• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast Video Player

justintime25

Question

I own an Intel iMac 2.16 GHx 1 GB Memory using 10.5.2.

Toast version 9.0.2

My problem and main reason for buying Toast 9 was so I can play my videos I make on my computer. My camcorder is a Panasonic HD-SD9. I record my video using a class 6 16 GB memory card. What I do is copy my PRIVATE folder to my hard drive. Open Toast, goto Extras, open Video Player and then find the .MTS files. When toast does play them the AUDIO runs fine but the video is choppy at best. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problems.

9 answers to this question

I just installed 2 GB of RAM another person reports 4 GB and still has the same problem. I don't see any system requirements listed on the box or in the documentation. If my system is not strong enough to handle it then it should state it somewhere.

Well one easy way to test the cause here is to use the activity monitor (in your utilities folder). If you get a huge spike during AVCHD playback, then you know that system performance (including RAM) is the likely culprit.

When playing the video my CPU is 136.5 RSIZE 141.86 MB VSIZE 1.06 GB.

Have 2 GB memory installed

Free 630 MB

Wired 292 MB

Actvice 805 MB

inactive 288 MB

Used 1.36GB

Those are my stats when playing video

I just installed 2 GB of RAM another person reports 4 GB and still has the same problem. I don't see any system requirements listed on the box or in the documentation. If my system is not strong enough to handle it then it should state it somewhere.

I have the latest MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM and playback of the .MTS files from my Canon HF-10 camcorder is still choppy for me. I've also tried moving the files to an external HDD but it doesn't help.

SInce you have the same camera I do can I ask you a question. First, I have a MacPro 3Ghz with 4GM RAM and the video is still jerky. More importantly, I couldn't play the .mts files in the Player unless I changed the extension to ".mpg"...basically tricked it into running. How did you get the .mts file to play?

thanks

SInce you have the same camera I do can I ask you a question. First, I have a MacPro 3Ghz with 4GM RAM and the video is still jerky. More importantly, I couldn't play the .mts files in the Player unless I changed the extension to ".mpg"...basically tricked it into running. How did you get the .mts file to play?

thanks

Andy,

Choose "get info (File, Get Info or CMD+I)" on one of the mts files and change the "open with" dialog box to Toast Video Player. If also select the "Change All" bubble, then all of your mts files will open with this application when you double click on them.

- Ron

I'm not sure but the amount of RAM you have is minimal for OS 10.5 and adding more RAM could help. Otherworld Computing (www.macsales) is a good source for Mac RAM. It definitely speeds up the computer.

If you reduce the size of the video on your screen I believe you'll see the jumpiness go away. If that is the case it means your Mac can't keep up with the amount of information that needs to be drawn on the screen. You might check the iMac forum at discussions.apple.com to learn if other users with your iMac have similar troubles.

Of course it also could be an issue with Toast Video Player. I don't have your hardware to test this myself.

My CPU usage goes up to 137% and I still have over 2 GB of RAM unused according to Activity Monitor.

The MTS files play back, but it seems to be skipping at least half the frames as the motion is not very fluid.

This is on a MBP 2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive. This is the top of the line portable that Apple makes--seems silly that the video would not play fluidly.

I was thinking memory also but that stinks. Have to save now.

quote name='tsantee' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:42 PM' post='208258']

I'm not sure but the amount of RAM you have is minimal for OS 10.5 and adding more RAM could help. Otherworld Computing (www.macsales) is a good source for Mac RAM. It definitely speeds up the computer.

If you reduce the size of the video on your screen I believe you'll see the jumpiness go away. If that is the case it means your Mac can't keep up with the amount of information that needs to be drawn on the screen. You might check the iMac forum at discussions.apple.com to learn if other users with your iMac have similar troubles.

Of course it also could be an issue with Toast Video Player. I don't have your hardware to test this myself.

I have the latest MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM and playback of the .MTS files from my Canon HF-10 camcorder is still choppy for me. I've also tried moving the files to an external HDD but it doesn't help.

I was thinking memory also but that stinks. Have to save now.

quote name='tsantee' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:42 PM' post='208258']

Archived