Mac Os 10.5.3 And Toast 8.04

az26570

Question

Since upgrading to 10.5.3, Toast 8.04 application unexpectedly quits when trying to make a disc image either during multiplexing or during disc write. Have trashed the 2 Roxio preferences, rebooted, redid the video_ts folders I wanted to compile, but problem persists. Have sent a crash log to Apple. Where would I send a copy of the problem log to Roxio? Thanks.

5 answers to this question

There is a Contact Support link on the main Roxio Support page.

Is this only happening when the source is a VIDEO_TS folder? Are you having Toast do Fit-to-DVD or are you just trying to make a disc image or burn a DVD from the existing VIDEO_TS folder? Have you tried using the DVD-ROM(UDF) setting in the Data window instead of using the Video window?

What audio format is in the VIDEO_TS folder?

There is a Contact Support link on the main Roxio Support page.

Is this only happening when the source is a VIDEO_TS folder? Are you having Toast do Fit-to-DVD or are you just trying to make a disc image or burn a DVD from the existing VIDEO_TS folder? Have you tried using the DVD-ROM(UDF) setting in the Data window instead of using the Video window?

What audio format is in the VIDEO_TS folder?

I 'm trying to make a continuous play compilation DVD from 3 VIDEO_TS folders. They have to be compressed so I must use the DVD-Video window area to create the compilation there and then select make disc image, then use the Copy-Image File window to burn. This process has been successful until I upgraded to Mac OS 10.5.3. Now Toast unexpectedly quits while attempting to make a disc image in the DVD-Video selection.

Using the DVD-ROM(UDF) window, I can make a disc image OK, but of course, as I'm left with 3 individual disc images I cannot compress or combine them in this field.

The audio in the VIDEO_TS folders is empty.

Here's how to do what you want:

Place one of the VIDEO_TS folders on the desktop. Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Some text will appear in the browser window. Double-click on that text and the video titles that are in that VIDEO_TS folder will be listed along with a thumbnail image for each title. Select the one you want and drag it to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Toast will extract the MPEG video file from the VIDEO_TS folder, writing it to the Roxio Converted Items folder.

Now remove that VIDEO_TS folder from the desktop and do the same process with your other VIDEO_TS folders. It also works the same to have a VIDEO_TS folder in the Movies folder, but it cannot be inside any other folder.

Once the MPEG files are extracted from each of the VIDEO_TS folders set up Toast the way you want to author the new video DVD, either as a disc image or as a burned DVD.

I didn't explain myself very well when I asked about the audio. There never is any audio in an AUDIO_TS folder. What I want to know is whether any of the videos you are putting in this compilation have PCM audio (which sometimes is described as 48 khz AIFF audio). Some versions of Toast have had problems when using MPEG files containing PCM audio. If your videos have AC3 or MP2 audio there shouldn't be any problem. The type of audio is described when you add the video to the Video window. If any of your videos have PCM audio there may be a workaround I can suggest.

tsantee,

Thanks for the help. The audio in these folders is Dolby Digital, stereo, 48000 Hz. Otherwise, I had been doing the compilations as you suggested.

I was hoping that something was different about your approach. Have you checked to see if Toast is crashing during a process with the same one of the three extracted MPEG files? I really don't think Toast 8.0.4 has an incompatibility in this way with OS 10.5.3 so I keep searching for some other explanation such as a problem with a specific video file.

You say Toast also crashed when burning from a disc image. That seems to eliminate the possibility that it is associated with a specific file.

The only thing I can think of is to use Rember or the extended test on Apple's Hardware Test disk to extensively test your Mac's RAM. This could be a defective RAM issue.

Archived