• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Top Cable Companies Try Reining In Heavy Web Use

cdanteek

article

Time Warner Cable said it will launch a service on Thursday that charges new consumers of high-speed Internet service based on their usage. Broadband subscribers in Beaumont, Texas, will be charged $1 per gigabyte above monthly allowances, a company spokesman said.

Separately, Comcast said it has changed the way it will manage network traffic and begin a test to slow the transfer of files to individual subscribers who are its heaviest users during congested periods.

The tests will begin Thursday in the Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and Warrenton, Virginia areas.

article

Time Warner Cable said it will launch a service on Thursday that charges new consumers of high-speed Internet service based on their usage. Broadband subscribers in Beaumont, Texas, will be charged $1 per gigabyte above monthly allowances, a company spokesman said.

Separately, Comcast said it has changed the way it will manage network traffic and begin a test to slow the transfer of files to individual subscribers who are its heaviest users during congested periods.

The tests will begin Thursday in the Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and Warrenton, Virginia areas.

The report I saw on the news this weekend said that TW would not say what the max monthly usage is. I think it's because if they let everyone know, they would go with TW.

In my area, Cox says they don't have plans for anything like that but if everyone does it, they will too. Here we are, supposedly the most advanced country (depending on what they're measuring) and we're not even in the top 10 with internet usage let alone speed availability.

I'm sure the guy next door downloading music and movies 24/7 can be stopped but with the advertisements bragging about how fast they are and what you can download, why the about face? And, with Video On Demand coming of age, we're only going to be downloading more in the future anyway.

Over here some companies do that - my ISP doesn't. They did do a 'voluntary' 1 GB per DAY limit but all that happened was if you exceeded that, you got a slap on the wrist and asked not to do it again :lol:

However, they dropped that idea after a few months

What is happening here tho is that ISPs are going to be hauled in by the regulator over their advertised speeds (BBC News at lunchtime). It seems a lot are advertising one rate and either forgetting to mention that it's a 3 month 'trial' and after that you either pay more or get the speed cut or burying that bit of info in small print for a few seconds on their TV ads - not quite subliminal but too fast to be readable ;)

Archived