• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Read Sony H.264 File In Videowave

OzTim

Question

I have a Sony HDR-SR10E hard disk camcorder, which according to the manual saves in H.264 format - also describing this as MPEG-4 and AVC.

The camcorder downloads these as files with the extension .mts.

According to the Roxio Knowledgebase http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000085CR EMC 9 should accept H.264 files.

I've installed the Sony software and it has no trouble playing the files, but it is so limited as to be almost useless.

If I rename the file .mpg it will preview in windows explorer and play in media player. However, videowave will still not recognise it, it will not preview and attempting to import produces the message that the file is not editable and has not been imported.

:huh:

How can I get videowave to recognise these files?

5 answers to this question

Would you go here and download GSpot v2.60 RC01 - 19 Nov 2006 (one I use in XP) GSpot is a free utility which identifies the codec required to play an AVI file and supplies other information as well.

Now load in your renamed .mts to .mpg file into GSpot, under container what does it read? Example 'File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream Mime Type: video/mp2t'....

cd

You may need an external codec - use gspot to check if you have the codecs installed and, if not, what codec you will need

I have appropriate codecs installed, as I said, windows explorer & media player have no troubles with these files.

I have appropriate codecs installed, as I said, windows explorer & media player have no troubles with these files.

nts files are not natively supported. They have to be converted first.

•Microsoft AVI (avi)

•MPEG1 (mpeg, mpg)

•MPEG2 program stream (mpeg, mpg, mpeg2, mp2, m2s)

•MPEG4 (mp4)

MPEG2 transport stream (m2t, tp, trp) Note: conversion is required prior to editing.

•MediaCenter recorded show (dvr-ms)

•Windows Media Video (wmv, asf)

•QuickTime (mov)

Did you get any kind of notification to convert the files? Does you Sony camera convert them if you finalize the disc?

nts files are not natively supported. They have to be converted first.

•Microsoft AVI (avi)

•MPEG1 (mpeg, mpg)

•MPEG2 program stream (mpeg, mpg, mpeg2, mp2, m2s)

•MPEG4 (mp4)

MPEG2 transport stream (m2t, tp, trp) Note: conversion is required prior to editing.

•MediaCenter recorded show (dvr-ms)

•Windows Media Video (wmv, asf)

•QuickTime (mov)

Did you get any kind of notification to convert the files? Does you Sony camera convert them if you finalize the disc?

Unfortunately file extensions are not as reliable an indicator of file content as would be nice so until proven otherwise I'm considering the .mts extension a red herring. According to available information the file content is mpeg 4 - specifically mpeg 4 part 10, which also goes by the acronyms of avc & h.264

The specifications page for emc includes

Video: AVI, DV-AVI, HD-V, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG2-HD, DivX, DivX HD, WMV, WMV HD, H.264, MP4, 3GP

So I have a file it claims to be able to read without having to make some external conversion. (btw "finalising" is not relevant - it's a hard disk recorder which transfers files direct to the pc - it looks like an external hard drive to the pc)

My initial thoughts were that renaming to some other extension might do the trick - as I mentioned it is only when renamed .mpg that windows is happy.

What is at stake here is whether I pay for the upgrade to emc 10 or go buy software that actually works...

Archived