Converting Avi Files To Wmv

Clover

Question

Hi, I'm wanting to convert my movies which are Avi's into Wmv. I have found Copy & Convert (PC) (CD-ROM)

by Roxio but I can't find out any information where it tells me I can convert avi files to wmv. Avi files are taking up alot of space on my computer. I can change the files with windows movie maker but this takes a very long time so I would like to buy a software that could convert them for me.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

2 answers to this question

Hi, I'm wanting to convert my movies which are Avi's into Wmv. I have found Copy & Convert (PC) (CD-ROM)

by Roxio but I can't find out any information where it tells me I can convert avi files to wmv. Avi files are taking up alot of space on my computer. I can change the files with windows movie maker but this takes a very long time so I would like to buy a software that could convert them for me.

It takes a long time to convert video no matter what software you use. Depending on your system it can take from 1 to 3 hours to convert 1 hour of video

Clover,

You can happily convert AVI files to WMV files with Copy & Convert.

How:

From the Home menu select Video > Convert Video , and Roxio Disc Copier 9 will start

In Disc Copier, select the Video Compilation button, and click 'Add Movies". Navigate to, and select your source AVI file

In the destination side of the application, select Format: WMV 9; Output to: File/folder, and click the 'Save as' button.

Select the place you want your WMV saved to, and click OK.

Please be aware that you can't save the output file to a FAT32 hard drive, no matter how small it is. Because of a bug in Copier 9 you can only save files to an NTFS hard drive.

Please also be aware that AVIs are 'container files' into which is put video that has been compressed by any one of a large number of compressors. To use these AVIs you must have the same type of compressor/decompressor [codeC] installed on your system as was used in making the AVI.

Why:

Why do you want to convert these files?

It's not likely to save space on your system, since AVI files tend to be smaller than WMV files at the same definition. A 3-second DivX AVI I just converted was 400KB as an AVI, but expanded to 500 KB as a WMV file.

AVIs can be played on the Windows Media Player, same as your WMVs, so unless you have a special reason for converting them you might be better to leave your AVI files as AVIs.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived