• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Playback Shrunk To 1/2 Screen?

ddollhoff

Question

Hello,

I've been burning .avi movies (tv episodes) for ages using Toast 6-8. I upgraded to Toast 9, and burned an episode disc, 2 actually, and the playback is scrunched to just under 1/2 the screen. It plays back on the left side, and the rest of the screen is black. Plays back fine on my laptop though.

Is there an option I chose, or should have unchosen that's new that may have affected this?

Thanks,

Dianna

12 answers to this question

You have DVD Player set to play the movie at actual size. Since the number of pixels on your monitor are far greater than the resolution of the video it only requires less than half the screen to display where one pixel of video uses one pixel of your monitor. Go to the View menu of DVD Player and change to Full Screen or Fit to Screen to see the video zoomed to fill the entire monitor.

You have DVD Player set to play the movie at actual size. Since the number of pixels on your monitor are far greater than the resolution of the video it only requires less than half the screen to display where one pixel of video uses one pixel of your monitor. Go to the View menu of DVD Player and change to Full Screen or Fit to Screen to see the video zoomed to fill the entire monitor.

Hello,

Thanks for the response,I have the DVD player set to Standard. Actually the picture playback isn't exactly just 1/2 screen. It plays back only on the left side of the screen. There is a little black screen left on the bottom on the left side and completely black blank screen on the right side. I haven't changed the DVD setup at all, and my old discs play fine as well. I think it has something to do with the way these 2 new ones were burned.

Thanks!

Dianna

Hello,

Thanks for the response,I have the DVD player set to Standard. Actually the picture playback isn't exactly just 1/2 screen. It plays back only on the left side of the screen. There is a little black screen left on the bottom on the left side and completely black blank screen on the right side. I haven't changed the DVD setup at all, and my old discs play fine as well. I think it has something to do with the way these 2 new ones were burned.

Thanks!

Dianna

I mistakenly thought you were playing the DVD with your computer because what you describe is what happens when playing at actual size on a computer monitor. I don't recall ever seeing a post similar to yours where the video only takes up a part of a TV screen when played with a regular DVD player.

Possibly Toast was on the incorrect setting. Be certain to use the DVD-Video setting in the Toast Video window. If this isn't working insert one of those DVDs in your Mac and choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Double-click on what appears in the browser window. Hold the cursor over one of the video titles that appear in the window. A window should appear that describes the specs of the video. Let me know what it reports.

Exact same problem here - avis end up squished on the left, and it's apparently random, disc to disc, some burn just fine, some don't. and choosing the manual settings in Toast, like setting the aspect ratio to 16:9, has no effect at all. But I can get the messed-up ones to play correctly in my PS2 for some reason. ... go figure

I mistakenly thought you were playing the DVD with your computer because what you describe is what happens when playing at actual size on a computer monitor. I don't recall ever seeing a post similar to yours where the video only takes up a part of a TV screen when played with a regular DVD player.

Possibly Toast was on the incorrect setting. Be certain to use the DVD-Video setting in the Toast Video window. If this isn't working insert one of those DVDs in your Mac and choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Double-click on what appears in the browser window. Hold the cursor over one of the video titles that appear in the window. A window should appear that describes the specs of the video. Let me know what it reports.

Hello,

Thanks again for helping me with this. I have a full season of 21 Jump Street. All in .avi format. I burned the fist 2 discs (3 eps per disc) with Toast 8 and they played fine, then the 3rd disc I had upgraded to Toast 9 and now this bizarre problem. I don't think the .avi's are any different, I have a feeling the default setups for the new Toast has changed somehow and I don't understand it. Here's what the file says...

Video: DivX, 512x384, 23,98 fps

Audio: MPEG Layer-3, Audio, Stereo 4800 hz

Does that help any?

Hello,

Thanks again for helping me with this. I have a full season of 21 Jump Street. All in .avi format. I burned the fist 2 discs (3 eps per disc) with Toast 8 and they played fine, then the 3rd disc I had upgraded to Toast 9 and now this bizarre problem. I don't think the .avi's are any different, I have a feeling the default setups for the new Toast has changed somehow and I don't understand it. Here's what the file says...

Video: DivX, 512x384, 23,98 fps

Audio: MPEG Layer-3, Audio, Stereo 4800 hz

Does that help any?

Is that what the source file says or is it what the file on the burned DVD says? What may have happened is you burned a DivX DVD instead of a DVD video disc. As I noted before, be sure you've selected DVD video as the format in the Video window. There are many more choices there in Toast 9 so maybe one of the others is selected by mistake.

Is that what the source file says or is it what the file on the burned DVD says? What may have happened is you burned a DivX DVD instead of a DVD video disc. As I noted before, be sure you've selected DVD video as the format in the Video window. There are many more choices there in Toast 9 so maybe one of the others is selected by mistake.

That was what the source file said. I'm attemtping to burn again, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a DivX Disc, but I'm gonna try again to be sure. Just so odd, I could swear nothing was different this time than the last times. I'm only frustrated cause I wanted to watch the rest of the Jump Street discs, and it's hard to watch them on the screen that way, lol

Thanks!

Dianna

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. I'm using Toast Titanium 9.0.2 which I purchased when I upgraded to Mac OS 10.5.0.

The playback appears as being displayed to the left of the center of the screen and appears compressed horizontally. (The left of the image is cut off and the picture is moved to the left of the screen. Any subtitles are scrambled and unreadable.) The disks have all been recorded as DVD Video in standard NTSC format using Toast 9 at the slowest burn speed. I've been making home made DVDs since Toast first supported DVD video without any problems. The only other piece of info I can offer is that some of the Toast 9 DVDs will play normally on 2 of my 3 DVD players. It doesn't make any difference if the DVD player is connected to a HD Television or standard definition TV. I tried an experiment with files I previously recorded to DVD video in Toast 8. The result was they no longer will play when recorded to DVD in Toast 9 when playback is on the incompatible player. (All will play just fine on my Mac's DVD Player.)

It looks as though DVDs recorded in Toast 9 are compatible with fewer home DVD players than were pre-Toast 9 DVDs.

I'm using an iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM and Mac OS 10.5.3 with a LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire/Lightscribe burner.

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. I'm using Toast Titanium 9.0.2 which I purchased when I upgraded to Mac OS 10.5.0.

The playback appears as being displayed to the left of the center of the screen and appears compressed horizontally. (The left of the image is cut off and the picture is moved to the left of the screen. Any subtitles are scrambled and unreadable.) The disks have all been recorded as DVD Video in standard NTSC format using Toast 9 at the slowest burn speed. I've been making home made DVDs since Toast first supported DVD video without any problems. The only other piece of info I can offer is that some of the Toast 9 DVDs will play normally on 2 of my 3 DVD players. It doesn't make any difference if the DVD player is connected to a HD Television or standard definition TV. I tried an experiment with files I previously recorded to DVD video in Toast 8. The result was they no longer will play when recorded to DVD in Toast 9 when playback is on the incompatible player. (All will play just fine on my Mac's DVD Player.)

It looks as though DVDs recorded in Toast 9 are compatible with fewer home DVD players than were pre-Toast 9 DVDs.

I'm using an iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM and Mac OS 10.5.3 with a LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire/Lightscribe burner.

Interesting. What is the brand and model is the incompatible player? Did you use DVD-R or DVD+R media? If you are willing to continue some tests I'm curious if it makes any difference with +R or -R discs. Also, if you still have Toast 8 I'm curious if using it with OS 10.5.3 creates the same problem with that player or if it works fine.

Interesting. What is the brand and model is the incompatible player? Did you use DVD-R or DVD+R media? If you are willing to continue some tests I'm curious if it makes any difference with +R or -R discs. Also, if you still have Toast 8 I'm curious if using it with OS 10.5.3 creates the same problem with that player or if it works fine.

I used Toast 8 with 10.5 before I received my Toast 9 disk. They still play just fine. I no longer have Toast 8 install disks to run a comparison. The DVD media is TDK, Verbatim and Fuji DVD-R. I don't waste time/money on cheap/bargain media. I've never used DVD+R

My stand alone Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder from @ 2001 (The kind used to record TV and copy video tapes) will play Toast 9 DVDs without a problem. It will play Retail/ DVD-R DVDs but not DiVX or DVD+R.

My Toshiba SD-V593 Combo VCR/DVD Player from 2007 will play the Toast 9 DVDs. And it's a piece of crap that I'll be replacing soon.

My other Panasonic PV-D47 Combo VCR/DVD player from 2004 has problems syncing the Toast 9 video, but it will play any other DVD, Video CD or damaged/scratched Retail/rental disk I try in it; even when the disk is full of recording errors. (It stops playback but will resume after it skips over the error.) Ironically, I generally use it to view disks that won't play on any other machine. (It will even load the menu on some PAL DVDs, but won't play any of them.)

I used Toast 8 with 10.5 before I received my Toast 9 disk. They still play just fine. I no longer have Toast 8 install disks to run a comparison. The DVD media is TDK, Verbatim and Fuji DVD-R. I don't waste time/money on cheap/bargain media. I've never used DVD+R

My stand alone Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder from @ 2001 (The kind used to record TV and copy video tapes) will play Toast 9 DVDs without a problem. It will play Retail/ DVD-R DVDs but not DiVX or DVD+R.

My Toshiba SD-V593 Combo VCR/DVD Player from 2007 will play the Toast 9 DVDs. And it's a piece of crap that I'll be replacing soon.

My other Panasonic PV-D47 Combo VCR/DVD player from 2004 has problems syncing the Toast 9 video, but it will play any other DVD, Video CD or damaged/scratched Retail/rental disk I try in it; even when the disk is full of recording errors. (It stops playback but will resume after it skips over the error.) Ironically, I generally use it to view disks that won't play on any other machine. (It will even load the menu on some PAL DVDs, but won't play any of them.)

Thanks for the info. Please also use the Feedback link in Toast Help to officially inform Roxio of the issue. There appears to be an increase of odd Toast 9 failings reported of late. Hopefully Roxio can reproduce these problems so they will get addressed in the next update.

Thanks for the info. Please also use the Feedback link in Toast Help to officially inform Roxio of the issue. There appears to be an increase of odd Toast 9 failings reported of late. Hopefully Roxio can reproduce these problems so they will get addressed in the next update.

I tried the DVDs in my other DVD player. It did play okay in the older machine. Odd. I'm still going to hold off finishing the the season until there's some more data on what's going on here. Thanks for all your help

Dianna

Archived