• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Keep Getting "please Insert A Blank Or Rewriteable Disc..." Error

tloke1

Question

The first time I use Creator 8 to make a data or music disc all is ok. However, trying to make a second disc, whether another copy or of a totally different program I get a "Please insert a blank or rewriteable disc..." error which is VERY frustrating. I have tried all types of different media and get the same error. If I close Roxio and reopen it, same problem 95% of the time (every once in awhile closing the program and reopening it will allow me to burn another copy). The only solution I have found is to reboot the computer, but this is a major pain to do every time you want to burn a CD.

If I use Creator Classic I never get the "blank disc" error, it accepts the disc every time. Howver, CC is worthless as it consumes 100% of the CPU rendering my computer useless the entire time it is burning discs.

18 answers to this question

It sounds like Auto-Insert Notification isn't working properly on that drive, or it's been disabled. If, after writing a disc, taking it out and inserting a blank, you then open the Disc and Device utility under "Tools" in Roxio EMC 8, and look at the properties of the inserted blank, does it display it properly as a blank disc? Or does it show the properties of the recently burned disc? If Disc and Device utility shows it properly, what happens if you then try to burn? Do you get the same message?

Let us know.

This is interesting - today I had a project that involved burning 12 different CD's. Sure enough, the first one burned ok and every attempt after that resulted in the annoying "please insert a blank..." message. At times in the past I could simply close Roxio, reopen it, and it would usually work. But more often it required a reboot which is totally unacceptable, I have other work I am doing and if rebooting between every CD made was required I would never get nothing done.

It's really pretty dumb that you cannot select to burn multiple copies in the program! But I am not surprised as based on a lot of how the Roxio program operates it it pretty obvious that the people designing the program never use it.

Anyway, I have found an interesting workaround for this issue... when I am ready to burn a second CD if I simply go to "Tools" and select "Disc information" (which does show "blank media") and then go back and select "Audio CD", add my files and it accepts the disc and burns it! I get the "Project Running" screen immediately. Works every time, flawlessly!

This is interesting - today I had a project that involved burning 12 different CD's. Sure enough, the first one burned ok and every attempt after that resulted in the annoying "please insert a blank..." message. At times in the past I could simply close Roxio, reopen it, and it would usually work. But more often it required a reboot which is totally unacceptable, I have other work I am doing and if rebooting between every CD made was required I would never get nothing done.

It's really pretty dumb that you cannot select to burn multiple copies in the program! But I am not surprised as based on a lot of how the Roxio program operates it it pretty obvious that the people designing the program never use it.

Anyway, I have found an interesting workaround for this issue... when I am ready to burn a second CD if I simply go to "Tools" and select "Disc information" (which does show "blank media") and then go back and select "Audio CD", add my files and it accepts the disc and burns it! I get the "Project Running" screen immediately. Works every time, flawlessly!

So, apparently the Tools -> Disc Information (suggested above, but not as a cure) forces your system or drive to refresh it's contents. I'm not certain we can say it's a "Roxio" issue for certain. Some drives are more reluctant to refresh their contents than others, which is why EMC has the option to eject the disc after the burn. Obviously, for some reason, your system requires another poke or prod such as it gets from the request for Disc Information.

Glad you found a solution.

I am able to burn one CD or DVD. If I try to make more than one copy of a disk or try to burn more than one disk I am prompted to insert blank media. When I click the burn button it just spits out my blank disk and asks for another one. It will not accept another blank CD or DVD until I reboot my PC and then the whole thing starts again. Some of the other problems are trying to print CD case inserts and sleeves. I've already posted about that problem. Sleeves come out too big horizontally when printed. Roxio retrieve doesn't work either. It always errors out on the second CD and then locks up my PC. I installed the 100 meg update but that didn't help. Not really a problem but more of an annoyance is that I can not get any of the programs to open with a maximized window. They always open in a small window in the center of the screen. I really don't see why you would design it so you can't have the window open maximized if you want to?

No intention to hijack this thread - the issue is similar to the thread I posted a couple of days ago concerning burning a video image file using Disc Copier.

No intention to hijack this thread - the issue is similar to the thread I posted a couple of days ago concerning burning a video image file using Disc Copier.

I wonder if you did the same thing as was done here, if you would be successful in burning more than one. Give it a shot the next time that you want to burn more than one DVD from an ISO. I would be interested to know if it works.

I see it has one worthless reply: "Reboot in between burns". Who the hell wants to reboot between every CD burn? That is just ridiculous, didn't have that issue with earlier versions of Roxio.

d_deweywright, I don't see it as a non-Roxio issue, it's interesting that the problem is ONLY with the Roxio's regular CD burn program. If I go to "Advance Projects" and choose "Music Disc Creator" it will never ask for a disc no matter how many different projects I run back to back. The big problem with MDC is that it consumes 100% of CPU resources and therefore is 100% worthless as my computer is "down" for the entire time I am burning CD's. Typical poor programming by Roxio software "designers".

I have owned just about every version of Roxio, and many others, and have NEVER had it refuse discs like Roxio 8. There is obviously a design flaw somewhere.

I see it has one worthless reply: "Reboot in between burns". Who the hell wants to reboot between every CD burn? That is just ridiculous, didn't have that issue with earlier versions of Roxio.

No one wants to reboot between burns. I don't have to reboot between burns. I offered it as a solution for his case. The reply was not worthless, as you say.

I did not see you reply to his post, unless I missed something.

Auto-Insert Notification is enabled and works on both drives. I've already uninstalled EMC8 which caused both my optical drives to disappear from my computer, even after a reboot. I guess I don't have to worry about burning disks anymore. :)

Actually I got them back by deleting the upper filter and lower filter values with regedit.

Not sure what I'm going to use to burn disks with now. Might be time to try NERO.

d_deweywright, I don't see it as a non-Roxio issue, it's interesting that the problem is ONLY with the Roxio's regular CD burn program. If I go to "Advance Projects" and choose "Music Disc Creator" it will never ask for a disc no matter how many different projects I run back to back. The big problem with MDC is that it consumes 100% of CPU resources and therefore is 100% worthless as my computer is "down" for the entire time I am burning CD's. Typical poor programming by Roxio software "designers".

I have owned just about every version of Roxio, and many others, and have NEVER had it refuse discs like Roxio 8. There is obviously a design flaw somewhere.

Actually, at one point, rebooting between burns was not uncommon. But I'm dating myself as that goes back to version 3 or even before. Some peoples systems just didn't refresh properly after a burn, and rebooting was the way to get everything reset.

As for "the problem is ONLY with the Roxio's regular CD burn program", well, the original poster said nothing of trying other applications and not having this problem with those applications. There is not enough information here to assign blame entirely to Roxio, or to a Windows/hardware refresh issue. Nor can we completely clear either of blame.

So, would you care to include a link to a separate thread with your issues? This thread isn't about Music Disc Creator using 100% of the CPU. (By the way, to satisfy my curiousity, I'm burning a disc using MDC right now, and you're right, it does bury the CPU usage, in case you were worried I would deny a problem without testing it out.)

...As for "the problem is ONLY with the Roxio's regular CD burn program", well, the original poster said nothing of trying other applications and not having this problem with those applications. There is not enough information here to assign blame entirely to Roxio, or to a Windows/hardware refresh issue. Nor can we completely clear either of blame.

So, would you care to include a link to a separate thread with your issues? This thread isn't about Music Disc Creator using 100% of the CPU. (By the way, to satisfy my curiousity, I'm burning a disc using MDC right now, and you're right, it does bury the CPU usage, in case you were worried I would deny a problem without testing it out.)

I WAS the original poster and I mentioned in my original post that I did not have the problem with MDC. THAT was my original point, that I had the issue with one of the CD burn programs in Roxio 8 but NOT the other - that combined with the fact that this was not an issue on ECD7 tells me that it IS a Roxio problem.

Who said anything about you ever denying a problem???

I WAS the original poster and I mentioned in my original post that I did not have the problem with MDC. THAT was my original point, that I had the issue with one of the CD burn programs in Roxio 8 but NOT the other - that combined with the fact that this was not an issue on ECD7 tells me that it IS a Roxio problem.

Who said anything about you ever denying a problem???

No one... but just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me! :)

And my apologies for losing track of this being your original thread. The focus became getting a solution or workaround for burning multiple discs. The fact that it wasn't an issue in MDC was lost (at least for me, obviously). Why the programs behave differently when burning multiple discs, I don't know, I expect they use the same burn engine underneath, but expectations, and what is actually implemented may well be different things.

I am able to burn one CD or DVD. If I try to make more than one copy of a disk or try to burn more than one disk I am prompted to insert blank media. When I click the burn button it just spits out my blank disk and asks for another one. It will not accept another blank CD or DVD until I reboot my PC and then the whole thing starts again. Some of the other problems are trying to print CD case inserts and sleeves. I've already posted about that problem. Sleeves come out too big horizontally when printed. Roxio retrieve doesn't work either. It always errors out on the second CD and then locks up my PC. I installed the 100 meg update but that didn't help. Not really a problem but more of an annoyance is that I can not get any of the programs to open with a maximized window. They always open in a small window in the center of the screen. I really don't see why you would design it so you can't have the window open maximized if you want to?

First of all, I don't work for Roxio, so I didn't design anything with this software. I don't have the problem with burning to more than one CD or DVD, but I always reboot between burns, anyway. A person should not have to reboot, unless they want to.

I don't use the software to make CD labels, etc. I use the ancient Neato MediaFace II software. It does everything that I need it to. LOL

I am able to burn one CD or DVD. If I try to make more than one copy of a disk or try to burn more than one disk I am prompted to insert blank media. When I click the burn button it just spits out my blank disk and asks for another one. It will not accept another blank CD or DVD until I reboot my PC and then the whole thing starts again.

It sounds like Auto-Insert Notification isn't working properly on that drive, or it's been disabled. If, after writing a disc, taking it out and inserting a blank, you then open the Disc and Device utility under "Tools" in Roxio EMC 8, and look at the properties of the inserted blank, does it display it properly as a blank disc? Or does it show the properties of the recently burned disc? If Disc and Device utility shows it properly, what happens if you then try to burn? Do you get the same message?

Let us know.

"I really don't see why you would design it so you can't have the window open maximized if you want to?"

The "you" in that sentence was not meant to refer to you specifically. I probably should have said they instead.

I didn't think you were referring to me, but I had to make sure.

The first time I use Creator 8 to make a data or music disc all is ok. However, trying to make a second disc, whether another copy or of a totally different program I get a "Please insert a blank or rewriteable disc..." error which is VERY frustrating. I have tried all types of different media and get the same error. If I close Roxio and reopen it, same problem 95% of the time (every once in awhile closing the program and reopening it will allow me to burn another copy). The only solution I have found is to reboot the computer, but this is a major pain to do every time you want to burn a CD.

If I use Creator Classic I never get the "blank disc" error, it accepts the disc every time. Howver, CC is worthless as it consumes 100% of the CPU rendering my computer useless the entire time it is burning discs.

Maybe time to Repair or uninstall/reboot/reinstall???

Archived