• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Antivirus Alert

enoughsaid_greece

Question

Hi there

I have a problem with EMC 10. When the program is running and i press a button (any button in UI) i get an alert from my anti virus (Kaspersky with proactive defense enabled) that hidden data have been send to Roxio.

is that normal?? No need to say that while installing i got several alerts for hidden installs and Trojans. (i bought the downloaded version).

Thanx in advance for any response will be much appreciated.

windowsXP on mac pro

22 answers to this question

If you have a Retail version or an OEM from a reputable manufacture, not a problem.

If you have some pirated copy you have what you deserve!

It is common procedure to turn off things like virus protection during the install of any software.

EMC 10 will check for updates and that is probably what your self important AV is seeing.

I too use Kapersky with the 'proactive' defense enabled. Even though I'm still using win-xp, at times I feel I'm using vista what with have to 'allow' stuff all the time in Kapersky.

Even so, I've yet to have to do this while using emc10. You might have to do it once...but then add it to your trusted list and you'll never see the pop-up again. It depends too on your settings in Kapersky...it can be very very paranoid if you tell it to be, warning you about the most ordinary of processes that the average person can't decipher anyway. That said, you normally can trust any reputable company's program such as Roxio.

You might even want to contact Kapersky if anything it warns you about makes you uneasy but as I said, a legitimate copy of this program can be fully trusted.

I use Bitdefender on some of my systems and AVG Antivirus on others and on almost every piece of software I install, Bitdefender finds some reason to check something. I personally am glad it's doing it's job. Much of the software/firewalls question any changes to the registry which is where the real damage can be done.

You've got nothing to worry about with EMC.

Dude

I've payed 100d to download this program so please dont be sooo smart on me.

As for the problems i had :

after installation and restart:

1. a new windows user created called ASP.NET.....something ( THATS OOOODD)

2. my welcome and shutdown screen changed to "Classic Xp style"

3. content cd cannot be installed because it says that i dont have enough space on my disk

4. it doesnt give the option to install to a different hard drive (i have 3)

My system is a mac pro desctop running both windowsXP and leopard

and i have StyleXP installed (so my windows look like macOS)

Thanx a lot for your responses and your time (except the sMaRt one).

plus Mr.Guru i said "every time i click a button in UI " means that Roxio needs to update every time???????????

1. a new windows user created called ASP.NET.....something ( THATS OOOODD)

Not really - that's Windows installing dotNET framework

2. my welcome and shutdown screen changed to "Classic Xp style"

Once installed you should be able to revert back to your choicwe of screen, bearing in mind that it will require a minimum of 1024x768 at 32 bit

3. content cd cannot be installed because it says that i dont have enough space on my disk

How much space do you have on the C drive?

My system is a mac pro desctop running both windowsXP and leopard

and i have StyleXP installed (so my windows look like macOS)

You are running EMC under emulation software - never a good idea

Thanx a lot for your responses and your time (except the sMaRt one).

You would be surprised just how many 'pirate downloaders' we get here - so the point raised was valid

1. Does roxio needs dotNET framework to be installed?

2. i have 1920 X 1200 32bit (and i dont know how to make this change)

3. there are 58GB free space

4. I use Boot Camp (not emulation like Parallels)

5. what about installing to different drive?

Thank you very much for your response

point valid just not well putted

1: Yes it does

2/4: You could still have problems with graphics - if you are running on a Mac system, you ARE using Windows emulation

3: Try defragging the drive and see if that helps

4: It requires that certain files be installed on C: (this is common to all programs). I never install apps on a separate drive - just temp, docum,ents and pagefile so I can't be certain - did you try a 'custom install'?

that cannot be ,because windows use the fat32 partition (from bootcamp) and software like adobe products for example or clip art and media browsers read just that and not the macOS part.

Daithi is correct on the FAT 32.

My advice is to get a PC, or buy Toast and post in the MAC forums.

Emc like to talk over the net because there are parts of it that try to help you by finding info you may want (e.g. for music files you've digitized from your lps and tapes). Emc is not really unique in this either. Many other programs I have would love the opportunity to look for updates and so forth given the chance in order to 'help' me.

Like Walt, I don't normally work while connected anyway.

As for .net creating a new user account? (not to doubt your word, but really? a user account?)...(but yes you need it, you'd be surprised how many programs in windows do), you might need someone with experience running xp and mac together. It may have something to do with that.

Does the program itself actually work for you other than these nagging little things though at least? Hope so. Good luck.

You are still going to have problems with the emulation layer - remember, even tho the Mac uses an Intel CPU, everything else is different and has to be 'translated' from an x86 environment to the Mac one. This will also hold true especially with the graphics end as the graphics system will NOT be a dedicated x86 version but an emulated one.

Your 'NTFS partition' is also probably a layer on the Mac one - and the reported size can be inaccurate (I run VMWare in Linux and that's about the best of the Virtual Machines and I still get problems with the emulated disk)

As Bruce suggested - you ight be as well forgetting about EMC which is designed to be run on reasonably high end x86 machines and think about Toast which is specifically for the Mac

Archived