Send My Edited Video Back To The Camera

ldcros

Question

I have successfully captured HD video from my Canon HV20 and edited it in EMC 10. Worked great. I love it. Now I would like to record the production back to my camera so that I can show it in full HD on other TVs. The documentation with the camera indicates the IEEE 1394 port will recieve digital video. Is there a way in EMC 10 to output the production to the camera via the IEEE 1394 connection?

11 answers to this question

You are probably right, Gary. I don't have an HDV video camera.

When I do the "Output As" and use the DV Camera tab all that appears to do is create a .avi file on my hard drive and as you guys said it's not HD. But say I wanted to go ahead and use the SD version how do I get that file out to the camera? My Camera is not showing up in the "Device" box under the Preview side of the "Make Movie" screen.

The HV20 must be set to standard definition MANUALLY. That way it shows up in Windows like any other miniDV camcorder.

I'm getting closer. The

I'm getting closer. The

I'm getting closer. The HV20 now shows up on the output as screen but nothing is going to it. the production is still going to my hard drive as a .avi file.

Yes, the app must create the AVI on the hard drive first and then it sends the file to the camcorder.

1: Only one choice here DV AVI

2: Location it will create file

3: Create the file

4: Make sure the Canon HV20 shows up here

5: Click Start OUTPUT to send that file to the camcorder

post-49-1213800986.jpg

Yes, the app must create the AVI on the hard drive first and then it sends the file to the camcorder.

1: Only one choice here DV AVI

2: Location it will create file

3: Create the file

4: Make sure the Canon HV20 shows up here

5: Click Start OUTPUT to send that file to the camcorder

Got it. That worked. Thanks for all your help. Now I just wish it would do it in HD.

We're hoping the next version has better hidef support fro HDV and AVCHD camcorders. Very few apps will send hidef back to camcorders right now, but there are a few.

Is this also a windows xp mce driver issue because when the camera is in HDV mode it does not even show up in the MY COMPUTER folder. I didn't even realize it until you told me to manually switch it to DV mode. Before it only showed up when I had the camera set to stills.

I don't think that the fact you have Media Center Edition has anything to do with it. Windows treats still cameras and camcorders in several different ways. For example, I can set my Fuji S7000 to 'camera' mode or 'mass storage' mode. How it shows up in Windows depends on how I have it set.

Camcorders can use totally different methods of recording video. Standard def uses DV AVI compression. HDV uses MPEG 2 and AVCHD uses MPEG 4. Then add to the mixture that some of the new camcorders don't use firewire, but USB 2 instead. Within the next year or so, I think most software will catch up to the new hardware.

I have successfully captured HD video from my Canon HV20 and edited it in EMC 10. Worked great. I love it. Now I would like to record the production back to my camera so that I can show it in full HD on other TVs. The documentation with the camera indicates the IEEE 1394 port will recieve digital video. Is there a way in EMC 10 to output the production to the camera via the IEEE 1394 connection?

You sure can, assuming that you did your editing in VideoWave, which is the program to do that.

Open VideoWave, bring in your VideoWave production, click on File/Output As, and when the next screen comes up, click on the DV Camera tab. Then browse to your video camera, and record it.

Archived