• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Do I Restore Files On Backontrack Dvd+rw

lvbowler

Question

Hello! I have a problem in which I used EMC 10 BackOnTrack to backup my Documents on a DVD+RW disk on a Dell XPS 720 Vista Home Premium system. I had to rebuild my machine shortly after doing the backup. When I went back into EMC 10 to restore the files, I couldn't find the "Index" file on the disk. I checked the disc to see if there were any files like Backup MyPC did on EMC 9 but didn't find any files at all. I checked all areas of the EMC 10 Discussion Group to see if there might be a way to restore my files but couldn't find any. Next I checked Roxio Support but they didn't have anything which could help me. Luckily, I copied my Documents to my external backup hard drive so I'm not hurting to bad but I would like to use BackOnTrack for my backup program. So I'm here now asking for any help. I'm still rebuilding my computer so there might be a short delay before I can get back to you.

3 answers to this question

I didn't do my homework before posting my problem. After reading BackOnTrack (BOT) problems in the EMC 10 forum, BOT is broken and doesn't have a fix for the problem as of this date. Avoid using BOT for any of your backup because you don't know for sure you can do any type of restore.

Hello! I have a problem in which I used EMC 10 BackOnTrack to backup my Documents on a DVD+RW disk on a Dell XPS 720 Vista Home Premium system. I had to rebuild my machine shortly after doing the backup. When I went back into EMC 10 to restore the files, I couldn't find the "Index" file on the disk. I checked the disc to see if there were any files like Backup MyPC did on EMC 9 but didn't find any files at all. I checked all areas of the EMC 10 Discussion Group to see if there might be a way to restore my files but couldn't find any. Next I checked Roxio Support but they didn't have anything which could help me. Luckily, I copied my Documents to my external backup hard drive so I'm not hurting to bad but I would like to use BackOnTrack for my backup program. So I'm here now asking for any help. I'm still rebuilding my computer so there might be a short delay before I can get back to you.

Never, ever, trust your long term back-up to a RW disc. Regardless of how you have it stored, it may just have essentially wiped itself. Read about RW here (4th paragraph and then about the chrystalline structure).

There are some programs (ISOBuster and CDRoller) that may be able to restore some of the files but since you have another source for back-up, I don't think it is worth it. I have not used either of those programs.

DVD RW were OK when discs were expensive but with today's prices of about 50 cents per disc, it is not worth the gamble.

I'm glad that you have the back up drive. You might want to consider something like Ghost to automatically back up your system so you don't forget to. You may also want to consider backing up your files to an on line location.

I didn't do my homework before posting my problem. After reading BackOnTrack (BOT) problems in the EMC 10 forum, BOT is broken and doesn't have a fix for the problem as of this date. Avoid using BOT for any of your backup because you don't know for sure you can do any type of restore.

I missed something here… How is BackOnTrack broken?

I am on these forums daily and a question or problem concerning BOT is so rare I cannot recall when I saw the last one.

Were it "broke" I would expect to see frequent posts.

Archived