• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag To Disc

jchanmc

Question

what's the best way to burn an appendable DVDRW disc that can use to read, write with all my PCs? I find the drag to drop feature very useful and convenient to use but the appendable disc cannot continue be written even I hv Roxio ver9 on the other machine.

12 answers to this question

You didn't say what OS you are using, but if you are using XP, why not use the built-in session writing software that comes with it. All XP machines will be able to write and read that

You didn't say what OS you are using, but if you are using XP, why not use the built-in session writing software that comes with it. All XP machines will be able to write and read that

Except that the built in XP software won't burn to a DVD. :)

@ jchanmc: Drag to Disc is the last program that you would want to use for burning. Use Creator Classic.

One last caveat on using VISTA's burning software. If your video card isn't good enough, then VISTA's DVD Maker will not launch. I believe if VISTA's performance for video can't reach enough to run AERO mode then you can't use VISTA's DVD Maker. You may not be able to run VISTA's Movie Maker either.

The earlier VISTA compatiblity program only told me that I could run VISTA. :angry: What it didn't say was no AERO mode and no DVD Maker or Movie Maker. :angry:

I am good to go now as I have replaced both of my PC's. :)

One last caveat on using VISTA's burning software. If your video card isn't good enough, then VISTA's DVD Maker will not launch. I believe if VISTA's performance for video can't reach enough to run AERO mode then you can't use VISTA's DVD Maker. You may not be able to run VISTA's Movie Maker either.

The earlier VISTA compatiblity program only told me that I could run VISTA. :angry: What it didn't say was no AERO mode and no DVD Maker or Movie Maker. :angry:

I am good to go now as I have replaced both of my PC's. :)

I would have replaced the Vista, with XP. :lol:

Not necessarily - speeds increased almost exponentially until a year or so ago - now they seem to have levelled off (there is a limit as to how small you can make the core die before running into all sorts of problems as you get down to quantum level)

Changes are more likely to be larger multi-cores (expect to see 8 core) and also larger drives (again, there is a limit as to how narrow a magnetic track can be before it starts doing strange things)

Anyway - Windows 7 is just going to be Vista SE from what I'm hearing :lol:

Tks for reply, I am using XP but XP only burn CDs but not DVDs.

Except that the built in XP software won't burn to a DVD. :)

@ jchanmc: Drag to Disc is the last program that you would want to use for burning. Use Creator Classic.

Tks Guru, if burn DVDRW with Creator Classic, can the disc be used in other machine for subsequent burning if left open? Cheers.

Moore's law HASN'T diminished and it's still going strong. I would expect Moore's law to continue for at least another 10 years. Processors are down to 45 nanometers and work in the labs has that down in the teens. It's not all about HZ!

Perhaps Windows 7 is only VISTA Basic with some improvements. Who knows, there is only speculation by the many guessers. In two years, the software industry will have caught up with VISTA compatibility issues.

I haven't seen a BSOD yet with VISTA. I hate to think of all of the BSODs that I have had with W95, W98, NT, W2000 and XP. Many have knocked every OS the MS has put out. The whiners will never quit.

Moore's Law is nothing to do with CPU speed - it states that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years

That has NO bearing on the CPU speed - as I said, the trend now is towards multi-core so it still applies

MS OS? I do notice that you omitted Multiple Errors on your list. Did you ever have the misfortune to come across or work with Windows 1 or 2? (not overlooking MS BOB). Do you recall the original 95 (that came on a stack of floppies and was as stable as a plate of jelly in a high wind)? Or the original 98 with IE4 and the 'active desktop'? I don't NEED to knock MSD (they're perfectly capable of doing it themselves) :lol:

BSOD on Vista - seen that myself (and so have others)

And btw - Moore original statement was

"The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year ... Certainly over the short term this rate can be expected to continue, if not to increase. Over the longer term, the rate of increase is a bit more uncertain, although there is no reason to believe it will not remain nearly constant for at least 10 years. That means by 1975, the number of components per integrated circuit for minimum cost will be 65,000. I believe that such a large circuit can be built on a single wafer."

Even he admitted there was a limit :lol:

I never said Moore's law had anything to do with HZ if you READ my previous post correctly (it's not about HZ). Internal bus width, internal path length, cache size and speed, instruction set, firmware going to hardware, prefetching algorithms, # of internal engines and so on and so forth will determine the system performance and NOT necessarily HZ alone not to mention application parallel processing if designed and coded as such. However, circuit density does correlate to overall performance.

Yes I worked with Windows 1 for about two days and then went MAC for eight years.

I have been there and done that!

WE are way off the topic.

Hey - what's a little drift bewteen friends :lol:

Actually - you were the one who brought up speed - then quoted Moore when I replied

" I wouldn't expect the next Windows OS to take less resources than VISTA. In two years the PCs will be a lot faster than today."

Systems will get more powerful - sure - but the underlying speed will probably remain constant - after all, it's the clock ticks that start and stop the data transfer and processing and while the FSB could probably be brought up to a higher rate, there would need to be some form of slowing down at the CPU/Graphics/RAM end to stop the stuff melting down to a pool of goo (unless of course someone comes along with a better system)

Archived