What Type Dvd Needed To Burn Disc?

Billmac1

How do I know what DVD type I need to be able to burn files and/or videos? On the front of my computer tower on the C/D/DVD burner it has DVD+R. Is this telling me of all the different types of DVD discs out there, I need to purchase DVD+R in order to burn to a DVD disc? I had purchased some DVD-R's before I noticed the information on my tower, and they did not work.

Thanks

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

cd

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

cd

Here is the information:

DVD/CD ROM drives

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG

HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8163B

Specifications

General Buffer2 MB OEMNEC ChipsetNEC ConnectionATA write speed CDR48 x CDRW24 x DVD-R16 x DVD-RW4 x DVD+R16 x DVD+RW4 x DVD+R DL4 x read speed CD48 x DVD16 x

At this thread we will discuss the various NEC 3500A official firmware revision. Please keep in mind that flashing usually voids your warranty, so USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

cd

Specifications

General Buffer2 MB OEMNEC ChipsetNEC ConnectionATA write speed CDR48 x CDRW24 x DVD-R16 x DVD-RW4 x DVD+R16 x DVD+RW4 x DVD+R DL4 x read speed CD48 x DVD16 x

At this thread we will discuss the various NEC 3500A official firmware revision. Please keep in mind that flashing usually voids your warranty, so USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

cd

Thanks for all the information. Sorry,I am lost as to what all that means. Is it saying I should be able to burn any of those Disc types. DVD- and DVD +? If so, then perhaps I have another problem, since when I tried a DVD-R, it just kept rejecting the disk. What is flashing? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I do thank you for taking the time to be helpful.

Thanks again.

Yes, you should be able to burn + - R DVD Media.

What name brand and X speed of -R media isn't working?

In device manager like before ID-ing your drive.

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post for the NEC 3500AG drive.

DVD Media Lists

DVD Firmware Updates & FAQs

cd

Yes, you should be able to burn + - R DVD Media.

What name brand and X speed of -R media isn't working?

In device manager like before ID-ing your drive.

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post for the NEC 3500AG drive.

DVD Media Lists

DVD Firmware Updates & FAQs

cd

The disc I was trying to burn was MAXELL,DVD-R,4.7GB,Up to 16X

The firmware version per your instructions follow:

IDE\CDROM_NEC_DVD_RW_ND3500AG---------------------2.98

IDE\CDROM-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GRB8163B-------------------ow16

On the front of my computer tower on the C/D/DVD burner it has DVD+R.

I'd try burning a DVD+R before you try any more updating.

DVD+R are the same price as DVD-R and I've found they are more compatable with the different brands of DVD players that my friends have.

You also might want to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and see if they have any 'updates' for your DVD burner on their SUPPORT website.

I'd try burning a DVD+R before you try any more updating.

DVD+R are the same price as DVD-R and I've found they are more compatable with the different brands of DVD players that my friends have.

You also might want to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and see if they have any 'updates' for your DVD burner on their SUPPORT website.

Thanks Ml. Will check out the web site.

Reading the problems with that drive reported on some other sites, it looks as if the drive will use most DVD+ discs, but only very good quality DVD- blanks.

There is a suggestion I saw that a firmware update might help, but that is a general suggestion and doesn't infer that the poster knew anything particular about your drive.

Reading the problems with that drive reported on some other sites, it looks as if the drive will use most DVD+ discs, but only very good quality DVD- blanks.

There is a suggestion I saw that a firmware update might help, but that is a general suggestion and doesn't infer that the poster knew anything particular about your drive.

Thanks for your input Brendon. As you can tell, I know nothing about this subject. I have no problem burning CD's, but I have yet to burn a DVD. I'm not sure what firmware or flash do. I will purchase some DVD+ and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again

I'm not sure what firmware or flash do.

My recommendation is that you ONLY USE UPDATES/FIRMWARE from your computer manufacturer's website.

There also may be some 'brands' recommended on the computer/DVD burner manufacturer's websites. Some DVD burners work best with certain 'brands' of DVDs.

Hi Bill,

Computer motherboards and drives, and many sorts of components, need instructions to tell them how to obey commands you give them.

If these instructions are written in ROM chips which can't readily be changed and where they can normally only be read they're called 'firmware'.

If they're written on readily changeable media [disks etc] they're termed 'software'

The pieces of the machine you can kick are 'hardware'.

The firmware stored in a DVD drive tells the drive how to behave, and also how to recognize and burn different brands and types of disc. Because of this, a manufacturer may put out new 'firmware' from time to time to help the drive write better or to recognize newer brands of disc.

'Flashing' in this meaning, is running a special program to write the new firmware into the ROM chip in the drive.

Updating a drive's firmware is often very helpful, but it's a job only experienced people should try.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks ml, we covered that quite well in post #6, including links.

Thanks for your input Brendon. As you can tell, I know nothing about this subject. I have no problem burning CD's, but I have yet to burn a DVD. I'm not sure what firmware or flash do. I will purchase some DVD+ and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again

Billmac1

In what application, of what software and version #, have you never been able to burn a DVD?

I don't think it's a matter of + - R media!

NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG - 2.16, 2.18, 2.19, 2.1A

You have this 2.18 and the new firmware version is this 2.1A

I looked at your media ID's (MID) for the 2.1A firmware it is a very long list of supported media by your drive.

I own a Nec 3550A Drive. :) Hold off on any firmware flashing, since you say you don't know what your doing. I think it's a different problem anyway.

------------------------------------------

Firmware: NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG2.1

Overall supported media types: 593

DVD+R9 supported media types: 6

DVD+R supported media types: 146

DVD+RW supported media types: 26

DVD-R supported media types: 373

DVD-RW supported media types: 42

cd

Thanks ml, we covered that quite well in post #6, including links.

Thanks, cd, but our advice was slightly different.

I could be wrong, but since the poster said that the sticker on the outside of the case said that it's a DVD+R drive, it sounds like the drive came included in the computer. In that case, updates are usually available through the computer manufacturer and they usually come with either self installing software or detailed instructions for installation.

I agree that the poster should not 'flash' the drive without proper instructions. An improper 'flash' could disable the drive, as you well know.

Thanks, cd, but our advice was slightly different.

I could be wrong, but since the poster said that the sticker on the outside of the case said that it's a DVD+R drive, it sounds like the drive came included in the computer. In that case, updates are usually available through the computer manufacturer and they usually come with either self installing software or detailed instructions for installation.

I agree that the poster should not 'flash' the drive without proper instructions. An improper 'flash' could disable the drive, as you well know.

Sorry Billmac1,

I'm going to let folks that have more experience with hardware, help you with your issue.

I do hope things go well...

cd

Sorry Billmac1,

I'm going to let folks that have more experience with hardware, help you with your issue.

I do hope things go well...

cd

Well, gang, I want to thank each and everyone of you for taking time out to offer your help. At this point, I am not sure what the problem is, but thanks to each of you, I have some starting points for solving the problem.

Great site, great people. Thanks so much.

Well, gang, I want to thank each and everyone of you for taking time out to offer your help. At this point, I am not sure what the problem is, but thanks to each of you, I have some starting points for solving the problem.

Great site, great people. Thanks so much.

Good news! Today I purchased some Memorex DVD+R's and they worked. Not sure why the -R's wouldn't work, but I am a happy camper with the DVD+'s.

Thanks again to all who jumped in and offered their assistance.

Archived