Sign in to follow this  
Rick790

Photoshow Installation Freezes

Question

I purchased Photoshow 5 this week. The installation freezes and goes no where. Any ideas as to what could be the rpoblem? I have redownloaded the product 3 times.... No luck

6 answers to this question

I purchased Photoshow 5 this week. The installation freezes and goes no where. Any ideas as to what could be the rpoblem? I have redownloaded the product 3 times.... No luck

Please let us know which version of Windows you are using and any specific error messages you are seeing. There are a few causes for this type of error.

I am experiencing the exact same problem as a window Vista user. What's so frustrating is that I successfully made 3 photoshows, but can no longer do anything. As soon as I open the program, it freezes. I adjusted my firewall settings to allow Photoshow to access the web and have installed and uninstalled multiple times. Any refunds out there? I am out more than $60.00!!

PhotoShow 5 is the only Vista compatible version of PhotoShow currently available. Please let us know if you have this version.

There is a solution to this problem. I just need a little more information before I can give you specific instructions.

Thanks

Please let us know which version of Windows you are using and any specific error messages you are seeing. There are a few causes for this type of error.

I am using XP. I went into Roxio chat help. I explained the problem. The support person on chat told me to disable everything in the start menu...which I did... But they gave the instructions and signed off with "have a nice day" all at the same time. I did not get to ask any questions. I have downloaded the program three times I think, thinking there was an issue with the download.....I click on the setup icon. It starts its installation, then just freezes 30 seconds into starting. It does nothing after this.

I am using XP. I went into Roxio chat help. I explained the problem. The support person on chat told me to disable everything in the start menu...which I did... But they gave the instructions and signed off with "have a nice day" all at the same time. I did not get to ask any questions. I have downloaded the program three times I think, thinking there was an issue with the download.....I click on the setup icon. It starts its installation, then just freezes 30 seconds into starting. It does nothing after this.

There is a fix for you.

This answer is specifically for XP.

Make sure you have set Windows to show hidden folders. Here are the steps to do this:

1) Open a folder

2) Click on the 'Tools' option

3) Click on 'Folder Options' from the drop down menu

4) Click on the 'View' tab

5) Check 'Show hidden files and folders'

6) Click 'Apply' to save your settings

Then go to this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data

Note: the [uSERNAME] is the name of the user account that installed PhotoShow.

If you have a branded version (i.e. Nero, Walgreens, Road Runner etc.) you will find a folder at this address with the brand name. If you have the unbranded (Simple Star) version you will find a Simple Star folder. In any case, open the corresponding folder. You should see another folder named "PS4 Image Database". Delete this folder.

Then reinstall PhotoShow. If you have lost your order information, you may need to contact support.

There is a fix for you.

This answer is specifically for XP.

Make sure you have set Windows to show hidden folders. Here are the steps to do this:

1) Open a folder

2) Click on the 'Tools' option

3) Click on 'Folder Options' from the drop down menu

4) Click on the 'View' tab

5) Check 'Show hidden files and folders'

6) Click 'Apply' to save your settings

Then go to this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data

Note: the [uSERNAME] is the name of the user account that installed PhotoShow.

If you have a branded version (i.e. Nero, Walgreens, Road Runner etc.) you will find a folder at this address with the brand name. If you have the unbranded (Simple Star) version you will find a Simple Star folder. In any case, open the corresponding folder. You should see another folder named "PS4 Image Database". Delete this folder.

Then reinstall PhotoShow. If you have lost your order information, you may need to contact support.

OK, this worked...The installation starts and progresses....for about 15 seconds...Then it tells me that the application is trying to contact Roxio to download the application.... Then it says the contact failed. It tells me to check my internet connection and try setup again.

1)Why is setup trying to download the application from Roxio when I have already paid for the program and downloaded it through Digital River?

2)Why is it not accessing the internet? The fact that I can access the discussion groups at www.roxio.com/support, not to mention the fact that I purchased and again, downloaded the program online, says I have access to the internet.

3)For the record, all anti virus software was disabled at start up. All firewalls are turned off (Windows and Norton). All pop up blockers are disabled.

Any ideas? Installing a product should not be this difficult.

OK, this worked...The installation starts and progresses....for about 15 seconds...Then it tells me that the application is trying to contact Roxio to download the application.... Then it says the contact failed. It tells me to check my internet connection and try setup again.

1)Why is setup trying to download the application from Roxio when I have already paid for the program and downloaded it through Digital River?

2)Why is it not accessing the internet? The fact that I can access the discussion groups at www.roxio.com/support, not to mention the fact that I purchased and again, downloaded the program online, says I have access to the internet.

3)For the record, all anti virus software was disabled at start up. All firewalls are turned off (Windows and Norton). All pop up blockers are disabled.

Any ideas? Installing a product should not be this difficult.

Digital River is the checkout system for Roxio.

When you first download PhotoShow, it first saves a small pre-loader on your computer. When you begin the installation, it downloads the rest of the program.

It sounds like you may still have a connection issue. There may be some other 3rd party security software that is blocking PhotoShow. If you have completely disabled all known firewall and security software, you may need to contact support for more detailed help.