• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New Toast - Cant Burn Cd

joannemaggio

Question

I just installed Toast 7 into my mac, system 10.4.2, tiger mac. It opens fine but I keep getting error message: sense key=medium error, sense code=0x073, 0x03. I read their site and downloaded 7.2 as suggested. Same thing. Tried their RoxAnne and got sent through 1 hour of usless loops. Can anyone PLEASE get me up and running?

13 answers to this question

Sorry frenchtoast, but I'm not buying it. Never had a problem with Toast 4, 5 and/or 6, but am burning occasional coasters with 7. Everytime one gets the same answer: use different brand of media. When that doesn't work, it is quickly followed by: your drive is on the blink.

Balony! If there is something on the blink it's definitely Toast 7!

Let's hope 7.0.3 or whatever number Roxio cooks up next will fix some problems soon. But then, it's already more than 3 months since 7.0.2 saw the light. Anyway, I'm not holding my breath...

The sense key error is an error generated by the drive that says it cant burn to the media. If the drive is wrong, it has nothing to do with Toast. Toast just displays the error that the drive generated.

I did Toast support for years and years and always had to argue with customers about this issue. Believe me, I am not wrong.

Are you trying to copy a CD? If so, there are others who are having the same problem (myself included). See the thread "Help - copy function causes crash". I've determined that it's a Toast7 issue, because Mac's Disk Utility + Burner works fine using the same media and burner.

I've also tried in vain to get online support but it's a joke. No email address to write to. Endless non-help from Roxanne. I live 1/2 hr. from Roxio headquarters in Santa Clara, but I have to call Toronto for help? I'm considering the 30 day refund policy if things aren't resolved.

Are you trying to copy a CD? If so, there are others who are having the same problem (myself included). See the thread "Help - copy function causes crash". I've determined that it's a Toast7 issue, because Mac's Disk Utility + Burner works fine using the same media and burner.

I've also tried in vain to get online support but it's a joke. No email address to write to. Endless non-help from Roxanne. I live 1/2 hr. from Roxio headquarters in Santa Clara, but I have to call Toronto for help? I'm considering the 30 day refund policy if things aren't resolved.

Dude, you are killin' me. This isnt a crash. Its a media error. Its a problem with the drive using that particular media. This has nothing to do with the "Spinning Wheel of Dealth". Separate issues alltogether.

Also, from what I noticed the topic seemed to fizzle out after the person restarted their computer and the problems went away. Havent seen any posts since that one.

Dude, you are killin' me. This isnt a crash. Its a media error. Its a problem with the drive using that particular media. This has nothing to do with the "Spinning Wheel of Dealth". Separate issues alltogether.

Also, from what I noticed the topic seemed to fizzle out after the person restarted their computer and the problems went away. Havent seen any posts since that one.

Dude - in my case it's NOT the media. I don't get an error message: instead, Toast freezes and I get a spinning beach ball. Media works fine w/ Toast 6.1.1, and w/ mac Disc Burner - so it's NOT the media or the burner hardware. Works fine burning data CDs - problem is copying (non-protected) CDs.

Perhaps are the errors the drive generates caused by some communication problem between Toast 7 and the drive in question?

Never had Sense Key or whatnot errors with any prior version of Toast and all the drives I've owned during that time.

Sense Key error: the drive is malfunctioning. OK, burn through Finder or another app. No problem, drive not moaning and disc burned. Ergo...?

But nope, according to local gurus: the drive is bad, replace drive instead of losing faith in Toast 7. Right!

I never said the drive was bad. I said it was a possiblity. By far 95% of the time it is simply that the brand of discs you are using are simply not a good match for that drive. I said try aother brand of discs.

I have personally received this sense key error with Toast version 3, 4, 5, 6, and now 7. I have fixed this litterally hundereds of times simply by switching media. So experience alone dictates that since you have never had the problem before, you probably aren't as familliar with it as I am.

Do yourself a favor, invest a couple of bucks in another brand of media and you will see I am right.

I'm sorry, but it is. I do...

Don't get me wrong, please. I really wish Toast 7 to be the bestest version yet. And in a way it is with all its new features. The sad thing is that a lot of the fun gets spoiled by actual burning problems. For instance drives reporting errors to Toast 7, but don't seem to report them to Toast 6.1.1, resulting in fine discs. These problems started on launch day and the old forum was full of them. Let's hope it gets sorted somehow/

Archived