• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help, Can't Open Toast 5 Cd Files With Toast 7 In Os Tiger

drnibs

Question

I am desperate. I created many archival CDs in Toast 5 (in Mac OS 9) and saved index files in Toast of the contents, called CD Files. I just updated to Toast 7 because 5 was bombing in my current OS, Tiger.

I cannot open the CD files in Toast 7. When I double-click on a CD file, a dialog says "The volume 'Macintosh HD' couldn't be found. 52 files and 1 folder will be ignored." Or "The file '(whatever)' couldn't be found. Would you like to look for it?"

So I browse to the CD files folder but in it the files are grayed out.

Other times it says "The application Toast Titanium quit unexpectedly...", or "The file 'MyStock300 (or whatever)...dpi tiffs-1 CD' is corrupt and cannot be used."

The files aren't corrupt. Why can't my Toast 7 open v.5 CD files?

I am on a Mac dual 2 GHz G5 with 3.5 GB RAM and 150 GB HD running OS 10.4.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

Okay, I'm going to take this one step at a time so I don't get confused.

<<..you saved the Toast 5 project when you burned the CDs and somehow included that file with the CD. I'm not sure how you did that,...>>

When I burned a CD in v.5 on my old G3/4, OS 9 and clicked Quit, Toast would always ask if I want to save an index (or whatever) in "CD Files," i.e., a folder on my HD that kept indexed records of all I had recorded—not the graphic images themselves. When I migrated to a G5 Tiger, I made a CD containing the CD Files and loaded them onto my new HD in the Toast 7 folder. I don't know if we're on the same page here.

<<...but if the CD file you are referring to is the file that gets written when clicking Save in Toast,...>>

I think it was when I clicked Quit after burning a disk. The CD File is a folder containing an index of every CD I burned in Toast, openable in Toast, listing the titles of the graphic files I burned.

<<...then it doesn't point to anything on the disc. Instead, it points to the original files on the hard drive when they were dragged into the Toast 5 window. That's why you get a message that the volume can't be found: it isn't there anymore.>>

Here you've lost me. But I got an idea: What if I were to take the actual CDs I burned and create new CD files of them? All I want is indexes of the content on my HD so I don't have to store the actual CD media on my HD.

<<It appears to me you need to create new directories from those discs. If these are photos or other media files then a good application for this is iView Media. An OS 9 version of iView was included with Toast 5. You might be able to use it to get an upgrade price on the current version.>>

I have Toast 7, I'll see what version of iView I can find for it. I'm on a G5 in OS 10.4.6, so I need the very latest patch.

Thanks, good thoughts.

Rob

Yes, we're referring to the same CD files and you've figured out what I was trying to describe. As for your workaround to create new CD files with Toast, I think that should work. Drag the CD to the Toast Data window and then choose Save. The resulting list on that file will point to the individual items on the CD. You'd need to name the file so you knew which CD it referred to. This isn't the best approach to CD cataloguing though. You can search VersionTracker.com for cataloguing applications. The advantage of using those is they can show or play a preview of the file on disc and make it easy to open or extract that file. They also have file searching capabilities and can have a single file for searching what's on multiple discs.

Another good option for you is to copy all the CDs to a folder on your hard drive and use Toast's disc spanning feature to create a new set which includes a directory. Toast writes a file to the disc that helps you find anything on the spanned set of discs. You can read about this feature under the Disc Spanning heading in Toast Help.

Dude, I hate to tell you, but I doubt anyone here will be of any help. I was an avid Toast 5 user and I cant find one single image file that I still have from Toast 5. I think you are problably going to have to contact Roxio directly.

I tried to reach Roxio through "Roxanne" (no help), online chat (I got cut off and told lines were no longer open), everything short of shelling out a starter fee of $35 to discuss with a human being what seems a bug in their product. V.7 and 7.0.2 will not open files made in v.5. Seems a pretty basic problem. Why would you think nobody wants or can help me? Do you think I should place my question in the Toast 5 folder? Roxio is not going to help me. They've shut the door.

Well I understand your frustration. I suspect that the problem is because they probably tested compatiblity between version 5 and 6, and then again between 6 and 7. If you owned Toast 6, you might try opening the files in Toast 6 and then saving a new image file from Toast 6. Then in turn try opening that image file in Toast 7.

If all else fails, you might have to bite that $35 bullet. Almost no one has free support these days, not even good old Apple themselves.

I am desperate. I created many archival CDs in Toast 5 (in Mac OS 9) and saved index files in Toast of the contents, called CD Files. I just updated to Toast 7 because 5 was bombing in my current OS, Tiger.

I cannot open the CD files in Toast 7. When I double-click on a CD file, a dialog says "The volume 'Macintosh HD' couldn't be found. 52 files and 1 folder will be ignored." Or "The file '(whatever)' couldn't be found. Would you like to look for it?"

So I browse to the CD files folder but in it the files are grayed out.

Other times it says "The application Toast Titanium quit unexpectedly...", or "The file 'MyStock300 (or whatever)...dpi tiffs-1 CD' is corrupt and cannot be used."

The files aren't corrupt. Why can't my Toast 7 open v.5 CD files?

I am on a Mac dual 2 GHz G5 with 3.5 GB RAM and 150 GB HD running OS 10.4.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand this correctly you saved the Toast 5 project when you burned the CDs and somehow included that file with the CD. I'm not sure how you did that, but if the CD file you are referring to is the file that gets written when clicking Save in Toast, then it doesn't point to anything on the disc. Instead, it points to the original files on the hard drive when they were dragged into the Toast 5 window. That's why you get a message that the volume can't be found: it isn't there anymore.

It appears to me you need to create new directories from those discs. If these are photos or other media files then a good application for this is iView Media. An OS 9 version of iView was included with Toast 5. You might be able to use it to get an upgrade price on the current version.

If I understand this correctly you saved the Toast 5 project when you burned the CDs and somehow included that file with the CD. I'm not sure how you did that, but if the CD file you are referring to is the file that gets written when clicking Save in Toast, then it doesn't point to anything on the disc. Instead, it points to the original files on the hard drive when they were dragged into the Toast 5 window. That's why you get a message that the volume can't be found: it isn't there anymore.

It appears to me you need to create new directories from those discs. If these are photos or other media files then a good application for this is iView Media. An OS 9 version of iView was included with Toast 5. You might be able to use it to get an upgrade price on the current version.

Okay, I'm going to take this one step at a time so I don't get confused.

<<..you saved the Toast 5 project when you burned the CDs and somehow included that file with the CD. I'm not sure how you did that,...>>

When I burned a CD in v.5 on my old G3/4, OS 9 and clicked Quit, Toast would always ask if I want to save an index (or whatever) in "CD Files," i.e., a folder on my HD that kept indexed records of all I had recorded—not the graphic images themselves. When I migrated to a G5 Tiger, I made a CD containing the CD Files and loaded them onto my new HD in the Toast 7 folder. I don't know if we're on the same page here.

<<...but if the CD file you are referring to is the file that gets written when clicking Save in Toast,...>>

I think it was when I clicked Quit after burning a disk. The CD File is a folder containing an index of every CD I burned in Toast, openable in Toast, listing the titles of the graphic files I burned.

<<...then it doesn't point to anything on the disc. Instead, it points to the original files on the hard drive when they were dragged into the Toast 5 window. That's why you get a message that the volume can't be found: it isn't there anymore.>>

Here you've lost me. But I got an idea: What if I were to take the actual CDs I burned and create new CD files of them? All I want is indexes of the content on my HD so I don't have to store the actual CD media on my HD.

<<It appears to me you need to create new directories from those discs. If these are photos or other media files then a good application for this is iView Media. An OS 9 version of iView was included with Toast 5. You might be able to use it to get an upgrade price on the current version.>>

I have Toast 7, I'll see what version of iView I can find for it. I'm on a G5 in OS 10.4.6, so I need the very latest patch.

Thanks, good thoughts.

Rob

Just to add a bit...

Toast has two SAVE options (well 3 really if you consider burning a disc)...

1. File > Save (which saves a Toast project)

or

2. File > Save As Disc Image (which is like burning a disc, but it saves it to your hard disk, not optical)

A Toast project contains pointers to files on your hard disk, but not the files itself. When you open a Toast project, it fetches the apporpriate files from the various locations and brings them into the Toast window.

A Disc Image contains all the files, so if you delete the originals or move their location, the image file would still have them.

Both Toast projects and Toast disc images are forwards compatible... meaning, the project files can be opened in newer versions, and the disc images can be mounted in newer versions. That said, if the source files are no on your hard disk anymore, the Toast project won't be able to find them.

It's always safest to burn a disc image if you want to store something on your hard disk.

So a CD I burned containing the old CD files only—but no data for tracing their location on my current hard disk—would not provide the CD files' location to Toast 7 as it searches on my new computer? And that's why I got the "The Volume Macintosh HD cannot be found" message..?

I thought since my current hard disk is named Macintosh HD, that would get Toast's attention.

So, is the solution to create a new directory of CD files? That would be easy to do. Can I do it in Toast, or only iView Media?

Thanks,

Rob

One more thing: Why am I the only guy on the forum with no orange box or lined-paper icon displayed next to my topic?

Just to add a bit...

Toast has two SAVE options (well 3 really if you consider burning a disc)...

1. File > Save (which saves a Toast project)

or

2. File > Save As Disc Image (which is like burning a disc, but it saves it to your hard disk, not optical)

A Toast project contains pointers to files on your hard disk, but not the files itself. When you open a Toast project, it fetches the apporpriate files from the various locations and brings them into the Toast window.

A Disc Image contains all the files, so if you delete the originals or move their location, the image file would still have them.

Both Toast projects and Toast disc images are forwards compatible... meaning, the project files can be opened in newer versions, and the disc images can be mounted in newer versions. That said, if the source files are no on your hard disk anymore, the Toast project won't be able to find them.

It's always safest to burn a disc image if you want to store something on your hard disk.

Archived