Sd Encoding In Dvdit Pro Hd

Seamus Byrne

Question

I see in the SD encoding area there is no mention of Top Field, Bottom Field or Progressive Scan for either NTSC or PAL.

My present footage on the timeline is HD 720/29.97p which is Progressive. I want to burn a Standard DVD in Progressive NTSC and a BD DVD in High Def.

Can I presume that DVDit Pro HD retains the field order/progressive scan in transcoding to SD DVD?

Is it better to do the transcoding in another program? Is the quality just as good in DVDit?

Seamus.

4 answers to this question

if your footage is 720p 29.97, it is going to be transcoded to 480i 29.97 in DVDit for a DVD. the only way to get 24p DVD in DVDit is if your original footage is 23.976...then I believe it will do 3:2 pulldown and make a progressive DVD. as to Blu-ray output, 720p 29.97, if it is truly 29.97 that is not a legal resolution. the program has been created to maintain frame rate first for Blu-ray output, so that would be transcoded to 1080i 29.97 which is the nearest legal Blu-ray resolution at that frame rate. the legal 720p resolutions are 23.976, 24, 50 and 59.94.

if your footage is 720p 29.97, it is going to be transcoded to 480i 29.97 in DVDit for a DVD. the only way to get 24p DVD in DVDit is if your original footage is 23.976...then I believe it will do 3:2 pulldown and make a progressive DVD. as to Blu-ray output, 720p 29.97, if it is truly 29.97 that is not a legal resolution. the program has been created to maintain frame rate first for Blu-ray output, so that would be transcoded to 1080i 29.97 which is the nearest legal Blu-ray resolution at that frame rate. the legal 720p resolutions are 23.976, 24, 50 and 59.94.

Thanks for the information.

If I encode in another encoding program to a 29.97 progressive mpeg2 DVD stream, will DVDit hold the progressive or re-encode to 480i?

Seamus.

I believe DVDit needs to be fed 23.976 video in order to output a progressive DVD.

I encoded, in another program, an SD mpeg2 stream of progressive 29.97 material. Hallelujah, it went straight through DVDit Pro HD as an SD stream without any re-encoding.

Seamus.

Archived