Question

Hi:

Please find below my system configuration:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 771 MB

On 30th of May 2008, I installed my Vista SP1 package delivered through my windows update. Prior to that I had EMC10 installed and running though I haven't had a chance to test all of its components. However, subsequent to my SP1 install, I tried starting my EMC 10 when the windows installer popped up and started saying "Gathering information" with the status bar freezing just about in the middle. It appears that the installer is trying to do something with Roxio Central Core. But then this stays like that for ever. I tried starting the components individually as well but they wouldn't start.

After 4 clean installs (as suggested by this forum), please note that I followed the clean install steps laid out by Roxio support (knowledge base), I still continue to have the same issue, wherein Roxio will not load and just stop with the windows installer screen constantly running.

Since I suspected this to be some kind of a conflict with SP1, i further explored my machine and noticed that there were no Roxio or Sonic entries in my HKLM. I learnt through my research on this forum that there got to be entries in the registry setting in HKLM. So in order to test my condition, I tried installing EMC 10 on another Vista machine that I have, however, that machine has not been upgrade to SP1 yet. This time the installation went smoothly and later I tested all components to be working normally. I exported the HKLM key for Roxio and Sonic from this machine on a USB stick and imported the same in my Vista SP1 machine where I have a problem. To my amazement, I continued to have the same problem wherein the windows installer will start and get into a non-stop loop and I cannot go anywhere else. However, I found out that I can start some of the components individually though they were erratic (in the sense shut down my machine automatically at will). So it appears that my problem continues.

Its my assessment that SP1 has something to do with EMC 10 installation issue. I read elsewhere Roxio testers suggesting that there is no connection between SP1 and EMC10 which I would like to humbly disagree.

If anyone out there had similar issues and has solved this issue, your help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Please note that I have been using Roxio for several year over several versions and never have faced any problems until now. Also, I am reluctant to reinstall windows as suggested elsewhere in this forum for the fear that if this problem is related to SP1 then I could get into same situation upon reinstall.

Thanks

Usindian

10 answers to this question

I have EMC 10 running here on Vista Ultimate SP1 with no problems

However, in my case this wasn't an update but a clean install of slipstreamed Vista SP1.

It's possible that updating Vista is the root of your problem and, short of a complete re-install of the OS all you can do is keep trying the clean install, remembering to check for hidden folders of Roxio and Sonic - these have to be manually removed after you actually manage to find them

I followed the uninstall directions provided by ROXIO using the windows install clean up tool through this link http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR and later manually deleting the registry entries petaining Roxio and Sonic within HKLM & HKCU and subsequently turning of Windows Defender & Firewall services including my Norton Anti-virus.

Even after doing all of the above, it doesn't seem to solve the problem, unless Roxio & Sonic have other hidden key within the registry that I am not aware off. Please note that my windows explorer to set to display hidden folder / files as well.

I'm not running the Vista OS at the moment so I can't be 100% certain but check in the documents and settings folder. In XP it's under user name and it contains a Sonic and Roxio folder

I'm running the radio in digital mode at the moment on the 10 metre band and my software isn't set up for Vista which is why I can't be specific

I just installed EMC 10 (complete installation) last night from DVD to a computer (Dell XPS 720) running Vista SP1. About 10 minutes into the install, I got a message that one of the components did not install correctly - I had to choose whether the component did, in fact, install correctly or to "reinstall it with the recommended settings". I selected that it "installed correctly" and the installation continued. It was a LONG install (over an hour) and I thought it was going to complete - the progress bar was almost done and the step was "installing content". Then the computer completely locked up - the screen froze and there was no mouse movement, no response to the keyboard, etc. I had to do a hard power off (held in the power button for three seconds) to get it to reboot. After a long restart, Windows appeared to recover and EMC 10 appeared to have installed OK. However, I only got the chance to try a few components but there were frequent program hangs and crashes - although I believe some of this might have been due to the Media Manager scanning my hard drive (SLOOOW). I let it run overnight and haven't played with it yet today.

There appears to be some discussion regarding whether or not there's a conflict between EMC 10 and Vista SP1 - my experience seems to indicate that this is the case. My questions for the forum - should I bother with a clean re-installation of EMC 10? And if so, what do I select when I get the question about whether or not the problem program installed correctly? Also, is there a simpler way of cleaning up the installation without uninstalling and reinstalling (which I imagine will take at least 3 hours). To speed up performance, I plan on disabling Media Manager folder scanning now that it has completed it's initial scan.

Thanks for your help.

I just installed EMC 10 (complete installation) last night from DVD to a computer (Dell XPS 720) running Vista SP1. About 10 minutes into the install, I got a message that one of the components did not install correctly - I had to choose whether the component did, in fact, install correctly or to "reinstall it with the recommended settings". I selected that it "installed correctly" and the installation continued. It was a LONG install (over an hour) and I thought it was going to complete - the progress bar was almost done and the step was "installing content". Then the computer completely locked up - the screen froze and there was no mouse movement, no response to the keyboard, etc. I had to do a hard power off (held in the power button for three seconds) to get it to reboot. After a long restart, Windows appeared to recover and EMC 10 appeared to have installed OK. However, I only got the chance to try a few components but there were frequent program hangs and crashes - although I believe some of this might have been due to the Media Manager scanning my hard drive (SLOOOW). I let it run overnight and haven't played with it yet today.

There appears to be some discussion regarding whether or not there's a conflict between EMC 10 and Vista SP1 - my experience seems to indicate that this is the case. My questions for the forum - should I bother with a clean re-installation of EMC 10? And if so, what do I select when I get the question about whether or not the problem program installed correctly? Also, is there a simpler way of cleaning up the installation without uninstalling and reinstalling (which I imagine will take at least 3 hours). To speed up performance, I plan on disabling Media Manager folder scanning now that it has completed it's initial scan.

Thanks for your help.

Disable Roxwatch in msconfig, or whatever it is called in Vista.

I also cannot get EMC 10 to work in Vista SP1. Got it to install after about an hour. Try to open certain programs and

I either get runtime errors or cannot load program skin. Did the clean install under limited reboot with no positive results.

Your problem is not the same as the original poster - it's always better to start a new thread.

You may have to do the clean install again - search this forum for clean install and make sure you remove all hidden folders.

Also when you install, turn off ALL other apps - this includes Windows Defender, anti-virus etc

I did do the clean install just as was instructed with a limited reboot. Twice.

Also you should not have to go through all of this extra steps to install a program.

I recently installed Corel Paint shop pro with no prob and also Adobe Illustrator with no problem.

Wanted Encore 2.0 but ran out of money. ECM 10 was on sale for 49.00. Thought 7

and 8 were bad. Oh forgot how bad 9 was too. Gave Roxio one more chance.......

Love the featrues, but........

I have today just installed EMC 10 Suite

on my newly built PC 2, added Vista HP with Sevice Pack 1 included

and installed ok..

EMC 10 Suite is just running fine..in fact I just did a project on VW

with movie, pictures with background audio...no probs.

I have EMC 10 running here on Vista Ultimate SP1 with no problems

However, in my case this wasn't an update but a clean install of slipstreamed Vista SP1.

It's possible that updating Vista is the root of your problem and, short of a complete re-install of the OS all you can do is keep trying the clean install, remembering to check for hidden folders of Roxio and Sonic - these have to be manually removed after you actually manage to find them

Archived