• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

DaniK

Verify Doesn't Work (mostly)

Question

:rolleyes:

So, after disappointment I suffered with Nero, I turned back to Easy Media Creator, but it seems that another one is waiting 4 me here :unsure:

Problem is, verify doesn't work always !?! What is even weirder is that I am not changing any settings, but once it work, other time not. I am using software only to burn data DVDs, so nothing fancy or special.

Can someone pls explain me step-by-step how to activate verify function, cause maybe I missed some step

Thnx a lot, guys

6 answers to this question

Depends on if you use Creator Classic or The Home app.

In Creator Classic go to File,Project Settings and on the General tab check "Automatically verify file system after recording".

In the Home app hit the Options down by the burn button,go to Data and Backup and check the box that says "Verify data written to disc after burning".

Edited by tbrewst

Thnx 4 reply tbrewst

I am using Creator Classic, and option is already checked. Problem is, that it doesnt always do verify. Mostly, only thing he do, is finish burning, says its complete, and that is all. From 5,6 DVDs I burned so far, it only did once verifying. Settings were same for all DVDs, but he did it only once.

Any idea???

If you have 'Verify' checked then it is going to work each and every time.

I think the problem, which you have never really stated, is that 'Verify' does not do what you think it should do

From what I can tell, verify checks the file names and length of files on the disc against the files from your Project and little else.

You are probably hoping that it checks the integrity of the files, but it does not.

I wrote a utility that did do a Byte by Byte comparison and I can assure you it took hours to work through a CD at the Byte level. A better utility would have been comparing at the Bit level but I only spent about 20 minutes writing it…

What I do is:

• Never multi-task while writing
  • Use good quality discs, such as Verbatim
  • Never write files from a network (local HD only)
  • Random Check the integrity of several files after writing.

I wrote a utility that did do a Byte by Byte comparison and I can assure you it took hours to work through a CD at the Byte level. A better utility would have been comparing at the Bit level but I only spent about 20 minutes writing it…

There are a few free tools that check CD in a few minutes.

There is no difference in checking at byte and bit level- when you compare bytes you compare bits of a byte, isn't it? Or do you mean subchannel data?

Hmmm,

when I say Verify, I mean something Nero-like (so for 4,7 GB DVD, it lasts some 3 mins). And that is exactly what he did once, when it was stated in burn-dialog "Verifying data, file 5/31", and when he was comparing it to original file. But that happened only once, and every other time he just show "burning data", and once finished, thats it, he doesnt show anywhere verifying, and most certainly he doesn't do it :(

To be honest, verifying is normally a complete waste of time.

Back in the days when an external CD writer cost a cool grand, and blanks ran at about one pound starling apiece, I was making a disc for the firm I worked for and got the following advice:

"Don't bother verifying after burn - all that will do is tell you the disc is either faulty or it works - and it takes a long time to work that out. Just write it, put it in the computer and, if it works, it works - if not it's faulty."