• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Mud

Native Audio Volume Gain Limited To +6db

Question

I am using Videowave 10 to convert DVD ISO's to Divx .AVI for playback on my new Archos 605 (160GB). Everything works perfectly. I get very manageable file sizes (600 MB to 1GB) and the video is crisp and clear. The only issue I am having is the resulting volume is quite low (although it is very clear). I end up having to edit native audio of the ISO, force a +6dB volume gain and then output my divx file, then I have to open the divx file in Videowave 10 and force another +6dB volume gain to set the volume where I need it to be.

Is there any way to have Videowave 10 set to increase the volume gain more than +6dB at a time. Most other encoding programs I have used like Adobe Premiere Elements, etc allow you to increase the volume as much as you want.

It is easy to do in Videowave 10, but it is a pain because it takes an extra 20-30 minutes per divx movie because I have to encode the video twice.

Thanks,

Dave

4 answers to this question

If Adobe allows you to do this, why don't you use that?

I don't really understand your process. If you already have the ISO files wouldn't you use Video Copy and Convert instead of going through VW???

And Yes, VW can change the volume of the native audio level, right click the clip and chose Edit.

I don't use adobe premiere elements because it can't output to divx avi format.

Roxio's Video copy and convert has no way to adjust the gain in volume (which is the purpose for this post) and it wants to force my 16x9 movies to 4:3 with crappy letterbox bars above and below. Videowave lets me create 16x9 divx files from my 16x9 ISO's.

Using 16x9 format and Divx "smaller file size" output in VideoWave 10 creates very nice 600MB to 1GB files that are perfect for my Archos 605.

My question was: Is there any way to increase the volume gain more than 6dB at a time? I don't know why Roxio has limited it to only +6dB volume gain.

Thanks though.

Dave

Edited by Mud

I don't use adobe premiere elements because it can't output to divx avi format.

Roxio's Video copy and convert has no way to adjust the gain in volume (which is the purpose for this post) and it wants to force my 16x9 movies to 4:3 with crappy letterbox bars above and below. Videowave lets me create 16x9 divx files from my 16x9 ISO's.

Using 16x9 format and Divx "smaller file size" output in VideoWave 10 creates very nice 600MB to 1GB files that are perfect for my Archos 605.

My question was: Is there any way to increase the volume gain more than 6dB at a time? I don't know why Roxio has limited it to only +6dB volume gain.

Thanks though.

Dave

A more important question why is the source volume so low that you have to modify it that much :blink: ?

I don't know yet. I just got my ARCHOS 605 late last week so these are my first attempts at loading movies on to it.

All of my ISO's burn fantastic backup DVD's.

When I mount the ISO and play it in Windows Media Player or Power DVD as a DVD, the volume is fantastic.

When I mount the ISO and load it into VideoWave and play it, the volume is low.

I do use DVD shrink to remove all of the menus, subtitles and extra languages and shrink my ISO's to single layer DVD size. All I leave is the 5.1 Audio Stream. Do you think that is the problem in Videowave? It has to convert the 5.1 into 2 channel stereo for videowave playback / encoding so it loses some volume? The sound is crystal clear, just low volume.

I haven't tried one yet where I leave the original 2 channel audio stream in the ISO. I will try that next to see if that is what is causing my problems.

Thanks,

Dave