Tv Safe Zone Also Menu Question

Slatts

Question

I've created a slideshow in videowave with 180 pics, music, transitions and some pan effect on some slides. It's still in the videowave production phase. Now I'm reading on this forum about the TV safe zone. My question is the imaze resizing a MUST or is it something that might, could, probably not be needed? The thing is I am going to burn multiple copies to distribute so no two tv's, dvd players will probably be alike. Do I have to start over and resize all the pictures?

My second question has to do with the menu, I just want to be able to put in the dvd, have it load to a menu page with a picture I have and have the PLAY option. Press play and the slideshow begins. I guess I'm a little confused between menu's, chapters. sub menus etc. Don't need all the extras. Thank You.

So I thought I figured out the problem but I didn't.. I noticed the same pictures are always blacking out.. and then I noticed all those pictures were saved as bitmap and all the others were jpg. so I changed them and replace them in the project and reburned it to t adisc but still nothing.. I hope someone can help I would hate to have to use this disc at the party with all these jacked blacked out photos..

I know this thread has been over for months now, but I am also haveing the same problem.. So this image resixing thing.. The images have to be a certain size in order to be viewed in the TV safe zone? You would think you cna just click a button and the software will put them in the safe zone... So anyhow what size do the pictures need to be so that they are in the safe zone?

Thanks..

I think you are not understanding how it works. ALL video editors will automatically 'fit' an image to the screen. However, there is portion of that screen that is never seen because some of the electrons actually scan OFF the picture tube (and still does with hidef TV - just not as much). This has been around since they invented the TV and has nothing to do with the software.

I don't know of ANY software that will automatically shrink an image so that it 'fits' only within the TV safe zone. And resizing will NOT solve the problem because the software only 'fits to screen'. Please read through the link above carefully. What you are doing is adding a border around each photo.

So I thought I figured out the problem but I didn't.. I noticed the same pictures are always blacking out.. and then I noticed all those pictures were saved as bitmap and all the others were jpg. so I changed them and replace them in the project and reburned it to t adisc but still nothing.. I hope someone can help I would hate to have to use this disc at the party with all these jacked blacked out photos..

Since it always the same images that are the problem (if we knew that this thread would have been shorter), then yes the image is a problem. First clear the proxy files by going to the top menu, tools, options, click clear.

In Video Wave, double click on the image to get the image editor to open. Do something small to the image, auto fix, add a small color change, blur, etc. Close that. About 99% of the time that will allow that image to show up in the slide show.

In Video Wave, output the project to an mpg2 file (icon above the preview screen) and watch the encoding. You'll be able to see if any panels still show up blank and be able to fix those.

Hi,

How do I convert is to an ISO file and view in VLC? I'm hoping that will fix my problem..

Thanks,

Desi

When you go to burn, select burn to file (ISO) and do not burn directly to disc. Name the file and the location you want it encoded to. An ISO file is a exact duplicate of what will be copied to a disc. You can copy an ISO file to a disc using Creator Classic or Copy and Convert.

VLC is a freebie program that will play the ISO file. If you make the ISO file and play it with VLC and you still have the black images, then your production is screwed up. The only way of fixing it is by using Video Wave (see note below). If the ISO file plays with no blank panels then simply copy it to a DVD.

You can also mount a virtual drive under the tools tab, add that ISO file and play it as if it were a real disc in your computer's DVD reader.

Did you start with Slide Show Assistant that is under the Photos Tab or from the Application menu. If so, that is a three step process where you can do final editing in Video Wave. If you used the two step process from My DVD well ...... :(

Since it always the same images that are the problem (if we knew that this thread would have been shorter), then yes the image is a problem. First clear the proxy files by going to the top menu, tools, options, click clear.

In Video Wave, double click on the image to get the image editor to open. Do something small to the image, auto fix, add a small color change, blur, etc. Close that. About 99% of the time that will allow that image to show up in the slide show.

In Video Wave, output the project to an mpg2 file (icon above the preview screen) and watch the encoding. You'll be able to see if any panels still show up blank and be able to fix those.

Hey thanks for the early response.. So I tried what you said I cleared the proxy and when I double click the picture to make a change to it the small window that opens up is blank and say's "no image".

Any ideas?

OK, well I just restarted the whole thing again and pretty much done it allin videowave.. The only problem I'm having now is I have like a blank introduction panel in the beginning, with the text on it, but it only flashes for like 1 second and I can't seem to grab it to extend the length of the text during that panel.. Also another quick question when I started adding photos I selected 4.5 seconds and now that's to long, how can I shorten it to 4 seconds? I thought it was by the minus button next to the duration tab, but that doesn't work..

Thanks..

OK, well I just restarted the whole thing again and pretty much done it allin videowave.. The only problem I'm having now is I have like a blank introduction panel in the beginning, with the text on it, but it only flashes for like 1 second and I can't seem to grab it to extend the length of the text during that panel.. Also another quick question when I started adding photos I selected 4.5 seconds and now that's to long, how can I shorten it to 4 seconds? I thought it was by the minus button next to the duration tab, but that doesn't work..

Thanks..

In Storyline View, you should be able to click on the panel with the text to select it. Then go up above the preview window and you should have Duration listed. Type in the longer duration that you want. Click out side or press enter to accept it.

Right click on one of the still images in your production and click on Trim in the context menu. There you should find an option to set all still images to whatever duration you choose.

Well grandpabrce.. I did everything.. I deleted the .dat files and I used software rendering and I still had images that were blacked out.. but this time in a different location of the slidrshow.. I hoe you have more suggestions..

On another note is it possible to add a small video clip at the end of a slideshow?

Thanks,

Desi

Well grandpabrce.. I did everything.. I deleted the .dat files and I used software rendering and I still had images that were blacked out.. but this time in a different location of the slidrshow.. I hoe you have more suggestions..

On another note is it possible to add a small video clip at the end of a slideshow?

Thanks,

Desi

What video card or chip do you have? Have you also updated the DirectX 9 drivers (If you have Windows XP)? You can get the latest, here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Also, did you start that slide show new, in VideoWave, or did you bring the old slide show into VideoWave. If you did the latter, that will cause the problem, too.

ok so now that I have finished my slideshow.. I burned it and ther eare a few pictures beginning that I get a black screen? Can anyone help with this? It only does it for like 3 or 4 pictures.. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks..

Update the drivers for your video card, and burn your production again. If that doesn't work, burn, using Software render.

Well I didn't do anything about the directx9 drivers I'll check on that at home tonight. As far as the slideshow, what did you mean by start a new one? I'm assuming you didn't mean start all over.. All I did was open the file that was already saved.. Is that not what I should have done?

Thanks,

Desi

Well I didn't do anything about the directx9 drivers I'll check on that at home tonight. As far as the slideshow, what did you mean by start a new one? I'm assuming you didn't mean start all over.. All I did was open the file that was already saved.. Is that not what I should have done?

Thanks,

Desi

When you go to burn, encode to a ISO file, view it in VLC and then copy it to a disc if it views the way you expect it to.

Thanks,

Desi

If you used the Slide Show Assistant to create the slide show, found out it wasn't working for you, and opened that Assistant file in VideoWave, then yes, that is the reason you are having problems. You need to do your slide show, totally in VideoWave, meaning anything that you did in the Assistant is junk, and you need to start from scratch.

Well I was able to finally get a clean DVD.. the only thing is I had to remove the pictures that were always blacking out, and I had to use software rendering. SO I tried to put the pictures back in and do it over but it wouldn't work. When I double click on the picture in storyview I would get a blank window that say's no image..

I think you are not understanding how it works. ALL video editors will automatically 'fit' an image to the screen. However, there is portion of that screen that is never seen because some of the electrons actually scan OFF the picture tube (and still does with hidef TV - just not as much). This has been around since they invented the TV and has nothing to do with the software.

I don't know of ANY software that will automatically shrink an image so that it 'fits' only within the TV safe zone. And resizing will NOT solve the problem because the software only 'fits to screen'. Please read through the link above carefully. What you are doing is adding a border around each photo.

Thanks for the input.. I read the article above and tried to open that image cropper, but for some reason the website never opens up.. ANy ideads?

Thanks,

Desi

Well I was able to finally get a clean DVD.. the only thing is I had to remove the pictures that were always blacking out, and I had to use software rendering. SO I tried to put the pictures back in and do it over but it wouldn't work. When I double click on the picture in storyview I would get a blank window that say's no image..

Then those pictures are corrupted.

Oh no, if that's the case I'm toast!! I completed the slideshow in the assistant and saved it then I opened up video editor and fixed the songs and stuff, and saved that , then I opened it from mydvd and added the slideshow.. is all that ok?

No, it isn't ok. The junk Slide Show Assistant did you in, as it has for a multitude of folks here. I would venture to guess, that about 99% of the folks, who did their projects over in VideoWave, had success in getting a burn without the black pictures.

That is why I told you to do your production in VideoWave.

Hey Grandpa bruce.. thanks for all the help.. I had already updated my drivers before the slide show, so I guess that isn't it. I'm not familiar with Software render, Is that something else I need to purchase? and why is it that it only blacks out a few pictures?

Thanks again..

Desi

Software render is in MyDVD. You click on Tools/Options, and click in the circle to the left of Software.

First, try this. Make sure that VideoWave is closed, go to My Computer, and browse to the folder where you saved your VideoWave project. You will see a file extension of .dmsm, with the name you gave your production, in front of that. You should also see a .dat file extension, with your file name in front of it. Delete that file, and then burn your production again, using Software rendering.

Archived