Audio Problems

Aunty Jean

Question

I too have started to have problems with burning. I have mp3 files which I want to convert to an audio CD to play on my CD player. I used Jukebox I think - simply open up the folder, select all the files to burn, burn them to disc and voila! A CD with .cma files. Will it play on my CD player though - NO! Tried different makes of CD, to no avail. They play fine on a pc but, when viewed on the pc each file says it is only 1MB in size!! - the MP3's also play fine on my MP3 player.

I read earlier in this thread that the write speed could be the problem. Should I minimize it and try again or is it possible EMC9 is corrupting them on conversion? One thing I have noted is that there is a message appearing on click and drag from Windows Explorer saying something to do with a Roxio file will be lost when moving music to my MP3 player so is Roxio adding something to files?

Any suggestions before I throw Roxio 9 in the bin and go back to an older version which worked?

Jean

16 answers to this question

Since you have a store bought copy I would imagine it's a full copy.Why not try Music Disc Creator as an alternantive.That way Quick Find won't search all the time and if you follow Daithi's suggestion Media Manager won't be running either.

When you go to Music Disc Creator choose Audio Cd and add the mp3 files.Hit burn and the files will be converted and a disc playable in any cd player will be created.

In the Project Settings you can choose to add CD-Text.On the burn screen you can choose which drive to use or both if you wish.

That is the whole problem. Have done this but they won't play on my CD player. Thanks for your message anyway.

That is the whole problem. Have done this but they won't play on my CD player. Thanks for your message anyway.

Have you tried your CDs on any other CD players besides your PC? Can you take one or two to a friends house and try them there? Or do you have a portable CD player, or boombox, or any other player you can try them in? We need you to determine if they're readable anywhere other than in your PC. If they play on any other player, we can pretty much conclude that the issue is your CD player, not the way you're writing them, nor your CD writer.

Until you try your discs on another player or two, and tell us your results, we can't do too much else.

Have you tried your CDs on any other CD players besides your PC? Can you take one or two to a friends house and try them there? Or do you have a portable CD player, or boombox, or any other player you can try them in? We need you to determine if they're readable anywhere other than in your PC. If they play on any other player, we can pretty much conclude that the issue is your CD player, not the way you're writing them, nor your CD writer.

Until you try your discs on another player or two, and tell us your results, we can't do too much else.

Thank you. I gave 3 discs to a friend and she brought them back saying 2 played fine and 1 would not play at all. I think I can safely assume it is my CD player. Presumably a better quality disc would give the same result?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jean

Thank you. I gave 3 discs to a friend and she brought them back saying 2 played fine and 1 would not play at all. I think I can safely assume it is my CD player. Presumably a better quality disc would give the same result?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jean

A different brand of disc may help. CD-R (write once) discs are usually more playable than CD-RW (erasable) discs. I've used Verbatim discs for a long time and they've pretty much always worked well, but, each writer/player combination will be different and more or less forgiving than another.

Good luck!

Okay... next question, how old is your system and burner? It may or may not be relevent (the age of your system/burner), but what you're describing actually sounds like a drive that may be going bad, and it could very well sound worse the further out on the disc you go. And since it has worked in the past, we can be reasonably confident that you're doing what you want to do, and from your previous description, it sounds like you've written an audio CD. So, it may be a hardware problem.

Aren't you glad CD/DVD writers are commodity items that you can replace for $30-$40 now, rather than like my first CD-R drive, that would write at a blazing 2X speed, read at 4X, and cost $1200.

OK now at my pc from which I have tried burning

These are my two drives

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B [CD-ROM drive]

SONY CD-RW CRX217E [CD-ROM drive]

on checking the properties would appear 'enable CD recording on this drive' was disabled so I have now enabled it.

also, going into device manager it does appear the device is old - 2001! checked for new drivers but none found

With regard to trying a lower burn speed I reduced it to x24 and still no joy

Even tried a CD laser cleaner but no effect

Can I burn a CD to my DVD drive?

Any other suggestions?

Frantically trying to install Roxio 9 on laptop now but CD key# not recognised as I had installed it before then unistalled it and the fixes in Roxio won't work!!

Your DVD drive should be able to handle CDs (most machines now come only with a DVD RW anyway)

The installation (overlooking the fact that your license is for one machine only :lol:) - check that there are no hidden folders with Roxio and Sonic names

Here is a good place to look (change the user name - and application data is a hidden folder)

C:\Documents and Settings\Daithi\Application Data

Also, follow the clean install instructions to the letter

Your DVD drive should be able to handle CDs (most machines now come only with a DVD RW anyway)

The installation (overlooking the fact that your license is for one machine only :lol:) - check that there are no hidden folders with Roxio and Sonic names

Here is a good place to look (change the user name - and application data is a hidden folder)

C:\Documents and Settings\Daithi\Application Data

Also, follow the clean install instructions to the letter

Yes, there are folders in username/application data - Roxio and Sonic both with subfolders

Cannot see any clean install instructions in booklet (purchased from a store, not as download)

Should I try uninstalling using Windows uninstall then search for any remains of Roxio and Sonic and simply delete them?

PS - Bought PC from Dell in Dec 2005

PPS - Have just tried burning the mp3's to a Maxell CD-RW in my DVD-RW drive and still no joy - Reading the CD shows all files are .cda and 1kb in size. Could it be the files will not convert or is there possibly a problem with Roxio? Maybe settings need to be changed?

Yes, there are folders in username/application data - Roxio and Sonic both with subfolders

Cannot see any clean install instructions in booklet (purchased from a store, not as download)

Should I try uninstalling using Windows uninstall then search for any remains of Roxio and Sonic and simply delete them?

PS - Bought PC from Dell in Dec 2005

PPS - Have just tried burning the mp3's to a Maxell CD-RW in my DVD-RW drive and still no joy - Reading the CD shows all files are .cda and 1kb in size. Could it be the files will not convert or is there possibly a problem with Roxio? Maybe settings need to be changed?

Here are the instructions.

If you are making an audio CD then the information you see is correct. The files you see are only indexes. Have you tried playing the CD?

I'm suspecting you mistyped and meant .CDA, not .CMA? If Windows Explorer is showing you .CDA "files" then it is recognizing the disc as an Audio CD. Also, it probably is indicating 1KB file size, not 1MB? Audio CDs don't have "files" on them, they have tracks, and what you see in Windows Explorer are just "place holders" and only show you how many tracks are on the disc, but not the real size.

So, now to some ideas... are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) discs? You should definitely use CD-R discs since some players won't read CD-RW discs. Have you tried to play your discs on any other standalone CD players, and have they worked there? If so, then your disc is probably okay, but your player possibly doesn't like recordable discs. Is it an older CD player?

A slower write speed may help. It's worth trying.

So, if you're using CD-RW discs, try CD-R discs. Try playing your discs in other CD players to see if they'll play there, and try writing at a slower speed.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions. As I am accessing this forum via work and was burning at home I cannot recall all information. I can say though that I select the program from Audio that "creates a CD to play on home or car stereo". I am using CD-R discs - some were branded some not (thinking maybe the quality of the disc was the problem).

I have successfully used this program in the past but for some reason it has failed to work three times in succession. I have albums in MP3 format on my pc which I simply want to burn to disc to play in our stereo. The CD's were burnt on my main PC but will play on my laptop. One of them has some sound when played on the stereo but then it starts 'crackling' half way through and the 'static' noice gets louder to the point you have to switch the music off. Another is so crackly you can hardly recognise the music and another will not even be recognised as a music CD by the stereo system (Kenwood stacking system).

I have yet to try a slower burn speed but do know that I selected best quality option for the burn.

Jean

Thanks for all comments and suggestions. As I am accessing this forum via work and was burning at home I cannot recall all information. I can say though that I select the program from Audio that "creates a CD to play on home or car stereo". I am using CD-R discs - some were branded some not (thinking maybe the quality of the disc was the problem).

I have successfully used this program in the past but for some reason it has failed to work three times in succession. I have albums in MP3 format on my pc which I simply want to burn to disc to play in our stereo. The CD's were burnt on my main PC but will play on my laptop. One of them has some sound when played on the stereo but then it starts 'crackling' half way through and the 'static' noice gets louder to the point you have to switch the music off. Another is so crackly you can hardly recognise the music and another will not even be recognised as a music CD by the stereo system (Kenwood stacking system).

I have yet to try a slower burn speed but do know that I selected best quality option for the burn.

Jean

Okay... next question, how old is your system and burner? It may or may not be relevent (the age of your system/burner), but what you're describing actually sounds like a drive that may be going bad, and it could very well sound worse the further out on the disc you go. And since it has worked in the past, we can be reasonably confident that you're doing what you want to do, and from your previous description, it sounds like you've written an audio CD. So, it may be a hardware problem.

Aren't you glad CD/DVD writers are commodity items that you can replace for $30-$40 now, rather than like my first CD-R drive, that would write at a blazing 2X speed, read at 4X, and cost $1200.

Here are the instructions.

If you are making an audio CD then the information you see is correct. The files you see are only indexes. Have you tried playing the CD?

OK I tried using a different burner program (downloaded DeepBurnerPro) on my laptop which appeared to work fine. Put CD in CD player and it played but lots of static in background. So have concluded maybe my CD player is too old and will only play commercially purchased CD's. Maybe I was just lucky with some of the other CD's I had burned off.

Msny thanks for all your help and advice.

Just one more question. Is there any way I can avoid quick launch finding all 700+ music files on my pc when I start up Audio CD in Roxio?

Jean

Use msconfig (go to run, type in msconfig and disable RoxWatchTray.exe from startup - reboot and tell doze 'yes I do KNOW that I disabled a startup app - now go away and don't ask me again')

Since you have a store bought copy I would imagine it's a full copy.Why not try Music Disc Creator as an alternantive.That way Quick Find won't search all the time and if you follow Daithi's suggestion Media Manager won't be running either.

When you go to Music Disc Creator choose Audio Cd and add the mp3 files.Hit burn and the files will be converted and a disc playable in any cd player will be created.

In the Project Settings you can choose to add CD-Text.On the burn screen you can choose which drive to use or both if you wish.

If you use the Jukebox function then all your making is an mp3 data disc.It will not play on anything that won't play mp3 files.You will not get .cda files.

If you want an Audio cd that will play in a cd player then you need to either use Music Disc Creator and create an Audio cd or use the Home app where it says Create Audio cd.

When you make an Audio cd all you will see on the disc is .cda files that are 1Kb in size.All they are is pointers to the actual PCM code on the disc.If you copy one from the disc to your harddrive you will find out you can't play one because there is no actual music there.

You will also only fit a portion of the mp3's on an Audio cd.

MP3 discs are based on size and Audio cd's are based on time.You can only put approximately 78 minutes of music on an Audio cd where as you can put as many mp3's on a disc as will fit in the space alloted.

I too have started to have problems with burning. I have mp3 files which I want to convert to an audio CD to play on my CD player. I used Jukebox I think - simply open up the folder, select all the files to burn, burn them to disc and voila! A CD with .cma files. Will it play on my CD player though - NO! Tried different makes of CD, to no avail. They play fine on a pc but, when viewed on the pc each file says it is only 1MB in size!! - the MP3's also play fine on my MP3 player.

I read earlier in this thread that the write speed could be the problem. Should I minimize it and try again or is it possible EMC9 is corrupting them on conversion? One thing I have noted is that there is a message appearing on click and drag from Windows Explorer saying something to do with a Roxio file will be lost when moving music to my MP3 player so is Roxio adding something to files?

Any suggestions before I throw Roxio 9 in the bin and go back to an older version which worked?

Jean

I'm suspecting you mistyped and meant .CDA, not .CMA? If Windows Explorer is showing you .CDA "files" then it is recognizing the disc as an Audio CD. Also, it probably is indicating 1KB file size, not 1MB? Audio CDs don't have "files" on them, they have tracks, and what you see in Windows Explorer are just "place holders" and only show you how many tracks are on the disc, but not the real size.

So, now to some ideas... are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) discs? You should definitely use CD-R discs since some players won't read CD-RW discs. Have you tried to play your discs on any other standalone CD players, and have they worked there? If so, then your disc is probably okay, but your player possibly doesn't like recordable discs. Is it an older CD player?

A slower write speed may help. It's worth trying.

So, if you're using CD-RW discs, try CD-R discs. Try playing your discs in other CD players to see if they'll play there, and try writing at a slower speed.

Let us know how you make out.

Archived