Sign in to follow this  
sockit2me

Photoshow Installation Freezes Vista

Question

I purchased Photoshow 5 this week. The installation freezes and goes no where. Any ideas as to what could be the rpoblem? I have redownloaded the product 3 times.... No luck

I am experiencing the exact same problem as a window Vista user. What's so frustrating is that I successfully made 3 photoshows, but can no longer do anything. As soon as I open the program, it freezes. I adjusted my firewall settings to allow Photoshow to access the web and have installed and uninstalled multiple times. Any refunds out there? I am out more than $60.00!!

6 answers to this question

PhotoShow 5 is the only Vista compatible version of PhotoShow currently available. Please let us know if you have this version.

There is a solution to this problem. I just need a little more information before I can give you specific instructions.

Thanks

I have Photoshow 5 and I am beginning to regret that I have it!! I am using Photoshow 5 with Windows Vista. I have uninstalled again, changed the user account control to off and have allowed Photoshow 5 through my firewall. What else does it take??

I am experiencing the exact same problem as a window Vista user. What's so frustrating is that I successfully made 3 photoshows, but can no longer do anything. As soon as I open the program, it freezes. I adjusted my firewall settings to allow Photoshow to access the web and have installed and uninstalled multiple times. Any refunds out there? I am out more than $60.00!!

This answer is specifically for Vista.

Turn account controls off:

1) Click on the 'Start' button in the lower left hand corner of Windows

2) Choose 'Control Panel'

3) Select 'User Accounts and Family Settings'

4) Select 'User Accounts'

5) Select 'Turn User Account Control On or Off'

6) Turn this off

Make sure you have set Windows to show hidden folders. Here are the steps to do this:

Go to the Control Panel.

When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:

1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.

2. Click on the View tab.

3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.

2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.

Then go to this location on your hard drive:

C:\users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming

Note: the [uSERNAME] is the name of the user account that installed PhotoShow.

If you have a branded version (i.e. Nero, Walgreens, Road Runner etc.) you will find a folder at this address with the brand name. If you have the unbranded (Simple Star) version you will find a Simple Star folder. In any case, open the corresponding folder. You should see another folder named "PS4 Image Database". Delete this folder.

Then reinstall PhotoShow. If you have lost your order information, you may need to contact support.

When PhotoShow is installed, you can turn account controls back on if you wish.

:angry2: I can't open the software...it freezes for several minutes...then I get the msg "not reponding"...then I can't even get it to close that I have to shut down whole computer and start it again...and support team is no help....what should take half an hr to make a photoshow is now taking up a whole day.....when I last got it to work (4 wks ago) I kept getting the msg "Photoshow has to close down" and all the work I did was lost.....if it's not fixed, I will stop using it and find a compatible software...too frustrating....wrote to the headquarters in Cal about 5 months ago and STILL haven't heard from them!!!!

:angry2: I can't open the software...it freezes for several minutes...then I get the msg "not reponding"...then I can't even get it to close that I have to shut down whole computer and start it again...and support team is no help....what should take half an hr to make a photoshow is now taking up a whole day.....when I last got it to work (4 wks ago) I kept getting the msg "Photoshow has to close down" and all the work I did was lost.....if it's not fixed, I will stop using it and find a compatible software...too frustrating....wrote to the headquarters in Cal about 5 months ago and STILL haven't heard from them!!!!

For future reference, PhotoShow support can now be reached here.

It sounds like you are having a similar error to sockit2me. Please try my previous instructions and post the results.

If you have trouble with the instructions or after completing them, please describe what error you see. It is also important to note what you were doing just before the error occurred.

:rolleyes: i had to remove all of the photoshows i made when i did uninstall and reinstall,because when i tried to do reinstall without unchecking boxes that hold all of your photoshows,i had same problem.

:rolleyes: i had to remove all of the photoshows i made when i did uninstall and reinstall,because when i tried to do reinstall without unchecking boxes that hold all of your photoshows,i had same problem.

Thanks for the update djps55. That option should be seen as a last resort.

For future readers: djps55 has unchecked a specific box during the uninstall process. You will be asked to keep the PhotoShow database. If you uncheck the box you will loose any PhotoShows saved to the computer.

It is best to upload your shows to your site regularly, as a back-up option. If you remove the database and reinstall, you can download your Shows back into PhotoShow later.