Viewing Dvd Problems

D_Shives

Question

I have been using DVD-R. I will try to use DVD+R

Open DVDInfo Pro under Roxio EMC 9 tools with your -R disc in your DVD Drive. The window that opens on the right side is drive information, you said "LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S....firmware revision : BPSA". Your four versions behind on the firmware.

Click the 'Info' icon at top and your DVD media information is shown, click the clipboard icon and it saves the info so you can right click and paste it in a post here.

Lite-On SOHW-1633S detail information write speeds CDR48 x CDRW24 x DVD-R8 x DVD-RW4 x DVD+R16 x DVD+RW4 x DVD+R DL2.4 x

cd

Burn at 2x or 4x - never at the rated max speed

Strange thing - cheap and cheerful DVD players from A.Non of Taiwan will play almost anything you feed them - the top-end ones that cost an arm and a leg are downright fussy

Open DVDInfo Pro under Roxio EMC 9 tools with your -R disc in your DVD Drive. The window that opens on the right side is drive information, you said "LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S....firmware revision : BPSA". Your four versions behind on the firmware.

Click the 'Info' icon at top and your DVD media information is shown, click the clipboard icon and it saves the info so you can right click and paste it in a post here.

Lite-On SOHW-1633S detail information write speeds CDR48 x CDRW24 x DVD-R8 x DVD-RW4 x DVD+R16 x DVD+RW4 x DVD+R DL2.4 x

cd

Here is the info. Also, what is the latest firmware version?

Media Information

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG. AM3

Format Type UDF 1.02

Volume Name

Application id

Implementation id Roxio , Canada

Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 6/15/2008 19:49:45

Format Capacity 3.85GB(4.13GB)

Book Type DVD-R

Media Type DVD-R

Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown

Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps

Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

2x Speed OPC beta 09

2x Speed OPC power 0D

2x Write Strategy field 1 14 98 88 90

2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta 07

4x Speed OPC power 17

4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0E 09 04

4x Write Strategy field 2 95 07 0D 0B

4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06

4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 17

4x Write Strategy field 4 15 B8 99 85

4x Write Strategy field 5 B8 9A 32 03 20 32

4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00

Data area starting sector 30000h

Data area end sector 1EC5DFh

Linear Density 0.267um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 84 0D 12 .l...@....R.....

00000010 98 99 90 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 00 04 47 2E 20 .....CMC MA..G.

00000020 41 4D 33 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0D 14 AM3.............

I did try TDK disks and had the same problem. I used memorex disk before and did not have this problem. The only problem before was that the dvd play was choppy, start stop pause.

BSOY click here....

Have you ever made a good disc with this spindle of media?

Are you saving the project 'output as, DVD Video folder set or Image file?' Or encoding and burning to disc in one operation?

Do you have other source files to try and output as a Image file, then use Disc Copier to burn the Image to a DVD disc, just to test?

cd

I tried a project with just 2 videos on it. They were the same video just one was MPEG-2 and the other was WMV. The MPEG-2 still had the trailing effect while the WMV did not. But the WMV was not quite as clear. I can live with the WMV if I have too but would really like to have the best pictures possible. I did create a disk image file then used Classic Creator to burn to dvd. Any reason for the difference?

Any reason for the difference between my WMV and MPEG-2? Just wondering.

Any reason for the difference between my WMV and MPEG-2? Just wondering.

Just possibly that the wmv file is lower definition (lower Mbits per second) so you can't see the trailing effects especially when it is then later converted to mpg2. The mpg2 file may be encoded at a higher Mbits per seconds so you can see the effect. You could possibly test that by changing the setting in My DVD to encode at a lower Mbit rate.

Are the original files from the same capture source (camcorder)? Where they captured the same way? What frame rate; some camocrders have several options.

This is grasping at straws. Did you ever take the DVD and try playing it on another DVD player?

How much total time are you trying to put on a DVD?

Just possibly that the wmv file is lower definition (lower Mbits per second) so you can't see the trailing effects especially when it is then later converted to mpg2. The mpg2 file may be encoded at a higher Mbits per seconds so you can see the effect. You could possibly test that by changing the setting in My DVD to encode at a lower Mbit rate.

Are the original files from the same capture source (camcorder)? Where they captured the same way?

This is grasping at straws. Did you ever take the DVD and try playing it on another DVD player?

How much total time are you trying to put on a DVD?

I used Any Video Convert program to convert both files from vob

I tried a different DVD player same problem.

The amount of time is way less than max for disk.

BSOY click here....

Have you ever made a good disc with this spindle of media?

Are you saving the project 'output as, DVD Video folder set or Image file?' Or encoding and burning to disc in one operation?

Do you have other source files to try and output as a Image file, then use Disc Copier to burn the Image to a DVD disc, just to test?

cd

sorry for the delay...I have been out of town at a wrestling tournament. Most of the disks I have burned from this spindle has worked for most part...just sometimes gets choppy.....I burn and encode at same time...Never used Disk Copier

I used Any Video Convert program to convert both files from vob

I tried a different DVD player same problem.

The amount of time is way less than max for disk.

Why didn't you just add them to Video Wave? This throws a big unknown into the mix. Have you tried getting any information from them?

Did you make an ISO file and try playing that with VLC or by mounting a virtual drive and playing the video on CinePlayer.

Mxx for a disc at best quality is one hour. Why can't you have just said how much time?

Why not answer all my questions regardless of how unimportant they seem to be to you?

Google for the error, you'll find lots of hits not related to Roxio.

Why didn't you just add them to Video Wave? This throws a big unknown into the mix. Have you tried getting any information from them?

Did you make an ISO file and try playing that with VLC or by mounting a virtual drive and playing the video on CinePlayer.

Mxx for a disc at best quality is one hour. Why can't you have just said how much time?

Why not answer all my questions regardless of how unimportant they seem to be to you?

Google for the error, you'll find lots of hits not related to Roxio.

Did not mean to upset anyone. My practice dvd was only 10 min on a mini disk and my original dvd was 59 min on a regular dvd.

What kind of info do you need? Should I have imported from camcorder using Video Wave?

I did create an ISO file, but did not download VLC to play it.

Buy one or two of each and see if any work better than another. I get Verbatim's or Tayo Yuden, as has been suggested previously.

I tried burning it at a slower speed...it looked worse

I changed one of the video files to WMV and it did not seem to have the trailing effect but the video quality was not as clear.

Read your instruction manual. You put the downloaded firmware on a CD or DVD, press the magic buttons on the player and voilà, an update. You'll have to look at the manufacturer's web site to see if any firmware is available.

Did not find any updates for player. Any other suggestions?

sorry for the delay...I have been out of town at a wrestling tournament. Most of the disks I have burned from this spindle has worked for most part...just sometimes gets choppy.....I burn and encode at same time...Never used Disk Copier

Turn that answer into an always.

When you go to burn in MyDVD, select burn (encode) to an ISO file. Name the file and set the location where you want it. The project will encode that will take the time. Once it is encoded, just use Disc Copier or Creator Classic to copy that ISO file to the disc; that will be quick.

Creating the ISO file has three advantages. First, your computer is not trying to encode and burn at the same time so sharing CPU time is not an issue. Second, you can preview the ISO file on your computer by mounting a Virtual Drive (under tools in EMC 9) or by using a program that will play that ISO file (for instance VLC). If it looks good there and not after you've burned it, then your burner, the disc or the player is the problem. Third if you ever want to make copies of the video (to send to recruiters or family) then all you have to do is copy that ISO file again no need to re-ecode it.

Go back to the earlier suggestion and forget Memorex and use a decent brand

my video files are mpeg-2

Here is my container according to GSpot

DVD "VOB" format

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }

Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

I noticed a lot of people having problems with mpeg2 files...could this be my problem

I tried burning it at a slower speed...it looked worse

I changed one of the video files to WMV and it did not seem to have the trailing effect but the video quality was not as clear.

Actually, something else that surprisingly hasn't come up here, is to ask if you're using DVD-R or DVD+R media, and if you've tried the "other" type. I have one player (the more expensive one) that definitely prefers DVD+ media. My cheap, $30 Magnavox is happy with either "dash" or "plus" media. If all you've used is one type, try the other type.

Turn that answer into an always.

When you go to burn in MyDVD, select burn (encode) to an ISO file. Name the file and set the location where you want it. The project will encode that will take the time. Once it is encoded, just use Disc Copier or Creator Classic to copy that ISO file to the disc; that will be quick.

Creating the ISO file has three advantages. First, your computer is not trying to encode and burn at the same time so sharing CPU time is not an issue. Second, you can preview the ISO file on your computer by mounting a Virtual Drive (under tools in EMC 9) or by using a program that will play that ISO file (for instance VLC). If it looks good there and not after you've burned it, then your burner, the disc or the player is the problem. Third if you ever want to make copies of the video (to send to recruiters or family) then all you have to do is copy that ISO file again no need to re-ecode it.

Thanks for all the help...I tried to update my firmware for writer and it won't let me...here is the error message

No match drive detected!

This utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S drive

Detected drives

0-0-0-0 E:LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BPSA

0-0-1-0 F:SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A B402

Do I need to install all the updates before this one?

Archived