• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable To Read Or Write Cd's

DC4580

Question

I went from Vista Home to XP PRO SP2 with a clean install. I have been able to get most things working except for Drive D, which is the CD and DVD drive. I cannot read or write a CD. The drive will ramp up like it is going to read the CD, but then just dies off. The strange thing is that the drive functions well under Safe Mode, but not under full-blown Windows. I checked the specifications of my box ( Compaq SR2150NX Presario Desktop ) for CD/DVD software that would have been pre-loaded when I bought the box. Listed was HP DVD Play 2.3 and Roxio Creator 9 Basic. I purchased and installed Creator 10 as well as the most current Cyberlink software which I also installed. There is nothing in Device Manager to indicate a specific problem with the driver or hardware. I have spoken to a number of people about this problem, and was advised to go into REGEDIT and remove the upper and lower limits for the drive, which I have done. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of what could be blocking the usage under regular Windows ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can render.

DC4580

14 answers to this question

I went through the steps within My Computer and started the copy, but received a message " Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do want Windows to do ? " Retry or cancel are the options. Also, the progress bar does not move.

DC4580

First, Ogdens and gi7omy: Thanks for your helpful responses.

Earlier, I was on chat with HP Tech and she was close, but on wrong device. Here is the procedure that corrected my problem:

Goto Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager.

Click on View, choose devices by connection.

Expand the ATI IDE Controller

Expand the Primary IDE Channel

Make sure ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH is listed under the expanded IDE Controller.

Double Click the Primary IDE Channel

Click on Advanced Settings Tab

Change the transfer mode for Device 0 from "DMA if available" to "PIO only"

Click OK

I am back to normal use of the Cd drive now. Thanks for any assistance, tips, knowledge, etc. rendered. Much appreciated !

DC4580

That seems like a bad way to solve it but as long as it works.It that's a fairly new CD drive then I would think it might need to be replaced.Newer drives use DMA as it's a faster way to transfer the data and takes a big load off the CPU.

If you have to leave it like that I wouldn't try and do anything else while the disc is writing.

That seems like a bad way to solve it but as long as it works.It that's a fairly new CD drive then I would think it might need to be replaced.Newer drives use DMA as it's a faster way to transfer the data and takes a big load off the CPU.

If you have to leave it like that I wouldn't try and do anything else while the disc is writing.

It IS an idiotic way to resolve the problem. The drive may be bad.

Speaking based on my recently deceased storage Hard Drive, WinXP recognized it BRIEFLY on startup. I tried re-hooking it as a USB device (using a USB/IDE cable), and it would be recognized BRIEFLY, then WinXP flashed a brief message about the device had problems.

After checking around, I tried starting the drive on the USB cable holding it by my ear, and it went zzzz k't t t .... zzzz k't t t .... zzzz k't t t ....

Decoded that says it was trying to start but didn't make it, and tried again.

The drive has gone into steel recycling at interconnection.org.

Your burner, however new it may be, may also be headed for that great recycling bin in the sky. New drives ARE cheap these days. You might consider one.

(Altho on the Win2000 system, I'm happily using a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R1002 ... a combo drive that does CDs at a blazing 4x ... don't laugh, list price is $259 :) ... uh, I got it used)

Lynn

Speaking based on my recently deceased storage Hard Drive, WinXP recognized it BRIEFLY on startup. I tried re-hooking it as a USB device (using a USB/IDE cable), and it would be recognized BRIEFLY, then WinXP flashed a brief message about the device had problems.

After checking around, I tried starting the drive on the USB cable holding it by my ear, and it went zzzz k't t t .... zzzz k't t t .... zzzz k't t t ....

Decoded that says it was trying to start but didn't make it, and tried again.

The drive has gone into steel recycling at interconnection.org.

Your burner, however new it may be, may also be headed for that great recycling bin in the sky. New drives ARE cheap these days. You might consider one.

(Altho on the Win2000 system, I'm happily using a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R1002 ... a combo drive that does CDs at a blazing 4x ... don't laugh, list price is $259 :) ... uh, I got it used)

Lynn

At $350, the SD-R1002 isn't cheap

Does your old drive refuse to work in DMA mode also?

cd

Mmmm ... looking at the price ... I know someone who paid $1,000 for a 2x CD-RW. On the other hand, my Pioneer 710 can burn DVD/DL at 8x and cost around $35 - altho I think it may have been a discontinued item at the time.

Just saying, prices aren't what they were :)

Lynn

Thanks guys for your responses. I am of open mind, but am coming to the same conclusion: the drive will probably be replaced. I realize DMA would be better, and PIO is only a temporary band-aid until I replace the drive.

OK - can you write (using a RW disc to save a few pennies) using the built in Windows writer?

Do me a huge favor and tell me what is the built-in Windows writer, and how to access it ? Please excuse my not knowing this.

DC4580

Do me a huge favor and tell me what is the built-in Windows writer, and how to access it ? Please excuse my not knowing this.

DC4580

Go into your Windows Help and Support and type in....... make a CD.

Archived