Slatts

Tv Safe Zone Also Menu Question

Question

I've created a slideshow in videowave with 180 pics, music, transitions and some pan effect on some slides. It's still in the videowave production phase. Now I'm reading on this forum about the TV safe zone. My question is the imaze resizing a MUST or is it something that might, could, probably not be needed? The thing is I am going to burn multiple copies to distribute so no two tv's, dvd players will probably be alike. Do I have to start over and resize all the pictures?

My second question has to do with the menu, I just want to be able to put in the dvd, have it load to a menu page with a picture I have and have the PLAY option. Press play and the slideshow begins. I guess I'm a little confused between menu's, chapters. sub menus etc. Don't need all the extras. Thank You.

I've created a slideshow in videowave with 180 pics, music, transitions and some pan effect on some slides. It's still in the videowave production phase. Now I'm reading on this forum about the TV safe zone. My question is the imaze resizing a MUST or is it something that might, could, probably not be needed? The thing is I am going to burn multiple copies to distribute so no two tv's, dvd players will probably be alike. Do I have to start over and resize all the pictures?

My second question has to do with the menu, I just want to be able to put in the dvd, have it load to a menu page with a picture I have and have the PLAY option. Press play and the slideshow begins. I guess I'm a little confused between menu's, chapters. sub menus etc. Don't need all the extras. Thank You.

Whether or not you want to resize the images is up to you. The TV overscan will cut part of the pictures off. That is a function of the TV. I use a free program called Image Cropper to bulk crop (resize) my pictures, if I am going to use them in a slide show. You can find it, here:

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/crop.htm

For the menu, save your production in VideoWave, close it, open MyDVD, change to whatever menu you want, bring in your VideoWave file (.dmsm), change the menu picture to whatever you want, and burn your production.

Thanks, I guess I already know the answer but I'll need to start from scratch once I resize the pictures or can I just replace each picture and leave all transitions, music etc intact.

Thanks Again.

Resizing your pictures will have no effect on the transitions or the audio (music) you have added, so you won't have to worry about that part. However, if you say you are going to start from "scratch" and starting the production all over,that might mean having to add the transitions and your audio files again. Depends on how you go about changing the original production.

Frank...

Resizing your pictures will have no effect on the transitions or the audio (music) you have added, so you won't have to worry about that part. However, if you say you are going to start from "scratch" and starting the production all over,that might mean having to add the transitions and your audio files again. Depends on how you go about changing the original production.

Frank...

But once I resize them I will have to replace the photo's already in the production with the resized photo's right? I'm assuming the original pictures are copied into the production not linked where any change to the original will affect the copy. That would be too easy and for me that never happens. :lol:

But once I resize them I will have to replace the photo's already in the production with the resized photo's right? I'm assuming the original pictures are copied into the production not linked where any change to the original will affect the copy. That would be too easy and for me that never happens. :lol:

Your assumption is wrong. The pictures are linked, for obvious reasons. If they were embedded into your production, you would effictively have your pictures in two different places, needlessly taking up room on your hard drive.

Now, if for whatever reason, you want to keep your original size photos, and then the cropped ones, what you can do is, bring all of the photos into a program like Image Cropper, bulk crop them, then have Image Cropper retain the original name, and save them to a different folder than the originals.

Now, rename your original folder to some other name, and rename the folder that the cropped photos are in, to the orignal name of the folder that the uncropped photos were in to begin with. VideoWave will now automatically link the cropped photos.

Your assumption is wrong. The pictures are linked, for obvious reasons. If they were embedded into your production, you would effictively have your pictures in two different places, needlessly taking up room on your hard drive.

Now, if for whatever reason, you want to keep your original size photos, and then the cropped ones, what you can do is, bring all of the photos into a program like Image Cropper, bulk crop them, then have Image Cropper retain the original name, and save them to a different folder than the originals.

Now, rename your original folder to some other name, and rename the folder that the cropped photos are in, to the orignal name of the folder that the uncropped photos were in to begin with. VideoWave will now automatically link the cropped photos.

Wow that's great, I've downloaded the image cropper program already. Thanks for all your help and also redwagon , you've explained it perfectly for me. Happy Flag Day.

Wow that's great, I've downloaded the image cropper program already. Thanks for all your help and also redwagon , you've explained it perfectly for me. Happy Flag Day.

You're welcome. Let us know how it works for you.

Here is a tip on how to use Image Cropper.:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=31005

I know this thread has been over for months now, but I am also haveing the same problem.. So this image resixing thing.. The images have to be a certain size in order to be viewed in the TV safe zone? You would think you cna just click a button and the software will put them in the safe zone... So anyhow what size do the pictures need to be so that they are in the safe zone?

Thanks..

I know this thread has been over for months now, but I am also haveing the same problem.. So this image resixing thing.. The images have to be a certain size in order to be viewed in the TV safe zone? You would think you cna just click a button and the software will put them in the safe zone... So anyhow what size do the pictures need to be so that they are in the safe zone?

Thanks..

I think you are not understanding how it works. ALL video editors will automatically 'fit' an image to the screen. However, there is portion of that screen that is never seen because some of the electrons actually scan OFF the picture tube (and still does with hidef TV - just not as much). This has been around since they invented the TV and has nothing to do with the software.

I don't know of ANY software that will automatically shrink an image so that it 'fits' only within the TV safe zone. And resizing will NOT solve the problem because the software only 'fits to screen'. Please read through the link above carefully. What you are doing is adding a border around each photo.

Edited by ggrussell

I think you are not understanding how it works. ALL video editors will automatically 'fit' an image to the screen. However, there is portion of that screen that is never seen because some of the electrons actually scan OFF the picture tube (and still does with hidef TV - just not as much). This has been around since they invented the TV and has nothing to do with the software.

I don't know of ANY software that will automatically shrink an image so that it 'fits' only within the TV safe zone. And resizing will NOT solve the problem because the software only 'fits to screen'. Please read through the link above carefully. What you are doing is adding a border around each photo.

Thanks for the input.. I read the article above and tried to open that image cropper, but for some reason the website never opens up.. ANy ideads?

Thanks,

Desi

Thanks for the input.. I read the article above and tried to open that image cropper, but for some reason the website never opens up.. ANy ideads?

Thanks,

Desi

The site must be down. Try again later, or tomorrow.

I have another question that hopefully someone can answer.. Why is it that when I load pictures in a slideshow and put them in order, then I add another picture that I forgot, all of a sudden my pictures are out of order? You would think the picture that was added would just be put at the bottom of the list of pictures right? no it just puts it in there and rearranges the rest of them..

Very frustrating..

Thanks,

Desi

I have another question that hopefully someone can answer.. Why is it that when I load pictures in a slideshow and put them in order, then I add another picture that I forgot, all of a sudden my pictures are out of order? You would think the picture that was added would just be put at the bottom of the list of pictures right? no it just puts it in there and rearranges the rest of them..

Very frustrating..

Thanks,

Desi

It put the picture wherever you dragged it. In Storyline view, drag the picture to the emty frame after your last picture.

ok so now that I have finished my slideshow.. I burned it and ther eare a few pictures beginning that I get a black screen? Can anyone help with this? It only does it for like 3 or 4 pictures.. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks..

ok so now that I have finished my slideshow.. I burned it and ther eare a few pictures beginning that I get a black screen? Can anyone help with this? It only does it for like 3 or 4 pictures.. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks..

Update the drivers for your video card, and burn your production again. If that doesn't work, burn, using Software render.

Hey Grandpa bruce.. thanks for all the help.. I had already updated my drivers before the slide show, so I guess that isn't it. I'm not familiar with Software render, Is that something else I need to purchase? and why is it that it only blacks out a few pictures?

Thanks again..

Desi

Hey Grandpa bruce.. thanks for all the help.. I had already updated my drivers before the slide show, so I guess that isn't it. I'm not familiar with Software render, Is that something else I need to purchase? and why is it that it only blacks out a few pictures?

Thanks again..

Desi

Software render is in MyDVD. You click on Tools/Options, and click in the circle to the left of Software.

First, try this. Make sure that VideoWave is closed, go to My Computer, and browse to the folder where you saved your VideoWave project. You will see a file extension of .dmsm, with the name you gave your production, in front of that. You should also see a .dat file extension, with your file name in front of it. Delete that file, and then burn your production again, using Software rendering.

Well grandpabrce.. I did everything.. I deleted the .dat files and I used software rendering and I still had images that were blacked out.. but this time in a different location of the slidrshow.. I hoe you have more suggestions..

On another note is it possible to add a small video clip at the end of a slideshow?

Thanks,

Desi

Well grandpabrce.. I did everything.. I deleted the .dat files and I used software rendering and I still had images that were blacked out.. but this time in a different location of the slidrshow.. I hoe you have more suggestions..

On another note is it possible to add a small video clip at the end of a slideshow?

Thanks,

Desi

What video card or chip do you have? Have you also updated the DirectX 9 drivers (If you have Windows XP)? You can get the latest, here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Also, did you start that slide show new, in VideoWave, or did you bring the old slide show into VideoWave. If you did the latter, that will cause the problem, too.

Edited by grandpabruce

Well I didn't do anything about the directx9 drivers I'll check on that at home tonight. As far as the slideshow, what did you mean by start a new one? I'm assuming you didn't mean start all over.. All I did was open the file that was already saved.. Is that not what I should have done?

Thanks,

Desi

Well I didn't do anything about the directx9 drivers I'll check on that at home tonight. As far as the slideshow, what did you mean by start a new one? I'm assuming you didn't mean start all over.. All I did was open the file that was already saved.. Is that not what I should have done?

Thanks,

Desi

When you go to burn, encode to a ISO file, view it in VLC and then copy it to a disc if it views the way you expect it to.