• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning First Toast Dvd!

coriscapnskip

Question

Having finished my first short movie in iMovie as best I could, I'm trying to burn it to DVD using Toast. The only way I see to get the whole movie in as a continuous entity is to take the entire Quicktime movie from the Media Browser to the video Content Area. Otherwise it's all broken up into random clips.

Once it's there, are you supposed to just put a DVD in the burner and click record? Is there no way to play it in Toast first and KNOW what you are getting, or do you just *trust*?

ARE THERE ANY CATCHES? AM I ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING WRONG, OR RIGHT?

Thanks for any help or advice.

(iMovie 3.0.3, Mac G4, OS X Version 10.4.5, Toast 7.0.2)

17 answers to this question

well you can save as a disc image first and preview, before you burn any disc. In fact i would always save as a disc image first, just for that very reason. Also in case your burn comes out bad and you quit toast, you dont dont have to have toast reencode the video all over again.

Once the image is created (and you're happy with the results when you preview it in your DVD player) all you need to do is burn it.

You can do that from the Copy tab... using the Image Copy option.

Search Help or find the section in the Getting Started Guide under copy called "Copying from a Disk Image".

Basically though... the steps are:

1. Select Copy tab from top of window

2. Select Image File from drawer on left hand side (Formats)

3. Drag/drop your image into main Toast window

4. Click red record button on bottom right

5. Insert blank disc

Go to the system preferences and choose CDs and DVDs. Make sure the option for When you insert a video DVD is set to Ignore.

I can't see where to set the option to Ignore, and CDs and DVDs is not a Disc Image. When I try to put the Disc Image in with CDs and DVDs selected, it says the type of media is not supported.

Once the image is created (and you're happy with the results when you preview it in your DVD player) all you need to do is burn it.

You can do that from the Copy tab... using the Image Copy option.

Search Help or find the section in the Getting Started Guide under copy called "Copying from a Disk Image".

Basically though... the steps are:

1. Select Copy tab from top of window

2. Select Image File from drawer on left hand side (Formats)

3. Drag/drop your image into main Toast window

4. Click red record button on bottom right

5. Insert blank disc

That's exactly what I did, and what happens is when the Disc Image is selected, it opens. The DVD Player starts and takes up the whole screen, with no corner to grab to shrink it. So Toast and the burn button are still there behind it, but I can't access them.

Ok, so the DVD player application is auto-playing when the image is mounted. That is because the DVD image, when mounted, acts just like a DVD would.

If you are using an older OS version then me, there are different ways to turn off auto-play, unfortunately, I dont remember what they were. Look in the DVD player preferences or search the system help.

This is what I like to do. Maybe there is an easier way, I don't know.

1) Edit movie in iMovie

2) Export it using the options for Quicktime Export (Maybe its "share" now in the new versions, I never keep track of what term is used this week) and choose the option for Full Quality or DV (again, I cant remember which term they use), and I export it to my desktop.

3) Once on the desktop I can play it, throw it in toast and have it encode/burn a dvd, throw it in iDVD and do the same. Whatever I want.

I have never had a problem doing it that way so if there was a more simple way to do it, I probably wouldn't, just because I know this way so well.

I'm curious why you do the export/share from iMovie rather than dragging the project into Toast or iDVD. Do you just like the flexibility? Doesn't it create another HUGE file on your HD ... almost a duplicate of the iMovie project?

Yep, I just like the flexibility. You can do pretty much anything with the full quality DV video. You can burn it, throw it back in iMovie for editing later, export it to another smaller format, blackmail a senator, whatever you can think of.

Disclaimer: Frenchtoastwithjam does not endorse the blackmail of any government official :)

The step-by-step instructions for creating your DVD are in Toast Help under the heading "Making a DVD-video."

As for the disc image, go to the Toast Utilities menu and choose the Mount disc image menu. When the image file is mounted it should automatically launch DVD Player and display your menu. Clicking on the button in the menu will start the movie playback.

I can't see where to set the option to Ignore, and CDs and DVDs is not a Disc Image. When I try to put the Disc Image in with CDs and DVDs selected, it says the type of media is not supported.

That's exactly what I did, and what happens is when the Disc Image is selected, it opens. The DVD Player starts and takes up the whole screen, with no corner to grab to shrink it. So Toast and the burn button are still there behind it, but I can't access them.

Just Quit DVD Player and you'll see the Toast window again. You can quit DVD play by pressing the command and Q keys or by placing the pointer (cursor) over the area where the menu bar should be. The menu bar will appear and you can choose Quit from the File menu.

I suggest leaving the System Preferences alone so that DVD Player automatically launches when inserting a video DVD or mounting a video DVD disc image. It's nice that it opens when you're testing the disc image.

It worked the way you said it would. :) Someone on another group told me to try hitting the green button, next to the yellow button on the upper left. I didn't find a green button but while looking for one, when the arrow hit the top of the screen, some options appeared including "Hide DVD Player," so I did. Now I'll see if that works.

Which button? I've hit most of them by now!

That is, the Disk Image starts on "Play," but nothing happens. No motion or sound, opening frame just sits there. Then when I hit "Play" button, it goes to "Pause."

Please help! I am 99% of the way there!

P. S. Somewhere in the User's Manual, the instructions say to turn off the internet. I have a DSL Modem and the only way to turn off the internet is to unplug it, which I will do if I have to, but should I really have to just to play a Disc Image?

This is what I like to do. Maybe there is an easier way, I don't know.

1) Edit movie in iMovie

2) Export it using the options for Quicktime Export (Maybe its "share" now in the new versions, I never keep track of what term is used this week) and choose the option for Full Quality or DV (again, I cant remember which term they use), and I export it to my desktop.

3) Once on the desktop I can play it, throw it in toast and have it encode/burn a dvd, throw it in iDVD and do the same. Whatever I want.

I have never had a problem doing it that way so if there was a more simple way to do it, I probably wouldn't, just because I know this way so well.

When I managed to access the menu, rather than just the virtual remote which first comes up, and clicked on the first window, the entire Disc Image played--PERFECT. Picture is a little pixillated--hopefully will look better on a TV than the computer--but the sound was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT and EVERYTHING was in synch EXACTLY AS MEANT TO BE.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My remaining question is, having selected everything before making the Disc Image, such as form, quality, etc., is all I do just burn the Disc Image in Toast to DVD? Or is there some hidden step such as other forms to select? Thanks!

ALMOST DONE!!!

Since I've typed out the whole painful process http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ult...41894;p=0&r=nfx of this entire project of editing and putting together a movie with titles, I wanted to catch people up on where I'm at with it.

I successfully got the material for the short DVD (titles and a few sequences requiring tight editing) from iMovie to Toast, made a Disc Image, and burned the DVD. The challenge was then to get the material from the DVD to VHS tape. I found my VCR DVD combo would record VHS tape OR play a DVD but NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME! The answer was either to return it, get my $130.00 refunded, then spend an additional $300.00 on a machine that would do the job in one but would also take a week to arrive, since no store had one in stock, then drive a 60-mile round trip to get it when it did arrive. Or, I could try to connect the combo to a VCR I already had using jacks I already had. I decided to at least try the second.

After about an hour of connecting and disconnecting every conceivable cable and jack in every conceivable combination I found the ONE that worked, and GOT THE TITLE ONTO THE TAPE!!! The rest is a simple dubbing job directly from camcorder to VCR except for a few titles and other items to be taken from the DVD.

The only thing I really CAN'T do that I wanted to is make a DVD directly from a VHS tape. To do that, I have to run the VHS tape through my Canopus ADVC 110 converter and then do something I'm not quite clear on to bypass iMovie, since the project is four hours and iMovie quits after less than two, and get it onto a DVD using Toast, OR take the VHS tape to my friend who has the $430.00 machine and simply have him make one DVD. Since I figure for $300.00 I can buy a heck of a lot of blank DVDs, I opted to do the second. Once I have one finished DVD I can run off unlimited copies on my DVD burner using basically the same method I did to duplicate the Disc Image.

THE TITLE AND THE FIRST SCENE ARE ON THE TAPE! NOW, IF NOTHING ELSE GOES WRONG, I should be able to deliver this finished project, on which I've expended over $1,000.00 plus gallons of blood, toil, sweat, and tears since December 12 to my friend the evening of Monday April 3!!!

KEEP THE PRAYERS AND GOOD VIBES COMING AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Selecting the Disc Image either by hitting "Select" or dragging into the area indicated on Toast automatically opens DVD Player (part of the Mac OS X setup), which takes up the entire screen so I can't see Toast.

The only way to get out of DVD Player is to hit "eject" WHICH UNMOUNTS THE DISC!

SO HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BURN IT?

Archived