• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Stopage Of Dvd

REDWAGON

Question

I've been around a while with doing these DVD's and have had little problems. But now I have encountered a problem that is really getting to me.

(VERSION 7.5)

1--Have about 75 JPG photo files

2--Using Videowave

3--Place all photos into the program

4--Have 8 separate WAV files that are added. Starting at slide one and placing wav files end to end (no overlaps)

5--Adjusted the time for each slide (times vary) so all wav file times end up at the last slide

6--Save as DMSM file.

7--Open project in DVD Builder

8-- Nothing unusual done here (no editing) just deleted the default music that would normally play when DVD starts

9--Play entire project from beginning to end in Preview mode. Looks and plays great !!

10-- Have tried playing the DVD in several different set top DVD players that all are capable of playing DVD+ or - media.

11- Here's the problem--On each player, the DVD actually stops at about the 6th or 7th slide in the production and will not continue. Playing with the remotes on each, can get you to another spot on the DVD but after a several slides, it all happens again---DVD STOPS.

I have run this same DVD in Roxio DVD Builder "Preview" mode several time now and it runs perfect. I have also gone back to take a look at the original Videowave production and played it through from start to finish there and everything plays great also. I have checked each of the wav files and they all play fine in several different programs as well.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD MAKE A DVD STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF IT'S PLAY ????? Especially on several different players that all expierence the same problem.

Any ideas guys ??

Frank..........

13 answers to this question

Darn---it's back to square one now. I did edit out all of the transitions in my original Videowave production and then re-burned another DVD (DVD Builder) just as before. I've tried playing the new edited DVD on two of the set top playes I used before and the same old problem is still there. I even thought because I made a Neato label and pasted it on the first DVD that for some reason that might have interferred with the correct running of the DVD, so on this second one I left the DVD label off and just used the bare disk.

I'll keep looking and checking for anything that might cause this problem. It's so frustrating because I have never had this particular problem before, and I have made quite a few similar DVD's.

Frank.....

Darn---it's back to square one now. I did edit out all of the transitions in my original Videowave production and then re-burned another DVD (DVD Builder) just as before. I've tried playing the new edited DVD on two of the set top playes I used before and the same old problem is still there. I even thought because I made a Neato label and pasted it on the first DVD that for some reason that might have interferred with the correct running of the DVD, so on this second one I left the DVD label off and just used the bare disk.

I'll keep looking and checking for anything that might cause this problem. It's so frustrating because I have never had this particular problem before, and I have made quite a few similar DVD's.

Frank.....

Frank, I hope you are using RW DVDs for this! :)

Have you tried without adding the audio?

Guest mlpasley

Is this the same spindle of DVDs that you used in the past?

If you try to play that DVD on your computer from the DVD( not your hard drive), do you have the same problem?

Frank.....

In addition to what others have suggested, you might want to take one of the problem dmsm files and do an output to a MPEG or DV AVI file in videowave. If the rendering stops, make note of the tiime in the rendering window. Go back to the dmsm file in videowave and locate that time. It may help you determine if you have a corrupt picture, some problem with the audio, etc. at that time. This has worked for me in the past when I have had troubles similar to yours.

Well, I took Merv's suggestion and output my original Videowave production to MPEG rather than going directly to DVD Builder. During the rendering process, everything went perfect with no stoppage or things that I could recognize as not being normal. After that I burned a DVD using the MPEG file. I must admit that the final product was not quite as good quality as the others, but it was O.K. Once burned, I used the DVD and played it on a couple of the same set top players as before and this time it played perfect !!

I still have no idea why the original DVD Builder production kept stopping at about the same point in the video (approx. 1-1/2 minutes into the video). BTW Walt, I don't buy "RW" disks for the many reasons suggested on this forum. And besides, the other disks are not that expensive as I buy them by the spindle of 100. So I have to use them up some way :) The only ones I don't buy that way are my DL disks as they are still a little high.

Any other suggestions I might try using DVD Builder straight from the original Videowave production ??

Frank.....

Thanks guys, Lots of good suggestions and question.

ml--I have played the DVD on my computer using Roxio's player program and everthing runs perfect.

I used a different spindle of media from others I have made. This particular production I burned using Verbatim media (See below to Walt's lines).

Walt-- I have not tried burning a DVD with all the audio removed, so don't know if that could be a problem with one of the audio files included. If so it would be the first audio file as that's always the area where the DVD stops. Actually Walt I might just start by removing the first audio file rather than all of the audio files as again that seems to be where the DVD stops eqach time in that area.

I am using Verbatim DVD+R and Verbatim DVD-R media

Merv--Your suggestion has some really good merits as this could show where one of the jpg photos used might be corrupt. This might show a similar situation like Walt suggested by removing all the audio to see if one of the audio files is the culpert.

Boy, this is one of those problems that really makes one work to find out what the cause is. But I'm a real bull dog in that area so maybe one of these times I'll get to the bottom of this with you guys help along the way. Thanks ---

Frank.....

Well, I took Merv's suggestion and output my original Videowave production to MPEG rather than going directly to DVD Builder. During the rendering process, everything went perfect with no stoppage or things that I could recognize as not being normal. After that I burned a DVD using the MPEG file. I must admit that the final product was not quite as good quality as the others, but it was O.K. Once burned, I used the DVD and played it on a couple of the same set top players as before and this time it played perfect !!

I still have no idea why the original DVD Builder production kept stopping at about the same point in the video (approx. 1-1/2 minutes into the video). BTW Walt, I don't buy "RW" disks for the many reasons suggested on this forum. And besides, the other disks are not that expensive as I buy them by the spindle of 100. So I have to use them up some way :) The only ones I don't buy that way are my DL disks as they are still a little high.

Any other suggestions I might try using DVD Builder straight from the original Videowave production ??

Frank.....

I believe most of the gurus would recommend using RW disc for test burns of projects but not for permanent storage of data.

I guess I'm just a "spend Thrift" Walt. I don't own any RW disks and I certainly wouldn't use them for permanent storage of anything, even if I did have some. All this past episode with me trying to get a DVD that would play all the way through has been on DVD+ or - disks. And I've probably used a half dozen or so. Not a big deal ! :)

Frank....

I believe most of the gurus would recommend using RW disc for test burns of projects but not for permanent storage of data.

I agree with you Walt to a large degree. However, I happen to have a DVD player that is very, very picky about RW discs (the manual states it will read -/+RW). It will hardly ever play a +RW (regardless of the brand) and will only play a -RW if burned at 1X speed. Further, the -RW burned at 1X speed will only play one time. If I take it out and reinsert it, the DVD player returns "No Disc". I don't understand it, but it happens every time. If I have repeated problems testing a project with a RW, I, like Frank, will "waste" a -/+R just to be sure it is a problem with the project and not my RW disc.

Guest mlpasley
I, like Frank, will "waste" a -/+R just to be sure it is a problem with the project and not my RW disc.

Me too. They are cheap enough that a few 'coasters' can save you hours of time figuring out if it's the RW or the movie.

I've been around a while with doing these DVD's and have had little problems. But now I have encountered a problem that is really getting to me.

(VERSION 7.5)

1--Have about 75 JPG photo files

2--Using Videowave

3--Place all photos into the program

4--Have 8 separate WAV files that are added. Starting at slide one and placing wav files end to end (no overlaps)

5--Adjusted the time for each slide (times vary) so all wav file times end up at the last slide

6--Save as DMSM file.

7--Open project in DVD Builder

8-- Nothing unusual done here (no editing) just deleted the default music that would normally play when DVD starts

9--Play entire project from beginning to end in Preview mode. Looks and plays great !!

10-- Have tried playing the DVD in several different set top DVD players that all are capable of playing DVD+ or - media.

11- Here's the problem--On each player, the DVD actually stops at about the 6th or 7th slide in the production and will not continue. Playing with the remotes on each, can get you to another spot on the DVD but after a several slides, it all happens again---DVD STOPS.

I have run this same DVD in Roxio DVD Builder "Preview" mode several time now and it runs perfect. I have also gone back to take a look at the original Videowave production and played it through from start to finish there and everything plays great also. I have checked each of the wav files and they all play fine in several different programs as well.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD MAKE A DVD STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF IT'S PLAY ????? Especially on several different players that all expierence the same problem.

Any ideas guys ??

Frank..........

Do you have any 3-D transitions in that production? It could be a transition causing the problem.

Boy, up pops the devil. I had never thought of that Bruce. I did add transitions to the entire production and just used the "Default" ones in the program and used the "Random" choice. Not sure now but will check it out by editing the Videowave production by eliminating the transitions and then re-doing the DVD production to see if that is the problem. I had no idea that the default transitions in VideoWave caused problems with set top players. Thanks for the suggestion Bruce :)

Frank....

Boy, up pops the devil. I had never thought of that Bruce. I did add transitions to the entire production and just used the "Default" ones in the program and used the "Random" choice. Not sure now but will check it out by editing the Videowave production by eliminating the transitions and then re-doing the DVD production to see if that is the problem. I had no idea that the default transitions in VideoWave caused problems with set top players. Thanks for the suggestion Bruce :)

Frank....

Doing random transitions should not cause a problem, but you never know. Some transitions can cause problems, and I know the 3-D ones have give some folks fits, but I don't remember having problems with any, myself.

Let us know what happens.

Archived