd Reject Question

I have a Gateway Computer. CD-ROM: 16X/10X/40X ReWriteable CDRW. XP Home 1.0 Version 2002 Service Pack II came with my computer. Roxio CD Copier Version 5.1. 4 year old 700MB CD-R never used. I added 4 image folders to this. This was a multi-session project, the session was closed, but not the CD. All 4 folders totaled up to 193.75 MB. Two days ago I added 4 more image folders to this CD, somewhere around 304MB total size. The project size then totaled 489.7MB. Estimated free space. 151.6 MB on a 74 min CD. 204.4 MB on an 80 min CD. I tried to record and my computer popped the CD back out with an error message saying the CD did not have enough space on it. Do I not know how to do this right or is something wrong with the CD? I definitely did not have anything else on the CD before I put the two sessions on it. It was blank. All the individual photo files had their IPTC fields filled out. I hoped to get closer to 650MB or the full 700MB on the CD. I checked my CD Drive Properties after I had just the first four folders on (193.75 MB in total) It said (Used Space: 226,942,976 bytes 216MB) (Free Space: 510,332,928 bytes 487MB) I've heard of lead-in and run-out time for each session on a multisession CD, but the book said it was about 20MB for the first track and 13MB for the remaining sessions you add. I had two sessions on the CD when it was rejected. They totaled up to 498.7MB. With the lead-in & run-out time for each session that would be 531.7MB in total. Is this right? 531.70 still has118.30MB left on a 650MB CD. (I don't know if my equipment will burn to 700MB.) Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Val

I have a Gateway Computer. CD-ROM: 16X/10X/40X ReWriteable CDRW. XP Home 1.0 Version 2002 Service Pack II came with my computer. Roxio CD Copier Version 5.1. 4 year old 700MB CD-R never used. I added 4 image folders to this. This was a multi-session project, the session was closed, but not the CD. All 4 folders totaled up to 193.75 MB. Two days ago I added 4 more image folders to this CD, somewhere around 304MB total size. The project size then totaled 489.7MB. Estimated free space. 151.6 MB on a 74 min CD. 204.4 MB on an 80 min CD. I tried to record and my computer popped the CD back out with an error message saying the CD did not have enough space on it. Do I not know how to do this right or is something wrong with the CD? I definitely did not have anything else on the CD before I put the two sessions on it. It was blank. All the individual photo files had their IPTC fields filled out. I hoped to get closer to 650MB or the full 700MB on the CD. I checked my CD Drive Properties after I had just the first four folders on (193.75 MB in total) It said (Used Space: 226,942,976 bytes 216MB) (Free Space: 510,332,928 bytes 487MB) I've heard of lead-in and run-out time for each session on a multisession CD, but the book said it was about 20MB for the first track and 13MB for the remaining sessions you add. I had two sessions on the CD when it was rejected. They totaled up to 498.7MB. With the lead-in & run-out time for each session that would be 531.7MB in total. Is this right? 531.70 still has118.30MB left on a 650MB CD. (I don't know if my equipment will burn to 700MB.) Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Val

Before you started the second seession did you "import the first session" .

Adding to ogdens comment:

When you put together the project to add folders with files in it - did you include ONLY the folders/files to be added? The sequence of steps you should follow to accomplish what I think you want to do follows:

Easy Cd Creator

Sessions on Data CD's

-----------------------------------

You can have multiple sessions, with multiple folders in each session on a cd.

The key here is to always close the session, but leave the cd open when you write the first session – and every session afterwards, as long as you want the option available to add more sessions on that cd.

You must always first "import previous session" when you write subsequent sessions, so it preserves the pointers to the files in the previous session within the new session being written. You would then drag the additional files to the bottom window of your project before burning.

Whenever you access a cd on your computer, it defaults to looking at the last session written. As long as the pointers to the files in the previous sessions exist there, you have full access to the previous session file contents just as if all the files on the cd were physically stored all in the most recently written session.

For cd's you may have already burned without importing previous sessions, go to the program menu for your Easy CD Creator Deluxe or Platinum and look for "session selector" to permit access to old sessions.

Rich 86

That would probably have been my follow up answer depending on what the user replied with.

Yep - but you know me - ask a question and get a text firehose pointed at you . . . . :)

Before you started the second seession did you "import the first session" .

I don't know what you mean about "import previous session." The four new folders were added to the whole project. I did not delete the first session. I did not finalize the CD. Only the first session was finalized. I only added the folders with the files in them. I have burned one other multi-session CD and didn't have a problem seeing all of the sessions. I was just wondering about the extra space, I'm sorry I don't know much about this...thank you for any ideas.

I don't know what you mean about "import previous session." The four new folders were added to the whole project. I did not delete the first session. I did not finalize the CD. Only the first session was finalized. I only added the folders with the files in them. I have burned one other multi-session CD and didn't have a problem seeing all of the sessions. I was just wondering about the extra space, I'm sorry I don't know much about this...thank you for any ideas.

Sounds like you recorded in separate sessions. Normally, a computer will only see the last session, which is why you're not seeing the files you recorded earlier. To fix this next time, when you add a new session, be sure to set the option to Import Previous Session (under the Disc menu at the top of the Data CD Project window).

Meanwhile, you should be able to get back to your first sesion by using the session selector. From Windows, go to Start-Programs-Roxio Easy CD Creator 5-Applications-Session Selector. If your disk and first session are OK, it should let you get at your files in the first session.

The resulting increase in space occupied will only be the size of the new or changed files (plus 10MB or so of overhead if using CD-R).

From the FREQUENT ANSWERS post pinned to the top of the Forum:

==================

DataProject - import session: When you close session, don't close CD, the next time you add a session, you need to be sure to "import session" (it's on the Disc menu). What this does is bring forward the TOC (Table of Contents) so you can still access those files. It is NOT like a "save as" of a document which duplicates the document; it merely keeps the address so you can find the document. Just remember to finalize the CD before your computer crashes, in case when it it revived it has a different program.

If you didn't do that, there is still hope - http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=159

==================

The link is to the very thuro explanation of the problem by Digital Guru Brendon T.

When you get in to newer programs such as the built-in WinXP burning, or EMC 7 or 7.5 or 8, it is dealt with automaticly. If you use older progams like ECDC 5, you need to be aware of it yourself.

Lynn

The reason I provided the response that I did was I thought possibly you had duplicated the files from the first session in subsequent sessions and that was why the media was filling up so fast. It was a bit of a guess on my part. By "importing previous session" the only thing stored in the 2nd session are pointers to the actual files already recorded in the first session, plus the actual files you added this time. I hope I am describing that clearly enough.

So - to review.

Create your initial DataCD Project

Burn your first session - finalizing the session but not the disc.

When you are ready to add to the disc:

. open up DataCD Project,

. DO NOT open the project you built to initially create the cd.

. put the media in your burner,

. "import previous session"

Note that you can set your program to do this automatically every time if you like

. now drag the files to be added to the bottom window

. burn - telling it to finalize the session but not the disc.

The 2nd session will now contain pointers to the files in the first session, plus the files you added. When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, it will all look as if it is one disc, 1 session, with all the files shown.

When you are ready to add more files, follow the same procedure. The pointers to all previous files burned to the cd will be stored in the 3rd session, plus the actual files you add at that time. You can keep doing this until the media is full.

There most certainly is overhead associated with this process, but as long as you are not forcing the program to burn the same files multiple times, you should get quite a bit of data onto the media.

The reason I provided the response that I did was I thought possibly you had duplicated the files from the first session in subsequent sessions and that was why the media was filling up so fast. It was a bit of a guess on my part. By "importing previous session" the only thing stored in the 2nd session are pointers to the actual files already recorded in the first session, plus the actual files you added this time. I hope I am describing that clearly enough.

So - to review.

Create your initial DataCD Project

Burn your first session - finalizing the session but not the disc.

When you are ready to add to the disc:

. open up DataCD Project,

. DO NOT open the project you built to initially create the cd.

. put the media in your burner,

. "import previous session"

Note that you can set your program to do this automatically every time if you like

. now drag the files to be added to the bottom window

. burn - telling it to finalize the session but not the disc.

The 2nd session will now contain pointers to the files in the first session, plus the files you added. When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, it will all look as if it is one disc, 1 session, with all the files shown.

When you are ready to add more files, follow the same procedure. The pointers to all previous files burned to the cd will be stored in the 3rd session, plus the actual files you add at that time. You can keep doing this until the media is full.

There most certainly is overhead associated with this process, but as long as you are not forcing the program to burn the same files multiple times, you should get quite a bit of data onto the media.

Thank You Rich, This is probably the reason. I will try this. Thank You and everyone else Very Much!

Val

Archived